Champions League

pigeon

I throught Newcastle would have pumpled Southampton espcially with what was up for grabs, oh well fair play to Liverpool should make for good champions league football next season

Well, we'll need quite a bit of strengthening if we're going to make any sort of impact in the CL, but hopefully the money coming into the club can be spent wisely. Cisse should be arriving, and that's a good start, but we'll need more than him.

LOL the thourght of Aston Villia in Europe just dosen't seem right

:rolleyes:

Do you know anything? Read some football history books, then come back.

I could see us grabbing 5th, deservidly, too.

Liverpool should beat Newcastle, or get a draw. And United will either lose, or get a draw when they come here.

QUOTE(Cortez @ May 12 2004, 09:30 PM)

LOL the thourght of Aston Villia in Europe just dosen't seem right

Do you know anything? Read some football history books, then come back.

I know nothing about the histroy of Aston Villa or any team for that matter lol, but i meant currently i couldn't imagine Villa in Europe.

How far do you think Villa will go in Europe?

I think Villa could go quite far in the UEFA Cup. They have some good young players and the additional money that would come in would give O'Leary a nice little transfer kitty for the summer.

And that man can do wonders in the transfer market with little money.

Unlike Houllier who will probably rule Liverpool out of the Champions League before they even kick a ball next season with some trademark TERRIBLE signings. I hope for the fans of Liverpool that he actually buys someone good for a change.

Dont count Newcastle out yet though. Southampton away is our ultimate bogey game, I had absolutely no confidence in a win tonight. But Liverpool at the weekend is going to be a very big game still. Its tight, but it could still go either way.

Plus I think we could go a lot further in Europe than Villa. By then the key players were missing should be fit (bear in mind tonight we were playing our 3rd and 4th choice centre backs) and hoping to cement a place in the squad.

I know nothing about the histroy of Aston Villa or any team for that matter lol, but i meant currently i couldn't imagine Villa in Europe. 

How far do you think Villa will go in Europe?

You haven't read that book yet, so, shoo.

I could highly imagine Villa going far in Europe. We have a good team, with some good signings coming in.

Plus I think we could go a lot further in Europe than Villa. By then the key players were missing should be fit (bear in mind tonight we were playing our 3rd and 4th choice centre backs) and hoping to cement a place in the squad.

In competitions like Europe, it can all go down to being lucky. Newcastle have a squad much more suited for European competition, and it's something Newcastle should be doing. This season, getting a spot in Europe for us is just a bonus, remember, we're trying to avoid relegation this season. ; )

Edited by Summers

IMO, if Villa make it to Europe, they either won't go far in the UEFA Cup, or they won't be in the top half of the Premiership table.

Villa is a good team and O'leary is a good manager, but they have too small a squad to be fighting in Europe, the Premiership, and the FA Cup. The only thing Aston Villa lacks is squad depth, IMHO.

My new 'Pool top arrived today, with 17 Gerrard on the back. My flatmate is in for some stick tonight. :D

Another thought, we were linked with Mexes on the condition we got 4th spot, so hopefully we will get him now. We desperately need a pacey centre half.

Come on Villa. If it means United losing on the last day for Villa to get to Europe, then fine. It's not like we have anything to play for anyway :(

:wub::wub:

Villa is a good team and O'leary is a good manager, but they have too small a squad to be fighting in Europe, the Premiership, and the FA Cup. The only thing Aston Villa lacks is squad depth, IMHO.

Which is why we're after 4 more players. :\ We definately lack some depth.

Which is why we're after 4 more players. :\ We definately lack some depth.

Ellis is willing to part with his cash?! :P

Anyways, if you guys do get 4 more players for various positions, and keep the current squad intact, you guys could be a major challenger for domestic and European honours.

O'Leary has more money than we're letting on. Langham admitted it.

We're paying 3mil (about) for van Bommel. We're after Robert Huth on a 12 month loan, and I haven't heard much else, but O'Leary wants 4 players.

Mellberg signed a new 4 year contract today, Hitzlesperger, Angel, Barry and De La Cruz are all discussing new contracts.

EDIT: I almost forgot, Tal Ben Haim - an Israeli internation defender - is currently over here training with the squad, aiming to get a contract.

Edited by Summers

He shouldn't be England captain for carrying Liverpool. The England captain should be picked based on England performances, which is why I think Beckham deserves the armband.

you have to remember he is still delivering dangerous, potentially career-ending tackles. As long as he has that type of tackle in his mindset, he shouldn't be anywhere near an armband of any kind.