NFL 06/07 Talk

Guest Mighty Mighty Bosstown

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point made, getting a proven WR with either of those number of picks is well worth it. I'm still not sure though if I think Seattle is going to suffer the same fate as previous Super Bowl losers. The team is still very good, but that offensive line does have problems. I don't know if I should think the Lions are going to be better because they took it to Seattle, or if Seattle will slide, or maybe a combination of both.

Edited by VerbalPuke

Hasselbeck still had a decent game with a shaky line, just hampered the running game a lot. Maurice Morris actually had a better yards per rush average than Alexander, which was pretty surprising. I felt when I watched that game yesterday they were the old team where I was constantly heartbroken, even though we won. Still, Branch is a great pickup for us, but a first rounder? Especially if the Hawks have the superbowl loser curse? I don't know, but next week at home should be a good indication of whether or not they will go superbowl or bust.

While a first seems much, Seattle will do anything to get a proven WR with good hands. I don't think they can stand the ball-droppers anymore, so they're trying to get players who can catch in the team - as opposed to going after rookies etc.

Still...a first? Seattle have the ability to be a play off team again, and I think they will, but I don't think they'll run as deep like they did last year.

Why would a 1st round pick being considered too much? Would you rather keep your 1st round pick and gamble it?

You're just as likely to end up with Peter Warrick, RJ Soward, or Sylvester Morris as you are a quality wideout. No position has produced more first round busts. At least you're getting a proven player, who while he probably won't be great, will at least provide an additional threat and be fairly consistent.

Deion Branch will give Seattle a good deep threat. He's a pretty good receiver with great speed that will certainly help pickup their offense. However, even if they have a pick in the late 20s this year, a first rounder still seems a bit much for him. He's a good receiver, but he's not an elite receiver. That said, a deep threat will help spread the defense which should in turn help Alexander in running the ball. Theoretically anyways.

As far as whether the hit on Green was dirty or not, there's no question that it was a dirty hit. I don't think it was done with the intent of injuring him, some players just tend to get carried away, especially in the early part of the season.

A QB slides for the purpose of protecting himself from hits. You cannot hit a QB helmet to helmet at all, let alone helmet to helmet while he's sliding down to protect himself. The fact that the refs didn't call it doesn't change the fact that it was illegal. The defender just got away with it.

If anybody suggests that a first rounder for Branch is too much should really look into it more. Deion Branch is a proven reciever with excellent hands and great route running and can read coverages well (once he grasps the system). If Branch has even a semi-good year, it'll be worth the pick because Seattle recievers always have trouble with either drops or staying healthy, and lately, both. Branch, in time, will become Hasselbeck's go-to guy, especially if Jackson continues to have knee problems.

They would've spent the pick on something that wouldn't nearly produce the same results as Branch, especially since the pick is going to be 25+.

But I also think that the trade is good for the Pats, because they like to draft and do it well. They drafted a good WR in Chad Jackson (who I think is the best to come out of this past year's draft class) and they've still got very solid TE's and a pretty good reciever in Troy Brown. There's no question, though, that losing Branch doesn't help matters.

And the line problems for Seattle aren't THAT drastic. Sure Womack's not Hutchinson, but it's hard to find an all-pro to replace an all-pro.

I agree with the replacing him, hopefully over the weeks Womack will prove me wrong. As for the wide receiver if he has sure hands then I see him working like Jurevicius did. Seattle still has great catchers as Jackson, Engram, and Hackett usually catch every ball that hit them, rather than dropping them. Hopefully Branch can spread out the defense enough to allow Alexander to run. Either way, next week against the Cardinals should be a test to see if they are better than they were last year or worse.

Speaking of Jurevicius there Ekin, word out of espn.com is that he's out for 4-6 weeks. A bummer for the Browns, it seems that they just can't catch a break. Two years ago it was Winslow, last year it was Winslow and Edwards, now it's Bentley and Jurevicius. The Browns seem to have some awful luck, and are a team I'd like to see change their fortunes.

While not out for the season, Jurevicius is going to be missed during his abscence where he could have helped to turn the Browns offense into a well oiled machine.

Speaking of Jurevicius there Ekin, word out of espn.com is that he's out for 4-6 weeks. A bummer for the Browns, it seems that they just can't catch a break. Two years ago it was Winslow, last year it was Winslow and Edwards, now it's Bentley and Jurevicius. The Browns seem to have some awful luck, and are a team I'd like to see change their fortunes.

While not out for the season, Jurevicius is going to be missed during his abscence where he could have helped to turn the Browns offense into a well oiled machine.