The Mike Patton/Faith No More and Dresdon Dolls Pimping Thread.

ROC

[20:03] ROC: roc06.wordpress.com: Muse - Black Holes and Revelations review up.: Have you heard Peeping Tom's album yet?

[20:03] ap.shampoo@gmail.com: who's that?

[20:04] ROC: roc06.wordpress.com: Muse - Black Holes and Revelations review up.: Mike Patton from Faith No More's latest project.

[20:04] ap.shampoo@gmail.com: who now from what now.

[20:04] ROC: roc06.wordpress.com: Muse - Black Holes and Revelations review up.: You've never heard of Faith No More?

[20:05] ap.shampoo@gmail.com: yes actually.

[20:05] ap.shampoo@gmail.com: >_>

[20:09] ROC: roc06.wordpress.com: Muse - Black Holes and Revelations review up.: I must hear that Dresdon Dolls CD...

[20:10] ap.shampoo@gmail.com: who now.

[20:10] ROC: roc06.wordpress.com: Muse - Black Holes and Revelations review up.: Goddammit, I can't talk anything with you unless it's Fallout Boy.

[20:10] ROC: roc06.wordpress.com: Muse - Black Holes and Revelations review up.: :-P

[20:11] ap.shampoo@gmail.com: fall OUT boy.

"Yes, Virginia" is an overproduced and too-slick-for-it's-own-good piece of shit album. It doesn't fit the style of the Dresden Dolls, which is supposed to be "punk cabaret".

Mike Patton's better days, IMO, were spent with Fantomas. Faith No More was nothing special to me, and I'm probably one of the few that feel that way. Peeping Tom is good, but it's not that good. It is one of the better albums of 2006, though. I just wish Sucker was never recorded.

"Yes, Virginia" is an overproduced and too-slick-for-it's-own-good piece of shit album. It doesn't fit the style of the Dresden Dolls, which is supposed to be "punk cabaret".

Mike Patton's better days, IMO, were spent with Fantomas. Faith No More was nothing special to me, and I'm probably one of the few that feel that way. Peeping Tom is good, but it's not that good. It is one of the better albums of 2006, though. I just wish Sucker was never recorded.

I like Sucker. :crying:

Yeah, I'd meant to have asked if there was a reason you wished it hadn't been recorded other than you not liking it?

Personally, I like it, and just thought it was Patton going for a little bit of a curve ball, considering what Norah Jones usually does music-wise.

Faith No More > Mr Bungle > Fantomas, IMO.

If you take out the "commercial" stuff, Mr Bungle is much better than Fantomas.

In my opinion, it would go more Mr. Bungle > Faith No More > Fantomas/Melvins Big Band > Fantomas > Patton & Zorn > Patton & Rahzel > Patton & Merzbow > Assorted others.

But that's being pedantic. Mr Bungle are, in my opinion, the greatest band Patton's been involved with, with "None Of Them Knew They Were Robots" eclipsing pretty much anything else he's ever done. The Mr Bungle Live @ The Bizarre Festival DVD is incredible too.

Fantomas' film soundtracks album is superb, but other than that they're not really close to Mr Bungle, and FNM were just a great listenable rock band. His stuff with Rahzel and his stuff with Merzbow is pretty interesting, but doesn't come close to any of his more well-known projects, while his stuff with Zorn, while good, doesn't really hold up to being nearly as good as it could have been, other than their work together on an album of John Zorn and friends covering Ennio Morricone songs.

I haven't heard Peeping Tom yet, curses.

Oh, and the Dresden Dolls are all kinds of wonderful. I recommend The Tiger Lillies to everyone who likes them.

Yeah, I was just sticking with the ones I'd heard more of, pedantic bastard :P

I dunno if you'd like Peeping Tom to be honest. Mike Patton says it was his take on "pop", and it doesn't seem to me to be something you'd enjoy. I dunno, I'm probably wrong though.

Yeah, I was reading an interview with Patton in Plan B in which he called Peeping Tom a pop album...I'm going to give it a listen, because I'm a huge Patton fan, and I don't generally find "pop" to be as much of a dirty word as many rock fans do, but I'm not setting my expectations overly high.

Then prepare to be blown away. >_> That's what I did (set my expectations low, I mean), I heard the first single performed on Conan O'Brien with Rahzel & Dan The Automator; I fell in love with the single and eventually I decided to seek out more tracks.

What makes you think you're my only.. lover?

The truth kinda hurts, don't it, mother..fucker!

Edited by Captain Obvious

I liked "Sucker" too, because it was a different sort of track for both Patton and Jones. Then again, I did like Norah Jones back in the day (hard to believe I'm calling 2001 back in the day but...). But yeah, I honestly can't see why you wouldn't like it, barring Jones's appearance, Tristy.

I'm suprised that no one has mentioned Tomahawk yet...too 'metal'?

Faith no More was great, and incredibly unique, especially for it's time. It was for fans of rock, metal, alternative, and experimental -- and not too many people can do that.

If we're talking Faith No More as a whole, let's not forget about Secret Cheifs (Yes, yes, no Patton). That's a little TOO out there for alot of people but I did it. It's like middle eastern music...but, not too middle eastern if you can understand that.

Best album a cross between Angel Dust and King for a Day... for me. I love angel dust, don't get me wrong, but King For a Day was far more upbeat and diversified. Again, I can't really pick an absolute number one out of these two. Both have ALOT of things going for them.

I can't get into Fantamos, but I appreciate what he does there.

Peeping Tom I think is OK. Not bad...different. Many elements of FNM.

FNM > Tomahawk > Mr. Bungle > Secret Cheifs/Melvins > everything else.

Funny, a few minutes before seeing this thread, I stumbled on a peeping tom review.

Enjoy

http://www.getunderground.com/underground/...m?Review_ID=374

I've hard limited Faith No More. Quite a lot Dresdon Dolls and I like them. I got this album purely to here the Norah Jones track (Because I :wub: Norah Jones) and it's good stuff. Especially the Norah Jones track. Catchy as hell. And there's something highly arousing about Norah Jones's voice.

Edited by BillyGunnPinchedMyBum

I'm suprised that no one has mentioned Tomahawk yet...too 'metal'?

For who? :P

I merely didn't mention them because I've only really heard about two songs, whilst the others I mentioned I have a couple of albums for.

I'm trying to get around to checking most of Patton's collaborative works at the moment. I really dig the Lovage collaborative work which I'd heard a small while ago, just needing to move on to some of the others now.