Ted Turner's Return

Toe

Ted Turner's Return To Pro Wrestling

By Desired Toe

The "war" between the World Wrestling Federation (later changed to World Wrestling Entertainment, or WWE) and World Championship Wrestling started out with a bang - on the very first WCW Nitro competing with WWE's RAW (each show was on at the same time, Monday night) saw Lex Luger, one of the WWE's top stars, appear on Nitro. The ensuing battle saw people switch sides, some of them numerous times, as each side tried to out do each other in the ratings. Bret “The Hitman” Hart, one of wrestling’s biggest stars, even went from WWE to WCW amid a storm of controversy. Two wrestling companies, putting there best out there. It was a great time to be a wrestling fan.

The end of the "war" brought great anticipation and excitement. The emergence of The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin in the WWE managed to give them the edge needed to beat WCW, who had entered into a tailspin creatively. After a failed bid by Eric Bischoff to save WCW, Vince McMahon struck the final blow of the "Monday Night Wars" by purchasing WCW. On the final episode of WCW Nitro, Sting and Ric Flair, WCW stalwarts who carried the company during its trying times, wrestled and then hugged. WCW was dead.

The World Wrestling Federation teased the WCW fans however, with a "WCW Invasion" storyline with Shane McMahon leading WCW against the WWE. Poor booking that made WCW seem inferior at every turn killed the angle and any hope for WCW fans. The WCW stars were made to look weak. The image of World Championship Wrestling had been tarnished, and now WCW is nothing the butt of a joke for many in the wrestling industry.

One man who felt the impact of this more then any other was Ted Turner. A love of wrestling had seen Turner purchase Jim Crockett Promotions in 1989, and he had put WCW on his own television station, TBS. It was Turner's money that pushed WCW into the race to become the #1 wrestling promotion in North America, allowing WCW to grab such mega-stars as Hulk Hogan and “The Macho Man“ Randy Savage from the WWE. The downfall of WCW, brought on by horrible booking and monetary mismanagement, as well as uncooperative talent, killed not only WCW and Time Warner's interest in showing wrestling on there networks, but also killed Turner's love of wrestling. Turner had watched what was once the #1 wrestling promotion dive into a pit of oblivion, all within a span of 3 years. Turner did not want to see wrestling ever again.

Total Non-stop Action, or TNA, was a wrestling promotion started in 2002 as an alternative to the WWE's dominance of the North American wrestling market. Although it was never seen as competition by Vince McMahon and the WWE, TNA managed to grow and gather a small but rabid fan base. When TNA Wrestling managed to secure a television deal with Spike TV, not only did it peak the interest of the WWE, but also Ted Turner. His 5 year agreement with McMahon to not promote any wrestling, which he had signed with no regret, was over. And seeing another company do what his WCW had done years ago re-ignited the spark Turner had for wrestling.

Turner went on a wrestling spree. He watched everything TNA - there old shows on DVD and there pay per views as they came out. Turner even watched his old rival, WWE and Monday Night RAW every Monday. On February 24, 2006, Turner announced that he would not seek re-election as director on the AOL Time Warner board of directors. Turner had no interest in remaining with AOL Time Warner, bitter that it was one of the reasons why WCW went to Vince McMahon and not Eric Bischoff and Fusient Media, who planned on keeping the historic wrestling promotion alive. His love of wrestling had returned to him, and now he was ready to give professional wrestling a second go.

Edited by desiredtoe

I had dealt with being related to Ted Turner through out my life. Living in Atlanta, everyone knew who Ted Turner was, and going through high school, people thought I was privileged, like I had some sort of unfair advantage because I had one of the richest men in America as my uncle. I didn’t share my uncle's wealth, but I did share his love of professional wrestling. I remember watching "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes going toe-to-toe with "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair in a steel cage. That was my high school experience - when I wasn't watching wrestling, my friends and I spent our time talking about it.

After high school, I attended Harvard. I know I didn't have the grades, but being related to Ted did have it's advantages, I guess. I didn't like receiving the favourable treatment, but when you get to go to Harvard, for free, your not going to argue or protest. I got a business degree, graduating by the skin of my teeth. But staying up late and watching Sting fight Cactus Jack didn't help my final paper. Uncle Ted's wrestling business was getting better and better - well, except that whole Shockmaster thing.

