V for Vendetta

Took me about an hour to design this. I've been trying to brush up on my skills as more of a professional designer rather than a recreational one, so my works might start looking more 'appealing' later on and all. I'd seriously appreciate feedback, because I'm actually pretty proud of this one.

Tried to keep it true to some of the posters there were already for the movie, yet not so close to their style that it's like a clone. So far from the feedback I've gotten, I not only did that but also made it look like something they'd expect to see in a theater. So I'm confident enough to post it here now :)

Link

VforVendetta2.jpg

Yeah, the name thing I'm planning on fixing now because originally I had them centered, and only now do I noticed I didn't finish de-centering them, lol.

Idolized has a good point on the text at the top, the names at the top should be more... symmetrical... for lack of a better word.

Also, I like it, but I think maybe, maybe, you should add a little bit of shadow coming out from the main cut. Not so much that it's really prominent, but enough so that it spreads out a good deal on either side, to add a bit more spice to the cut. Alternatively, maybe duplicate the layer, motion blur the lower most one, and blend it to achieve the same effect. Yeah. But don't over do it, less is more, I think.

Also, maybe find a few... movie poster... element... things... to put at the bottom. Extended cast list, dates, rating, etc.

Also, a few more tedious things, fix the blending on the hat. Portman's head passes through it. And, while elements of the poster do pass through the lower half of the main cut, it would probably look better without it effecting the hat. I would also do a little light brushing/burning on the hat, to make it a bit darker, as the costume seems to be just a tad darker than the hat. A minor thing, yeah, but still.

There, done with that... the names are fixed now.

Also, not all theatrical posters have super small credits ;)

Bravo! great job. as other said the names are a little hard to read and the small blending errors around the hat. other than that I'm loving it

There, touched it up again. You guys made some good suggestions that I should have thought of to begin with, now I feel dumb xD

And I'm grateful for that man, thanks.

Fixed things up again, how's it look now?

The only remaining fault I can see, and it's quite trivial, would be to make the font on the bottom-most text just a little smaller, no more than two or three sizes, as it comes close to going over the edge on the right hand side. I didn't even notice it at first, so it's obviously nothing earth shattering.

Other than that, yeah, I love it. (Y)

Fixed the bottom font, changed the top effect on the actor's names because I realized italisizing them would actually work better due to the slants in the background, and I dulled the shadow just a tad as from a distance I noticed it looked a bit too strong.

I'll start off by saying it's pretty standard at that size.

HOWEVER. Imagine it blown up. I mean huge. On an exremely large scale. That's when I'd say it'd be great. I can imagine absolutely loving it if I saw it huge outside the cinemas or something.

Good work, Norris.

The logo is one of the official logos for the movie, so there's not much I could do there dawson considering I was keeping it true to the professional designs.

Font I tried to keep close to another font they used for a poster of theirs, and the whole glow/shadow thing around the main cut was suggested to be put on. When I get back I'll make another version without it, we'll see how that looks with all the other changes.

EDIT: and as an aside, what do you mean 'the main cut should be better'? Majority of the V for Vendetta posters have V, the priamary characer, placed in the shadows to keep him obscure yet the focus of the poster all at once. The rest have him sharing the spotlight with Portman's character.

If you mean the cutting, it's really hard to make it any better then what it is, considering the fact that the cutting is (and this isn't me having an ego, there's just no cutting it any other way) as perfect as it can get for the image I've selected.

Considering there aren't many other images that are large enough, much less would work with the poster itself, that's the only one I can really work with.

Just saying, you're kinda being vague with your reply there, not really giving me much to work with other then 'the shadow looks icky', which I *can* work with, but everything else doesn't help much.

What about the text detracts? Should I try to find a font that matches the official logo more? What should I do with the main cut that would make it better? Compare this poster to the official ones, I was trying to keep it true to their style, as most film companies develop one for their posters that the designers for them are asked to follow.

You gotta give me a bit more then what you've given me there if you want me to make it look better, dawson.

Edited by The Mask of Norro

The logo is one of the official logos for the movie, so there's not much I could do there dawson considering I was keeping it true to the professional designs.

You could have changed the colour/added a bevel/drop shadow/whatever to liven it up a bit. It just looks rather plain and boring to me. I've seen quite a few variations of the logo, I'm just saying the plain white one seems very plain to me.

Font I tried to keep close to another font they used for a poster of theirs, and the whole glow/shadow thing around the main cut was suggested to be put on. When I get back I'll make another version without it, we'll see how that looks with all the other changes.

You don't have to use the same font that other posters have used, I don't like it on the poster. Again, just my opinion. I think the glow looks poor, I'm not sure whether it would look better with a different glow or without one, but the one on it now doesn't look too good.

EDIT: and as an aside, what do you mean 'the main cut should be better'? Majority of the V for Vendetta posters have V, the characer, placed in the shadows to keep him obscure yet the focus of the poster all at once. The rest have him sharing the spotlight with Portman's character.

If you mean the cutting, it's really hard to make it any better then what it is, considering the fact that the cutting is (and this isn't me having an ego, there's just no cutting it any other way) as perfect as it can get for the image I've selected.

Considering there aren't many other images that are large enough, much less would work with the poster itself, that's the only one I can really work with.

I wasn't bashing the choice or positioning of the actual cut, because that's good, it's the quality of the cutting around the edges that looks poor (jaggy) in places. I'd like to see the picture you cut.

Edit:

Just saying, you're kinda being vague with your reply there, not really giving me much to work with other then 'the shadow looks icky', which I *can* work with, but everything else doesn't help much.

What about the text detracts? Should I try to find a font that matches the official logo more? What should I do with the main cut that would make it better? Compare this poster to the official ones, I was trying to keep it true to their style, as most film companies develop one for their posters that the designers for them are asked to follow.

You gotta give me a bit more then what you've given me there if you want me to make it look better, dawson.

I dislike the surnames being below the first names at the top, I think it would look better side-by-side. And I would consider changing the font, possibly to a serif one, as I don't think it suits.

Main cut, as I said should have been cut better for it to be the focal point of a "professional" poster.

Just because you've made it true to the other poster designs for the film doesn't mean I have to like it. I could hate the other posters (I haven't seen them).

And I don't want you to make it look better, you want it to look better, I'm giving feedback like the others. By all means ignore it if you disagree with my opinions.

Edited by alldawson

It's not so much that I disagree with you at all, it's that you didn't elaborate in your first reply. Now that you've elaborated, I have plenty on my plate to work with on the design.

As I said, I want this as professional a design as possible, so all the help I can get is appreciated, and I'm glad you've voiced your opinion.

You might say the other posters don't look professional either actually, I don't know, but the fact is regardless of what you do and don't think is professional, you've given me some useful feedback which I can work with now, rather then what you had before.

EDIT: How does it look now?:

Link: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/Norr...orVendetta3.jpg

VforVendetta3.jpg

Edited by The Mask of Norro

I prefer that version. The red V spices up the bottom brilliantly. I'd change the bevel on the Vendetta text though, perhaps something thinner and sharper, I'm not entirely sure without seeing it done.

The cut looks better and IMO it looks better without the glow.

I would try making the names at the top a bit smaller and I'd like to see what it looks like with the names white to match the other text on the poster, perhaps with a thin drop shadow to make them stand out against the background.

I think you should also try rearranging the slogan at the bottom, to make it clear the 'People should not be...' goes with the 'Governments should be...' text. At a quick glance you would think the 'People should not be...' text is the subtitle of the film and the bottom text is the slogan on its own.

Fixed it up dawson to what you said, whatcha think now?