Final Fantasy

RPS

The Final Fantasy website

Wikipedia entry on Owen Pallett (aka, Final Fantasy)

Pitchfork review of his new CD

Artist profile on Pitchfork

Top 5 Reasons You Should Check Final Fantasy Out (in no order)

His new CD is called... He Poo's Clouds. He meant the title as in "this shit don't stink".

He plays the violin, and that is fucking badass.

Has apparently clashed with Square Enix over the name of his band, but refuses to change it.

His new album is based upon the elements of Dungeons and Dragons (a song for each element)

He named himself after the video game and wrote...

lfinal fantasy x is entirely, wholly gay, from start to finish. the female characters were so weak that they had to make an all-girl sequel. you can tell that gays are pulling the strings when none of the characters have beards. also, a lot of father-son conflicts. final fantasy vii is absolutely, supremely gay. cloud is a tortured homo, hiding his true feelings by pretending to be conflicted between tifa and aeris. then aeris dies and he can spend the rest of his life "never getting over her" when really, he's having a hard time actually killing his tortured homo crush. the final scenes of final fantasy vii could've been taken from a mishima novel. the least gay final fantasy is final fantasy vi. also, the most enjoyable.

That is all.

I've been singing this guy's praises for a while now, he's truly doing something different in the world of rock and roll, but he doesn't milk the hell out of it and use it as a gimmick, he just goes about it like usual and plays some superb music. Although I've only heard a handful of his solo work, his stuff with This Arcade Fire (I refuse to drop the This from their name) and Death from Above is very, very cool.

If you like that, check out the Hidden Cameras. He played some string arrangements for some of their songs. They have one the most fun live shows you could ever imagine.

This guys a fucking cunt, insulting Final Fantasy like that even though he uses Final Fantasy as a name. And he should change the name of the band, he doesnt own the rights to that name. And their music is not even that good by listening to "Song Song Song".

Isn't the guy himself actually gay?

Yep. He played with the Hidden Cameras (the band I mentioned before), which is a gay folk band.

This guys a fucking cunt, insulting Final Fantasy like that even though he uses Final Fantasy as a name. And he should change the name of the band, he doesnt own the rights to that name. And their music is not even that good by listening to "Song Song Song".

He wasn't insulting Final Fantasy. He plays and loves the games. And I am pretty sure it doesn't matter if he owns the rights to the name or not, because I am pretty sure the trademark Final Fantasy doesn't apply to music. Square Enix apparently got his website shut down, but now it is reopen at it's new location.

And about him not being good, that is purely opinion, but the guy is talented. He is classically trained musician and can write a damn catchy and well arranged song.

As you can probably tell, I'm a big fan of the games but I don't have a problem with him using the name. I've never actually heard any of his songs, but I have seen the albums a few times and have been tempted to check him out.

...and I think calling him a cunt is a tad childish, don't you think? Even if he was ripping the games to shreds, it's called an opinion and everyone has one.