NFL 06/07 Talk

Guest Mighty Mighty Bosstown

The Patriots have won all three of their superbowls by only 3. That's it. When you can take out one player from that team, K Adam Vinatieri, and they lose...they're not the best team in the league.

During those 3 years they were, had they not been they wouldn't have held the trophy. The best TEAMS win championships. Championships are the measuring stick.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow so Steve Young is better than Dan Marino, Ben Roethlisberger is better than Manning, and I guess Trent Dilfer is better than a load of QBs cause he's got a ring too.

Its the rest of the team that matters. Peyton is the best QB in the leauge and has been for the past few years. Much like Dan Marino, he doesn't have a complete enough team to back him up. Vanderjagt is to blame for them not being in the Superbowl last year, much like Vinatieri is the reason the Pats won 3 Superbowls.

Don't say that if Peyton is so good, he should be able to get the job done himself, because Brady's never single handedly won a Superbowl by himself.

That being said, the Colts ship has really sailed and Brady is more likely to win another Superbowl than Manning is, but neither team will be winning on this year.

Edit:

And ok, I'll even say Brady was a better fantasy QB last year based on passing yards. Look at their respective rosters and tell me who has a better chance of leading the leauge in pass yards this year?

Manning with Harrison/Wayne/Stokley/Clark

Or Brady with Branch/Watson?

Edited by Maxx

In my opinion Brady is the better QB, but stat wise and still close is Peyton. I think Brady has the intangibles that make him great. However, I was simply replying to the guy who said the Pats weren't the best, but still had three rings :shifty: I presume you were directing comments toward Livid anyhow...

Another reason I prefer Brady over Manning. He doesn't have the same type arm, offense, recievers, Dome, etc. Yet still put up good numbers. Would Peyton do the same in New England? In December? We don't know, perhaps, but Brady has made it all click and gotten them 3 championships.

Wow so Steve Young is better than Dan Marino, Ben Roethlisberger is better than Manning, and I guess Trent Dilfer is better than a load of QBs cause he's got a ring too.

Its the rest of the team that matters. Peyton is the best QB in the leauge and has been for the past few years. Much like Dan Marino, he doesn't have a complete enough team to back him up. Vanderjagt is to blame for them not being in the Superbowl last year, much like Vinatieri is the reason the Pats won 3 Superbowls.

If having a Superbowl ring is what makes you better then Trent Dilfer is better than the likes of Peyton Manning. If Championships are the measuring stick, Trent DIlfer is higher on my fantasy board than Peyton

Ok if Vandy made that field goal, there's no way the Steelers would have come back. If I remember correctly it was as time expires.

We're not debating who the better QB is, I was asking who the better Fantasy QB is, and everyone says statistically its Manning, which logically would mean Manning is a better fantasy QB

Ok if Vandy made that field goal, there's no way the Steelers would have come back. If I remember correctly it was as time expires.

We're not debating who the better QB is, I was asking who the better Fantasy QB is, and everyone says statistically its Manning, which logically would mean Manning is a better fantasy QB

If he makes the kick the game is tied at 21 and it goes into OT.

Also, there is no question that Manning is the better fantasy QB.

Can anyone tell me how the Packers are shaping up for the season. I haven't been following any of the news at all. They're probably in bad shape because I heard that there were a few no shows.

So any news on the no shows etc would be much appreciated.

I like the Pack this year. McCarthy's system is what Brett is familiar with, it's the same west coast system Holmgren had and the 49ers before that, it's proven effective and Brett's shown he can work with it...he won an MVP in it. The pickup of Charles Woodson gives you a lockdown corner and, now that he's somewhere he wants to be rather than forced to stay in Oakland, I expect him to be back to #2 pick form. AJ Hawk, Nick Barnett, and Ben Taylor are a nice linebacking crew who can pursue the run and play the pass. Might run into an issue with the defensive line, but as a whole, I like what they bring to the table this year.

If he makes the kick the game is tied at 21 and it goes into OT.

Also, there is no question that Manning is the better fantasy QB.

Guest seattlebandfan9

Charles Woodson and Ryan Pickett didn't show up during the OTAs and post draft mini camps, but they are in camp now. Al Harris also never showed demanding a new contract with incentive bonuses added in, and swore he would hold when camp started July 28th. He then changed his mind and showed up. He has sworn though if something is not done his contract this season that he doesn't want to play in Green Bay next year. I love Al Harris, but he shouldn't be talking because if Charles Woodson is to be able to come back and play at a high level, Al Harris becomes expendable, but the match of having them both is certainly in our favor.

Ben Taylor, as someone else mentioned, is an interesting pickup. But the talks up are is that they might experiment a little bit and move Barnett back to the ouside, which is what he played in college, and start Abdul Hodge, our third round pick in the middle, and of course Hawk on the other side. I like the linebackers.

I like our group of tight ends and running backs. We will have see baring Green's injury last year. I'm more excited about Davenport and Gado, however. Wide recievers have never been a problem, because Brett Favre has never really had one. Don't start with Javon Walker, he one outstanding season. I knew he would be good previous seasons, but he isn't the hugest lose we have ever had. Donald Driver continues to be a realiable target and its time for people to step up, and perhaps Rod Gardner can step it back up, and there is always second round pick Greg Jennings.

As a whole the offensive should be better with as somebody said the system McCarthy is installing. Safer passes for Favre. I love Brett Favre but honestly, last season was unbearable painful for me to watch. 29 interceptions. Ouch.

