Which Pokemon game do I get?

Quom

I've never played Pokemon, in fact I have openly mocked those who do. However Chris' diary has piqued my interest. Since I'm not a pokenerd I have no idea which of the 70000000 versions would be best for me. I only have a DS so it has to be compatible with that. If you need any extra info fire away. I'm also not opposed to waiting for the DS versions to come out if you guys think it's worth it.

You'll have to forgive my spelling as I wouldn't have a clue, but does Emerald have any of the following: Charmander, Bulbasor, Squirtil, Pikachu etc. Basically the ones that are in the early cartoons?

Guest clintcasey

Nope, you'll want Fire Red or Leaf Green for those. The two are actualy a remake of the original Red/Blue versions. Whiever ever one you choose it up to you, they're prety much the same accept that there are some pokemon that can be captured on either one version or the other without tading with someone else that you know that has the other game.

Go buy a used Game Boy Color and get Pokemon Yellow, if you are more familiar with the early cartoons. You start off with Pikachu as your first Pokemon, just like the cartoon, and he has some new animations made just for that version of the game.

I have Pokemon Blue and Yellow, and I liked Yellow a lot more than Blue. (Picked Squirtle for my starter in Blue, in case anyone is curious)

Guest clintcasey

Why buy a gameboy color for that, game boy advanced can play all the old games just fine.

In any case the only place to get yellow is in specialty game shops these days, besides yellow is just a bastardized version of Red and Blue versions that was only created so that it would follow the anime instead of the original rpg, which the games where always better than the anime anyways.

Edited by clintcasey

Guest clintcasey

*puts on a used car salesman suit* And of course if you want an updated version of the same game with more features get fire red or leaf green.

Guest clintcasey

Eh, don't listen to him, if you want a game with the old pokemon get fire red or leaf green since both are just updated versions of the original game. Besides any copy of Red or Blue that you'll find anywhere these days is most assuradly used and been played for many many hours and they're probably not in the best condition. Ontop of that, they're practicly the same game they just swap some capturable pokemon around. Plus you can trade between the new versions as well as the two new games that are due out this year for Nintendo DS.

If you use Red and Blue you can only trade between Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, and Crystal. All of which are over five years old now.

Edited by clintcasey

Why buy a gameboy color for that, game boy advanced can play all the old games just fine.

In any case the only place to get yellow is in specialty game shops these days, besides yellow is just a bastardized version of Red and Blue versions that was only created so that it would follow the anime instead of the original rpg, which the games where always better than the anime anyways.

Edited by Quom

I don't have an advance I have a DS which only plays DS and advance games. As such after taking in all of the advice I'll get either leaf green or fire red. Does it particularly matter which one, or are they both pretty much the same?

They're the same gameplay- and storyline-wise, but like all the other generations of Pokemon games, you can't get certain Pokemon in one version, and can in the other, so you'd need to have both if you want to obtain all of them.