NFL 06/07 Talk

Guest Mighty Mighty Bosstown

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More on the subject....

SAN DIEGO (Feb. 12, 2007) -- Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer was late Feb. 12 in a shocking move by team president Dean Spanos, who cited a "dysfunctional situation" between the coach and general manager A.J. Smith.

Less than a month after San Diego's NFL-best 14-2 season was wrecked in a home playoff loss to New England, Spanos cited the exodus of both coordinators and other assistants in firing Schottenheimer. The coach had a year left on his contract.

"When I decided to move ahead with Marty Schottenheimer in mid-January, I did so with the expectation that the core of his fine coaching staff would remain intact," Spanos said in a statement. "Unfortunately, that did not prove to be the case, and the process of dealing with these coaching changes convinced me that we simply could not move forward with such dysfunction between our head coach and general manager.

"In short, this entire process over the last month convinced me beyond any doubt that I had to act to change this untenable situation."

Schottenheimer didn't immediately return messages left on his office and cell phones.

Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips was hired as head coach of the Dallas Cowboys on Feb. 8, following offensive coordinator Cam Cameron and two other assistants out of town for better jobs.

Although Schottenheimer said last week that change was inevitable, Smith sounded concerned, saying, "Both in the same year -- Wow."

Tight ends coach Rob Chudzinski became Cleveland's offensive coordinator, and linebackers coach Greg Manusky was hired as San Francisco's defensive coordinator.

Running backs coach Clarence Shelmon, who's never been a coordinator, was promoted to replace Cameron. Shelmon accepted only a one-year contract due to what had been Schottenheimer's lame-duck status.

Three days after the 24-21 playoff loss to New England, Schottenheimer declined the team's offer of a one-year extension through 2008. Spanos and Smith seemed visibly angry that the coach turned them down.

Schottenheimer has been at odds with Smith since the 2005 season, apparently over personnel decisions by the GM.

With a regular-season record of 200-126-1 with Cleveland, Kansas City, Washington and San Diego, Schottenheimer is the most successful coach never to have reached the Super Bowl.

His 5-13 playoff record has taken on a life of its own. The loss to the Patriots was his sixth straight in the postseason dating to 1993, and the ninth time a Schottenheimer-coached team lost its opening playoff game. His teams have failed four times to capitalize on the home-field advantage that comes with owning the AFC's No. 1 seed.

He was 47-33 in five seasons with the Chargers, including 35 wins and two AFC West titles in the last three seasons.

Led by league MVP LaDainian Tomlinson, the Chargers were thought by many to be Super Bowl-caliber. But they had four turnovers and made numerous other mistakes in losing to the Patriots, their first defeat at home in the 2006 season.

Speculation grew following the loss that Schottenheimer might be fired, due in part to the front office's expectations of a deep playoff run and his icy relationship with Smith.

Rumor is they're going after Ron Rivera. I don't see why not, considering he was rumored to be one of the candidates for the Cowboys job (but only after Jones said they wouldn't make a decision until after the Super Bowl).

Frankly, I like the Chargers, but I hope this backfires on them and Smith gets fired at the end of the next season, but that probably won't happen.

Frankly, I like the Chargers, but I hope this backfires on them and Smith gets fired at the end of the next season, but that probably won't happen.

actually, there are some people saying that it might even be as soon as after the NFL draft, it's a longshot, but it seems like a possibility.

Who are these people saying that? That's ridiculous. AJ Smith is known as having a great sense of talent and he's always willing to make the right move. The firing of Marty shows who has the power in San Diego. Only way AJ's going anywhere is if he gets a better offer, which would probably include a VP of player personnel title.

Who are these people saying that? That's ridiculous. AJ Smith is known as having a great sense of talent and he's always willing to make the right move. The firing of Marty shows who has the power in San Diego. Only way AJ's going anywhere is if he gets a better offer, which would probably include a VP of player personnel title.

It was one of the NFL Total Access guys, I'm not sure but I think it was Adam Schefter that said it was possible, which doesn't neccesarily mean that it will. He was also the guy who reported that the Raiders were going to fire Art Shell 2 weeks before the season ended, so he's a pretty credible source. The show is going to be replayed tomorrow so I'ma see who said it and post it here.

If I were with the Chargers I'd look into bringing in a few good assistants who can help Rivers become a great QB. They likely will, it just seems so logical. My worry for them is that they'll get a bad head coach. Like Norv Turner is being thrown around apparently. And while he'll be GREAT as Rivers' coordinator and mentor, he's already doing that in San Fran. I read that Rex Ryan is being considered. Please I hope not, two former defensive coordinators coaching in the NFL is already enough.

If I were with the Chargers I'd look into bringing in a few good assistants who can help Rivers become a great QB. They likely will, it just seems so logical. My worry for them is that they'll get a bad head coach. Like Norv Turner is being thrown around apparently. And while he'll be GREAT as Rivers' coordinator and mentor, he's already doing that in San Fran. I read that Rex Ryan is being considered. Please I hope not, two former defensive coordinators coaching in the NFL is already enough.

The offense wasn't THAT bad this year, it's just more a matter of execution against the Colts is why they lost. They forced TO's and they had opportunities and came up with FG's. That could be considered an offensive problem, but I feel that the offense was good enough during the season, then the whole team just ended up not executing to their full potential in the game.

The biggest problem I have with the Ravens this offseason is that they could lose a couple of key guys in Jonathan Ogden (contemplating retirement) and Adalius Thomas (Free Agent). I also think that drafting a RB at some point on day one would help the team, if only for someone to carry some of the load while Lewis rests or something along those lines.

The defense was great and the offense wasn't the best, but their offense wasn't exactly horrible this season.

That being said, I hope that Adalius Thomas either re-signs or signs with the 49ers and reunites with Singletary and Nolan (assuming Singletary stays on and isn't the head coach of the Chargers).

I doubt they will. Briggs fits the defense a whole hell of a lot better than Thomas, who's more suited for a 3-4 scheme than a 4-3 where he wouldn't have a chance to show off all of his skills. That being said, I think it's a crapshoot for Thomas between San Francisco, Baltimore and New England. I see Briggs staying, but I could be wrong, especially if someone's willing to pay top dollar for him.