I got a job with TBS, selling advertising time for the many programs on the channel. I continued to watch WCW programming, I looked down on the WWF as childish. I started to get comfortable in my job, and wrestling was becoming the most exciting thing on television as WCW started to compete directly with the WWF. I was actually there at the Mall Of America when Nitro made it's debut, getting a personal invite from my uncle. Seeing Lex Luger appear blew my mind away, Pastamania did not. I was there, I watched it all happen. I watched in awe as Nitro flew up the ratings while RAW tanked. I was there when the Outsiders threw Rey Misterio into a production truck as if he was a lawn dart. And when it went downhill for WCW, it was a very depressing time for me, a diehard WCW fan. After the death of WCW, I couldn't bring myself to watch wrestling anymore. Especially after I saw how Vince McMahon buried the legacy of WCW with his "Invasion" angle.

Now, it is April 2006. Same old job, boring but steady. I had seen my uncle on holidays and the normal junk, but really hadn't made any effort to talk to him. However, I got a strange call from him, telling me to go to his home where he was about to make an announcement. Something in his voice told me it was going to be big. I was there when Ted Turner, my uncle, revealed to the world that he was once again going to enter the North American pro wrestling market. He had a fire in his eyes as he spoke, and I was an immediate believer. But I still can’t believe what happened the next day.

I was in my Atlanta apartment. I was still a little bewildered by the announcement from the day before, when the phone rang. It was my uncle, Ted Turner. After a short discussion, with him assuring me he was not full of shit, he asked me a simple question.

"Hey Brad, why don't you come on down here and work for me?"

I was a little confused, and asked him what he meant. I didn't really want to be his accountant or butler or something.

"You know this wrasslin' thing I am puttin' together? I need someone to run this thing, and you went to Harvard! I had to buy half a library for that one, you know."

I was in a state of shock, but managed to get out an acceptance before dropping the phone. Minutes later, I called him back, and was again assured that he was not full of shit. I was filled in on the details, I would be Vice President, much like Eric Bischoff was in WCW. I was in charge, I was the boss. And I had a PPV to plan for May 14th, for a wrestling company without a roster and without a name. Joy.

I thought I knew what I was getting myself into. So, I resigned from my comfy job with TBS (those "funny" commercials were getting on my nerves anyways) and went right into what I thought was going to be a dream job!

Edited by desiredtoe

PWInsider.com Exclusive!

Sources have told us that Ted Turner, who announced yesterday (April 6th 2006) that he was returning to the world of professional wrestling by introducing a new promotion to the North American markets, has named his nephew Bradley Hutchison to be Vice President of the new company, which is yet to be named. Hutchison has no experience in the wrestling world, but possess a degree in business from Harvard.

Already, Turner is being accused of nepotism, hiring a relative who has no experience at all in the wrestling market when several talented and experienced people are available.

Another piece of gossip which is now looking to be fact is that Turner has already secured a PPV deal, using his connections he has gained through the years and possibly his check book to obtain the spot. Rumour has the debut pay-per-view coming as early as May 14th, which leaves the company with little time to promote the event. More to come as this story develops.

PWInsider.com - News

April 9th 2006

With many people doubting whether this new wrestling company funded by Ted Turner can even get off the ground, the company and it’s now official Vice President Bradley Hutchison (the nephew of Ted Turner) have taken a large step towards actually being a wrestling promotion.

They have a name.

The name for the company, as announced today alongside the announcement of the company’s website, is World Wide Championship Wrestling (WWCW). Calls to the WWE’s legal department have been met with many “no comments”, but it is likely that the WWE will take legal action, seeing how similar WWCW is to the now dead name of Turner’s former promotion WCW (the rights to which are owned by WWE). The website for the new promotion is www.WWCW.com.

WWCW.com

News / April 9th, 2006

World Wide Championship Wrestling (WWCW) is proud to announce that it’s debut show “THE NIGHT OF CHAMPIONS” will be on pay-per-view, live, on May 14th 2006. WWCW strives to be an alternative to the other forms of professional wrestling by bringing the public the best stars and the most talented wrestlers. Announcing the event for the viewers at home as it happens will be former WCW and NWA play-by-play man Tony Schiavone and former WCW champion Diamond Dallas Page!

WWCW is also proud to announce a list of some of the wrestlers signed on to appear on WWCW’s debut pay-per-view “THE NIGHT OF CHAMPIONS” on May 14th.

