2006/2007 Hockey Season Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Grapehead

I don't get it...

It was bitterness from 2 years ago when they didn't count the possible Gelinas goal. Hell they didn't even stop to review it. A lot of us were pretty pissed off at it back then.

If the puck went off of Gelina's skate like I think it did, then this should make you feel better.

Nik Antropov scored a goal with the puck hitting his skate as he was stopping, in a manner very similiar to the picture above. The goal counted.

Toronto Maple Leafs beat the Hurricanes 4-3, and what a game for the Leafs. Sundin had two goals and looked dominate out their, McCabe got a goal and two assists, and ALEXANDER STEEN! finally got his second goal of the season (and first in over two months) to win the game!

The Rangers are next for Toronto tomorrow night, and I think it will be a close game like this one. Toronto definitly used a short bench, so the Leafs may be tired.

Higgins had 21 last year(also Rookie season) and finished with 38 points. But I'm pretty sure if Pronger was to come to Montreal and Higgins had to be a part of the deal, it's pretty much a no-brainer on that one. Especially considering hindsight being 20/20 where Steen's got 2 goals and 6 assists over 33 games(Higgins is 8G 5A in 13 games) and Pronger leads all defencemen, and most forwards with 6 goals and 28 assists for 34 points.

Why is it that Steen was seen as a future captain? Just because of an 18 goal season, or was there more to it?

Kessel Cancer Free

It appears that Phil Kessel will be alright, after having surgery to remove one of his testicles which had cancer. Great news for Bruins fans and hockey fans in general, as I think Kessel has the talent to become one of the better players in the league.

Toronto just whooped the Rangers 9 to 2. 2 goals and 3 assists for Ponikarovsky, 3 goals and 2 assists for Kyle Wellwood and 3 assists from Mats Sundin, a dominating performance from the top line. Toronto was very physical and had control for the majority of the game. Lunqvist let in two wierd goals early and that seemed to crush his confidence, as he was left in and got shelled for six more.

Hawks are back at .500 again after beating the Blue Jackets. They scored the first four goals and were leading 5-1 after the first. Somehow Columbus manages to get within one and I'm already starting to choose household items to take my anger out on, but luckily the Hawks hold on and take it 6-4.

Bondra still didn't hit #500 (got an assist though). Another 3 point night for Havlat (1+2).

Montreal takes a bad 1st period against Pittsburgh going down 2-1 and turns in an amazing 2nd period going up 5-2. Eveuntually beating Pittsburgh 6-3. Lapierre gets another goal, for a rookie call-up from the AHL he's done good with 3 points in 3 games. Higgins is back in the line-up and Koivu has his 5th multi goal game of the month. Montreal goes 4-7 on the Powerplay and 7-7 on the Penalty Kill. That's incredible. Crosby held to 1 shot and an assist, but Malkin got a goal.

I'm suprised the whole Leafs section of EWB isn't already planning the parade route. But that was a big win for Toronto. They've kept pace with Montreal since they ended their slump. If it had continued Montreal could be up 12 on TO with 2 games at hand, but alas, we stay up only 6 points on la maudite bleu et blanc. But we still have 2 games at hand.

Montreal now has the second best record in the Eastern Conference, 5th in the NHL. 7 behind Buffalo, 1 ahead of Southeast division leaders Atlanta and 3 ahead of Atlantic division leaders New York Rangers.

After last night's game, Montreal's got the top powerplay and 2nd best penalty kill in the league. Too bad our 5 on 5 scoring sucks more than a yuletide whore on X-mas day.

I got my post in regarding the thrashing of the Rangers. It's a great win, but still only one win in an 82 game season. I am really pleased that Toronto has rebounded from that embarrasing series of losses and now has a little three game streak leading into games against Florida, Chicago and Washington.

The Blackhawks are red hot. 7-1-3 under Denis Savard. Now only two points from 8th in West with a game in hand. Wednesday they play Nashville who they have owned all season. Without serious injuries, the Hawks really have a shot at making the post season.

It's not just Havlat either. Khabibulin is playing like it was 2004 again. And the defense has some real depth - 7 defensemen travel with the team at the moment and Savard sat out SEABROOK in the last game! Another young stud (3rd overall 2004) Cam Barker should be ready for the NHL, too. That's 8 guys. It would make sense to move one or two of them since there certainly isn't enough room for 'em all in the future (master)plan. Richmond and Byfuglien are also good young guys in Norfolk and have played with the Hawks already this season.

Kukkonen and Seabrook have been the best defensemen this season. Those two together with Duncan Keith, Jim Vandermeer, Cam Barker, James Wisniewski, Danny Richmond and Dennis Byfuglien might challenge for the best young defensive corp in the league. Aucoin and Cullimore are the only veterans, who too often get outplayed by all the youngsters.

Vandermeer might be the one getting traded - he is somewhat established around the league, has trade value and hasn't played bad, but hasn't really been great either. Especially by not being physical enough. With Reed Low in Norfolk, Vandy should be more active in protecting the star players.

I wouldn't even mind trading captain Aucoin if it meant we got a solid top two line centerman.

No-one will take Cullimore, but obviously he is still on the trade block.

So I suppose the certainty of missing the playoffs last year was something that you really got depressed over. I don't blame you. If my team was down for a 7 game losing streak every season, I'd be upset too.

If Montreal wins and Toronto loses tonight, that's 8 points up on them for Montreal.

Now, see, I like Steen as much as anyone but I feel that was a stupid move. He didn't really light up the team last year, and I firmly believe that with a triple combo of McCabe, Kaberle and Pronger, we'd be a real force to be reckoned with. We could conceivably be in the position the Ducks are in now.