The defense as a whole should be better. People forget the Packers were number one against the pass last year and seventh overall in defense despite being 4 and 12, and some people would argue we have more talent coming in this year with Woodson, Hawk, Hodge, and Manquel. Hawk will make Barnett better. Not to mention we resigned Kampman, who isn't flashy, but he gets things done and has a lot of hussle and stays quiet.

The problem last year came down to get a few things with turnovers on the offense and just completely blowing it on third down. I can't tell you how many times I saw the defense stop them on first and second and then just let the go on third down.

Anyway, I expect the Packers to be much better. I know Packer fans always sound optimistic and say playoffs and super bowl every year, but what else better do we have to do but make wild allegations. In a weak division though, there is no place to go but up.

Guest SixThreeSuperman

I try not to get into many discussions about football, because my intensity overrides my intelligence, and I make some dumb predictions that come back to bite me in the ass. But I do have a few questions.

1) The Colts' ship has sailed, as was mentioned above. Peyton Manning's career is starting to eerily resemble Dan Marino's. I think that in 7-8 years, we'll be able to add another similarity between the two. If they were going to win it, I truly believe it would have happened by now.

2) Why all the love for the Chiefs? I get the LJ and Gonzalez bit, but I just don't get the impression that they have improved enough to challenge the gold standard in the AFC. I still think they will make the playoffs.

3) As a Steelers' fan, I have a hard time seeing them duplicate last year. They will make the playoffs, they will be competitive, but with a rocky off season, it will be interesting to see how they respond. They are used to having pain-free off seasons, and that...um...didn't happen.

And as for the Ravens...they will crash and burn. McNair has trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time without breaking something nowadays, Lewis peaked 2 years ago, and Ray has lost a step. Or five. Plus, they are in a division with three pretty loaded defenses and they have a relatively mediocre offense. I believe they will finish last in the North this season.

Predictions:

AFC Playoff Teams

New England

Miami

Pittsburgh

Cincinnatti

Indianapolis

Kansas City

NFC Playoff Teams

Washington

Dallas

Chicago

Carolina

Tampa Bay

Seattle

AFC Championship

Steelers over Chiefs

NFC Championship

Panthers over 'Skins

Super Bowl 41

Panthers over Steelers

I try not to get into many discussions about football, because my intensity overrides my intelligence, and I make some dumb predictions that come back to bite me in the ass. But I do have a few questions.

1) The Colts' ship has sailed, as was mentioned above. Peyton Manning's career is starting to eerily resemble Dan Marino's. I think that in 7-8 years, we'll be able to add another similarity between the two. If they were going to win it, I truly believe it would have happened by now.

2) Why all the love for the Chiefs? I get the LJ and Gonzalez bit, but I just don't get the impression that they have improved enough to challenge the gold standard in the AFC. I still think they will make the playoffs.

3) As a Steelers' fan, I have a hard time seeing them duplicate last year. They will make the playoffs, they will be competitive, but with a rocky off season, it will be interesting to see how they respond. They are used to having pain-free off seasons, and that...um...didn't happen.

And as for the Ravens...they will crash and burn. McNair has trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time without breaking something nowadays, Lewis peaked 2 years ago, and Ray has lost a step. Or five. Plus, they are in a division with three pretty loaded defenses and they have a relatively mediocre offense. I believe they will finish last in the North this season.

Predictions:

AFC Playoff Teams

New England

Miami

Pittsburgh

Cincinnatti

Indianapolis

Kansas City

NFC Playoff Teams

Washington

Dallas

Chicago

Carolina

Tampa Bay

Seattle

AFC Championship

Steelers over Chiefs

NFC Championship

Panthers over 'Skins

Super Bowl 41

Panthers over Steelers

Guest seattlebandfan9

Predictions:

AFC Playoff Teams

New England

Miami

Pittsburgh

Cincinnatti

Indianapolis

Kansas City

NFC Playoff Teams

Washington

Dallas

Chicago

Carolina

Tampa Bay

Seattle

AFC Championship

Steelers over Chiefs

NFC Championship

Panthers over 'Skins

Super Bowl 41

Panthers over Steelers

So you question whether they're good enough to challenge for the top spot in the AFC, yet predict they'll be in the AFC championship? Makes sense.

As a Chiefs fan, I'm incredibly concerned about the pending loss of Willie Roaf. With Roaf, I believe we have one of the best lines in football, talentwise and unit-wise. Without Roaf, it drops significantly, though the interior's still probably the best around.

LJ will be LJ, I think he's good for 1500 yards, as long as the passing game is working. Again, without Roaf, that means Tony Gonzalez won't be playing downfield as much, which hurts the passing game. Still, Trent Green has put up incredible numbers year in and year out considering he's never had a top reciever. Eddie Kennison is our top wideout, that's pathetic. But Trent makes it work, very under-rated quarterback.

The defense, which was decent last year, improves just by staying together in the front 7. Adding Ty Law to the secondary, which already has Surtain, Sammy Knight, and Greg Wesley, plus Herm Edwards dedication to a defensive presence...gives us a formidable chance at actually reminding people of the early 90's Chiefs teams.

I think most of the pieces are in place and really, it's now or never. Green, Gonzalez, Shields, they're aging and they're key parts. It's time to get it done. The biggest losses we had is Al Saunders leaving as coordinator and Willie Roaf. Big losses, but there's still enough to get us into the playoffs and once you're in the playoffs, anything can happen.