Appearing:

Barry Windham

Ernest “The Cat” Miller

Ricky Morton and Robert Gibson, The Rock N' Roll Express

Rick Steiner

Ultimo Dragon

Mark Jindrak

Ron and Don Harris

And many more!

As more wrestling superstars are signed onto this historic event, the news will be here first on WWCW.com!

Edited by desiredtoe

Going into this, I knew I was going to be over my head. I had been a wrestling fan all my life, but that only gave me a sense of who the big names were, and a little bit of insight into the storylines. My business degree from Harvard had me prepared for the business side, like booking the venue and working out the advertising deals. But I knew my lack of experience in the wrestling business would hurt me. So, I immediately set out to get some help.

The first person to help was was Diamond Dallas Page, or DDP. I had called him up to offer him a wrestling position at the show, but he told me he wasn't exactly in the mindset to wrestle right now. But he jumped at the chance to be the colour commentator for the show. We had a pretty long discussion, with DDP giving me tons of advice and tips about the inside workings of the business. He sounded excited to be a part of this whole thing. Just talking to Page gave me a huge boost of confidence.

I also talked to Tony Schiavone, who was the first person who I managed to sign. However, he seemed less then enthused to help me out. I got the strange feeling that he had signed on purely for the pay check. I didn't get much advice from him. It was really strange talking to Tony, as he was completely different then the person I thought he was when I watched Nitro those many years ago. He seemed to be annoyed by my call, so I didn't keep him long.

Then, a complete and pleasant surprise occurred. A wrestler called me. He told me he was directed to me by Diamond Dallas Page, and that what DDP had told him was exciting. He wanted in. I was blown away....this was huge!

Edited by desiredtoe

WWCW.com

News / April 12th 2006

World Wide Championship Wrestling has huge news to impart to it’s fans today. A big name has just be confirmed to be appearing at “THE NIGHT OF CHAMPIONS” on May 14th, 2006. This man is a former WCW and WWE champion, and has pinned legends from across the globe.

Bill Goldberg!

IPB Image

Goldberg has signed a contract with WWCW confirming his presence at “THE NIGHT OF CHAMPIONS”. In a statement released exclusively to WWCW.com, Goldberg said “I am excited to be apart of WWCW, and I only have one question for WWCW management. Who’s first?”

WWCW managment is also proud to announce that they have come to advertising agreements with Domino's Pizza and New Line Cinema. Both parties are extremely happy with the arrangment.

Then get writing. I'm actually quite into this diary - and that don't happen much. I'm looking forward to how you handle. I'm hoping for a slow build up, with less big stars, and more former WCW stars (like you've already brought in). I do like the Goldberg inclusion, though.

Bah, you only like Goldberg because of that honnokah sketch >_>

To be fair, I only read it because Summers replied and I'm stalking him, however, I am also intrigued with this diary despite my initial thought of you being alternateyou, which I apologise for >_>.

Sticking to the more 'WCW' of the roster would be the best way to go for a more truer version, and then building guys up. Tis how I expect it to go anyways, good luck.

The hard part for me is sticking to the WCW feel. I just realised how many ex-WCW'ers are out of wrestling or already tied up with another promotion. Thats why Barry Windham = major player. If you looked at my roster in the game, you would probably cry at how lame it looks. But, I think it's cool. I have some plans.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The day of the show grew closer and closer, and I grew more nervous each day. It was now May 1st. We had the location set - Phillips Arena in Atlanta. It wasn’t my choice though. The arena seats 20,300 people, and us being a new promotion, I seriously doubt we can pull even half of that. But Uncle Ted was adamant that this was the place. And since Atlanta was his town, I went along with it. It was his money, anyway.

The advertising campaign was in full force. All across North America were commercials starring Goldberg mainly, promoting the hell out of this event. I had heard stories about Bill Goldberg, with many saying he was not one to go along with the bookers, and a jerk. But Bill seemed to really embrace the promotion and the idea of being here from the beginning. Or maybe he realized that he was the only man signed before that could be the Champion. Well, I try to see the best in people. Bill was game to spear people we hired from the local independents all day long for the commercials, and with some good narration and editing, I think the ads turned out well. I did have a good amount of experience in that.

