Justin Timberlake announces new record FutureSex/LoveSounds

ROC

Justin Hot for "FutureSex"

By Josh Grossberg Tue Jun 20, 3:02 PM ET

Get ready, ladies,

Justin Timberlake has your "SexyBack."

The erstwhile 'N Syncer has announced plans to release his second solo effort, FutureSex/LoveSounds, via Jive Records on Sept. 12, with the first single, "SexyBack," going out to radio stations across the country July 7.

The collection is a follow-up to Timberlake's 2002 multiplatinum breakout, Justified, which debuted on the Billboard charts at number two, won two Grammys and has sold more than 3.5 million copies, per Nielsen SoundScan.

FutureSex/LoveSounds was cowritten and coproduced by the former boy bander with assists from Timbaland and Nate Hills.

Additional studio wizardry was provided by veteran producer Rick Rubin and Black Eyed Peas' emcee Will.i.am, who collaborated with Timberlake on the tracks under the moniker JAWBreakers, which the rapper explained to Billboard stands for "Justin and Will Breaks."

"It's Justin and I's production team when we do things together," he told the trade in January. "We did half of Justin's record and some songs on Macy Gray's new album."

As for FutureSex' sound, Will.i.am declared nothing but admiration for the "Rock Your Body" singer's new direction and burgeoning superstardom.

"I can't explain it, that's how dope it is," the musician said in Billboard. "I was surprised that I was even going to like Justin Timberlake. Then he turned me into a fan, and I've become a fan. That means you are so talented that you are changing people's vocabulary."

Notably missing on the record are the Neptunes, with whom JT cowrote and coproduced the bulk of Justified.

In anticipation of the album, Timberlake will kick off an international promotional blitz in July, starting in Europe and Japan. He'll then return to the U.S. to try out the new material during a club tour launching in August. Dates and venues will be unveiled in the coming days.

While the 25-year-old popster preps FutureSex's big release, he's also been working on his acting chops.

Timberlake turned up at the Sundance Film Festival earlier this year to hype his starring role in Nick Cassavetes' new drama, Alpha Dog, about a drug dealer who became one of the youngest men to make the FBI's most wanted list. The film is due out next January. Timberlake is also appearing in Donnie Darko director Richard Kelly's upcoming sci-fi flick, Southland Tales, which premiered at the Cannes Film Festival last month.

Timberlake recently wrapped the blues drama Black Snake Moan with Samuel L. Jackson and Christina Ricci, and is set to lend his voice to the highly anticipated Shrek sequel, Shrek the Third, as Artie, the young King Arthur, opposite gal-pal Cameron Diaz's Princess Fiona. Finally, he's attached to star in a new untitled project by Boys Don't Cry helmer Kimberly Pierce, about a soldier who comes home from Iraq and refuses government orders to return to battle.

So I just heard the single. It sounds like something that would play at an Amsterdam sex club. It basically sounds like the near tuneless sequel to Nelly Furtado's "Promiscuous". Not a completely awful song or anything, but why is Timbaland constantly taking people with decent voices and turning them into wannabe rapper posers? For those curious, it's now on his MySpace.

Guest Ringo Hates Divers

So I just heard the single. It sounds like something that would play at an Amsterdam sex club. It basically sounds like the near tuneless sequel to Nelly Furtado's "Promiscuous". Not a completely awful song or anything, but why is Timbaland constantly taking people with decent voices and turning them into wannabe rapper posers? For those curious, it's now on his MySpace.

Does anyone else think the album title sounds like a ripoff of Outkast's "Speakerboxxx/TheLoveBelow"?

I don't see it, especially seeing that the way the Outkast album was spelled was Speakerboxxx/The Love Below. It is a weak name, but the only coincedence I see is the word "love" and a slash.