Suggest me new wave/no wave/post punk

VerbalPuke

Ok so I've recently obtained the Gary Numan album "the Pleasure Principle" and I absolutely adore it. I'm really digging it every minute of it which is strange for me, I've typically abhorred stuff in this style. I've always enjoyed the song "Cars", but this whole album is absolutely brilliant.

Now then, who can suggest to me good groups/artists in a similar vein to this? Just so I can get this out of the way, I've heard and enjoyed Bush Tetras, Public Image Limited, Killing Joke, The Stranglers, Duran Duran, and UK Decay. On the other hand I'd like to avoid stuff like the Human League, Culture Club, and Soft Cell.

Anyway, the second portion is just to discuss your favorite artists in these particular genre's. Has anybody really stood out for you? Does anybody else really enjoy Gary Numan like I have been recently? Do you like to do your hair like the guy in Flock of Seagulls?

Devo and Blondie are good choices, I have listened to both and am a fan, but I've not gotten into them exstensively. Uncontrollable Urge is a great song.

New Order sounds like a plan as well, heard one of their songs on the Trainspotting soundtrack and liked it.

As for Depeche Mode I'm actually not a fan, not because I dislike them, but because I've never checked them out, Now is as good as any time I'd imagine.

Thanks for the suggestions gentleman. (Y)

Ima Robot? Sounds interesting, I'll look for them as well. Sounds good to me.

I do have some Elvis Costello actually, I have My Aim is True. That's a great album, and Elvis is great in general. I've heard only bits and pieces of This Year's Model, specifically Lipstick Vogue, that song has some of my favorite drum work in it.

I don't want to sound like a fag or nothing, but Depeche Mode kicks ass. :P

Seriously, I always wrote them off as some silly 80s group not worth bothering about. Here I am enjoying them quite a bit now. Hell, I even managed to stick away from that Personal Jesus song. I don't like the idea of listening to a bands hit before their other stuff. I think if you can enjoy the non-hits than you have yourself a winner.

By the way mason, Gang of Four rocks. Entertainment is a great album, very unique stuff to be found on that album. And by the way, where have you been? If I remember correct you were a big Primus fan and had a pretty good view of music in general.

Edit - Oh yeah, and if any of you care there is a great post punk compilation floating around called "Rough Tradeshops" which I believe is a two volume deal. The copy I have has groups like UK Decay, Public Image Limited, Gang of Four, Wire, Au Pairs, and Delta 5. I probably could have used this as a helpful reference if I hadn't forgotten about it.

Edited by VerbalPuke

Ergh. I TRIED SO HARD to get into Depeche Mode, but there's nothing I like about them. All I can say is that their songs are awesome, but I don't like the delivery. I'd love to see a Covers Album of all their songs, because I think I could really be into other people preforming their songs.

Ha it's nice to know that someone remembers me VerbalPuke. As for where I've been, I still lurk around from time to time and my musical tastes are constantly changing. I'm really into the popular drone stuff right now such as Boris and Sunn0)) and I just went through a real intense Nancy Sinatra/Lee Hazlewood phase but anywho, yeah the rough trade compilations are often a great place to start with new music. I got the post punk one to start off and I recently picked up the country set on a whim and have ended up getting into alot of the artists on it. I've been snagging everything by Giant Sand, X, Golden Smog and Songs: Ohia after a few listens.

Shit, I remember anybody that has a taste in music even remotely comparable to mine. You ought to stay awhile this time around. :P

X is a great band by the way, extremely brilliant LA punk band. Some of their stuff has a definite hint of rockabilly in it. One thing to consider with them is that Billy Zoom was a bit older than the rest of the crew and had played with some well known blues guitarists before joining the band.

And quickly to EndofAnEra, I checked out that Ima Robot group. I liked it a lot. It reminded me of Mindless Self Indulgence, early Chumbawamba, and Atom and His Package. If you tossed those three groups into a blender than Ima Robot would be the result.

Yeah they definately have a unique sound. I dunno about the Chumbawumba comparison, but whatever. I saw them live at Warped a few years back, got hooked, and got my hands on anything and everything I could find by them. Saw them live again this year and they've easily become my favorite band.

I can hear a bit of Chumbawumba in Ima Robot, I can see where VerbalPuke is coming from. Lest we not forget, Chumbawumba were once a fantastic (and pretty innovative) band.

That song's shite and, unfortunately, about the only Chumbawumba it's possible to track down easily. The stuff before that is much much better, especially "Pictures Of Starving Children Sell Records", which remains one of my favourite albums of all time.