On April 29th, I managed to snag another wrestler who could potentially put butts in the seats. This guy definitely was not here to help me though, he immediately asked for a gigantic contract and creative control. It took me along time to think about it. WCW had died in part because of old men who where unwilling to help the company, to do something to better the company. But, as a completely new company, we needed some big names. We weren’t even the #2 promotion, since TNA Wrestling already had a television deal - something Uncle Ted couldn’t get for us despite his contacts. So, I called the man back and faxed him a copy of the contract that our legal department (otherwise known as my dad, Norm) had drawn up. But I wasn’t going to announce this signing. As important as it was to draw people to this PPV, it would be equally as important to get people to talk about it afterwards. So, the debut of this man will be a surprise.....I hope.

Edited by desiredtoe

I think a "lame" looking roster is what could make this great. IMO, it'd be like a bunch of guys on their second chance, or ones that never made the cut in WCW before, trying to bring back the glory days of a former promotion.

I've got a couple of ideas on who the new signing might be, but I'll keep them to myself and not think about it, so I can be surprised.

WWCW.com

News / May 2nd 2006

WWCW is proud to announce the signing of a new talent today. After being released from his contract by a rival promotion, WWCW immediately showed interest in this incredibly talented and accomplished wrestler. A mutliple time WCW Champion and a former WWE Champion, and one of the most decorated tag team wrestlers ever, KEVIN NASH has agreed to terms and will be at "THE NIGHT OF CHAMPIONS" on May 14th 2006.

IPB Image

Former WCW and WWE Champion Kevin Nash

Along with this news, the first matches for WWCW's debut event "THE NIGHT OF CHAMPIONS" have been announced. In a display of foreign talent, WWCW is proud to bring you ULTIMO DRAGON, one of the most accomplished cruiserweight wrestlers of all-time, going head to head with YUJI NAGATA, one of the biggest names in Japanese wrestlers and a former WCW TV Champion. Also, two veterans of the game will square off, going head to head to bring a sample of old school wrestling. BARRY WINDHAM will face off with RICK STEINER!

Signing Kevin Nash for the amount of money I did was a gigantic risk. Nash has never been a team player for one, and has always had injury problems. But, again, I was really desperate to get my hands on a some talent that people could possibly recognize. It took 3 hours of bargaining back and forth to get him to abandon a creative control clause - I may be stupid, but I am not that stupid. I still remember how it was the booking of Kevin Nash that killed Goldberg's winning streak when it still had life to it. It was Kevin Nash who helped to ruin the credibility of the WCW World Heavyweight Championship. But in the back of my mind, signing Kevin Nash to this contract was something to celebrate. Because now, if I wanted to, I could make him pay for the death of WCW, forcing bad gimmicks on him and having him loss constantly to no-name wrestlers. I could do that. I won't do that, but it felt rather good to know I could do that.

My assistant, Sophie, said that we should have more youthful wrestlers on our roster to build towards to future. I told her that she wasn't the boss, and to get me some coffee.

I was still trying to get help with the whole "lack of experience" thing. On May 1st, the WWE cut some staff. I looked through the names, and saw one that I needed to have. So, the WWCW has a new writer - Ted Dibiase! I was so happy to bring Ted on board. I'm no hardcore Christian, but I am a "Million Dollar Man" mark. Hopefully, I'll be able to rely on his experience and knowledge to make WWCW a successful promotion. The WWE also released Tony Chimel, who was Smackdown's ring announcer before being cut. I picked him up, as we didn't have a ring announcer. He didn't want a huge contract, which made me more then willing to bring him in as our ring announcer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PWInsider.com EXCLUSIVE

May 3rd 2006

An unnamed source has told us at PWInsider that WWCW boss Bradley Hutchison has been in talks with Randy Savage and Vader, as late as 10:30 ET this morning. WWCW is looking for more "names", recently signing Kevin Nash and Bill Goldberg for there debut show "The Night Of Champions".

Our source also has named Lex Luger, Marcus "Buff" Bagwell, Terry Funk (who is semi-retired) and even Brock Lesner, who is wrestling in NJPW. This source is a credible source, and whether these talks lead to any more signings will be seen on WWCW.com and right here on PWInsider.com!

Edited by desiredtoe

My assistant, Sophie, said that we should have more youthful wrestlers on our roster to build towards to future. I told her that she wasn't the boss, and to get me some coffee.

I dunno what you were talking about... lame? THe Roster looks solid...

Sure Goldberg and Nash are two non-talented wrestlers but... They are names and its smart to have themmm just like Hogan is with WWE...

Looks to be solid... Can't wait to read more.