Suggest me new wave/no wave/post punk

VerbalPuke

Yeah, the Chumbawamba comparison is a bit on a limb, but something in some of the beats of the songs of Ima Robot reminded me of Chumbawamba. Chumbawamba was a fantastic group before going mainstream, and very political anarchists. I believe in their early days they were also squatters in England.

Chumbawamba's earlier music is sort of like Crass, excpet with a much cleaner sound and absolutely better vocalists.

Another good Chumbawamba album is Nevermind the Ballots, which is an obvious spinoff of the Sex Pistols album titled Nevermind the Bollocks (here's the Sex Pistols).

I don't want to sound like a fag or nothing, but Depeche Mode kicks ass. :P

Seriously, I always wrote them off as some silly 80s group not worth bothering about. Here I am enjoying them quite a bit now. Hell, I even managed to stick away from that Personal Jesus song. I don't like the idea of listening to a bands hit before their other stuff. I think if you can enjoy the non-hits than you have yourself a winner.

I'm a big Depeche Mode fan, and I think that (although I enjoy it) people get sucked into thinking all their stuff is a lot like their early 80's stuff (kinda faggy electo-y stuff >_>), but from the mid80's onwards, their stuff just gets uber awesome, dark, introspective...just really good.

That's what drugs do for you >_>

I dunno what songs you checked out, but look into: Nothing, Blasphemous Rumours, Everything Counts, Little 15, Walking In My Shoes and World In My Eyes (which The Cure do an awesome cover of as well)....many other songs to check out, just a few for you.

Ergh. I TRIED SO HARD to get into Depeche Mode, but there's nothing I like about them. All I can say is that their songs are awesome, but I don't like the delivery. I'd love to see a Covers Album of all their songs, because I think I could really be into other people preforming their songs.

Check out the For The Masses compilation then.

1 Never Let Me Down Again Smashing Pumpkins (4:01)

2 Fly on the Windscreen God Lives Underwater (5:22)

3 Enjoy the Silence Failure [1] (4:20)

4 World in My Eyes Cure (4:51)

5 Policy of Truth Dishwalla (3:45)

6 Somebody Veruca Salt (4:05)

7 Everything Counts Meat Beat Manifesto (5:24)

8 Shake the Disease Hooverphonic (3:59)

9 Master and Servant Locust [3] (3:40)

10 Shame Self [1] (4:12)

11 Black Celebration Monster Magnet (4:16)

12 Waiting for the Night Rabbit In The Moon (7:34)

13 I Feel You Apollo Four Forty (5:21)

14 Monument Gus Gus [1] (5:21)

15 To Have and to Hold Deftones (2:53)

16 Stripped Rammstein (4:44)

I've heard 6 of these covers. Never Let Me Down Again is alright, World In My Eyes is excellent, Dishwalla's Policy Of Truth is good, I like Failure's Enjoy The Silence, Somebody by Veruca Salt is a bit naff (but I love the original, may be a bit biased) and Stripped is awesome.

Edited by liamwannabe

Guest Chasing Ringy

Apart from Depeche Mode, I'd recommend for you to check out the Pet Shop Boys. If it's stuff that sounds like Gary Numan you're looking for, then you can't really go wrong with them.

Actually Liam, my saying "I don't want to sound like a fag or nothing" is a quote from the movie Orgasmo. This dude in it starts off a lot of sentences with "I don't want to sound like a fag or nothing" and in one line says "I don't want to sound like a fag or nothing, but Depeche Mode kicks ass". I was hoping somebody would pick up on that.

The Depeche Mode stuff I heard is from Playing the Angel. But yeah, I'll look into the stuff you suggested, and the stuff suggest by the Ringy and Shamp.

Actually Liam, my saying "I don't want to sound like a fag or nothing" is a quote from the movie Orgasmo. This dude in it starts off a lot of sentences with "I don't want to sound like a fag or nothing" and in one line says "I don't want to sound like a fag or nothing, but Depeche Mode kicks ass". I was hoping somebody would pick up on that.

I've seen that film, and totally missed the reference.

But I also have to say that a lot of people who hear stuff like "Just Can't Get Enough" do think they are a little gay :P