Favorite new millenium filmmakers?

ROC

Basically, who are your favorite filmmakers from the past seven years? I'll go with these picks...

Richard Linklater: Yes, Beatnik, I know I'm stealing yours...but name any other filmmaker that can dance from a project like Waking Life, to a commercial success like School of Rock, to a great love story like Before Sunset all the while holding his integrity and making all of those films good in the process. I know, it's hard to do.

Darren Aronofsky: I know this is debatable, since he's made a whole ONE film in seven years, but I think that his work on Requiem for a Dream makes it easily worth mentioning him as a great filmmaker.

Roger Avary: I know I'm in the small small crowd who fucking loved The Rules of Attraction, but it took the drug style of Requiem and made a hilariously disturbing satire out of it. He just did it up great.

Danny Boyle: While arguably his best films were made in the 90s (Shallow Grave, Trainspotting), Boyle managed to stay intent on solid movies. Sure, The Beach was his first in the 2000s, but let's not forget that 28 Days Later and Millions followed that.

Now, I KNOW there's gotta be some decent opinions from the film fans on this.

Without really doing research, the only person off the top of my head I could think of was Guillermo del Toro.

His movies thusfar aren't strong or anything, but he has a genuine enthusiasm for what he does and he's a nerd. I can only assume he'll get more and more headstrong about his work and water it down less and less for mainstream audiences.

He has the potential to do something the size of what Peter Jackson has done.

Without really doing research, the only person off the top of my head I could think of was Guillermo del Toro.

His movies thusfar aren't strong or anything, but he has a genuine enthusiasm for what he does and he's a nerd. I can only assume he'll get more and more headstrong about his work and water it down less and less for mainstream audiences.

He has the potential to do something the size of what Peter Jackson has done.

Yeah, del Toro has an interesting style. I enjoyed his the Devil's Backbone quite a bit, and he definitely strikes me as someone who just needs that perfect project like Lord of the Rings before he becomes the most wanted director in Hollywood.

Definitely have to agree on Zombie as well despite only making two films. Though I enjoyed House, the jump in quality from that to Devil's Rejects was just awe-inspiring. Bring on Halloween.

Bryan Singer's been awesome since before the millenium, but in the past few years he's become one of the best in the mainstream.. X-Men, X2 and Superman Returns are among the best comic book movies yet.

Richard Linklater is in the same boat. Since the millenium he's made the awesome "Waking Life" and the sequel "Before Sunset", as well as the mainstream films "School Of Rock" and "Bad News Bears", both of which I enjoyed.

Michel Gondry didn't do full length until the new millenium, so he's a given. Ditto (more or less) for Christopher Nolan, who hit with 2000's "Memento".

On the verge, depending on how their follow ups go: Zach Braff, Paul Haggis, Joss Whedon, Judd Apatow, Adam McKay, Todd Phillips, Gurinder Chadha, Sofia Coppola.

Guest Ringo Hates Divers

Aside from those already mentioned, I'll throw in Jean-Pierre Jeunet. He'd already established himself with Delicatessen in the 90s, but he made two unbelievably good movies this millenium.

I'd also lop in Wes Anderson in there.

Guest Bosstown Boy

Jerry Bruckheimer.

Gone in Sixty Seconds, Remember the Titans, Pearl Harbor, Black Hawk Down, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Bad Boys II, National Treasure, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest.

He also produces CSI, Cold Case, Without a Trace, and The Amazing Race on TV.

Coming up for him are the new Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, National Treasure 2, and the Prince of Persia movie.

Someone mentioned Bad Santa in the films thread, which reminded me that Terry Zwigoff definitely deserves mention here. Two cult classics followed up by a movie I haven't seen but one that looks really good. I guess he goes in the "on the verge" category.