2006/2007 Hockey Season Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Montreal bounces back from losing 2 in a row for the first time and gets the 4-2 win in Long Island. Taking 3 out of a possible 4 points from the 2 game trip. Strengthing their lead over Toronto and Ottawa to 5 points. Koivu has 3 points and 7 in his last 4 games. Leading the Habs with 27 points in 28 games. Montreal played possibly their best 2 games of the season in Jersey and New York. Even if we lost in Jersey, we played 2 60 minute games, which is quite rare for the Habs.

I think the Sens have a good shot at catching the Canadiens in the division standings. Unless Sundin gets injured again Toronto looks boned. But I have to admit that the Sens have all the momentum in the world. They were what 5-11 at one point and now their 15-13. That's a Buffalo-esque winning streak.

Speaking of, Montreal plays Buffalo tomorrow night. December is a killer schedule for the Habs, during the week we only have 1 day of rest at most. Last night was the end of back to back games.

Anyone else see Niinimaa who's been a healthy scratch for 8 of 9 games before 2 nights ago get drilled by the puck in the face. Get busted wide open, bleeding all over the ice, and return to the game. Now that's just dedication to hockey.

Do the Habs have what it takes to beat Buffalo? I think they do, but I'm going to give tomorrow night to the Sabres and call for either Vanek or Briere to have a multi-goal night.

I think tonight is the night Toronto ends this fucking streak.

Toronto visits Detroit, and I think Detroit plays a more open game that really suits the style of play Paul Maurice wants from the team. It's just a matter of motivation.

Didn't this happen to Toronto last year, just much later in the year. I know that that's how Montreal basically stole their way to 7th place, because Toronto had a 5 or 6 point lead on Montreal, then lost 7 in a row and they lost their playoff hopes. I really hope Toronto makes it to the playoffs, if only for the chance to see a Montreal-Toronto conference finals which goes to 7 games, and Koivu scores the OT winner in Montreal and the crowd erupts as though we just won the Stanley Cup...

a man can dream...

Didn't this happen to Toronto last year, just much later in the year. I know that that's how Montreal basically stole their way to 7th place, because Toronto had a 5 or 6 point lead on Montreal, then lost 7 in a row and they lost their playoff hopes. I really hope Toronto makes it to the playoffs, if only for the chance to see a Montreal-Toronto conference finals which goes to 7 games, and Koivu scores the OT winner in Montreal and the crowd erupts as though we just won the Stanley Cup...

a man can dream...

Montreal loses 3-2 in Shootout. Credit to where credit is due, the second goal in the Shootout, I don't know who shot the puck, but he slapped that thing so hard Huet didn't even react. Good, evenly contested game. I made 25 bucks on the game predicting a 3-2 score in shootout.

Toronto loses 5-1. 7 in a row. They'll break it next game. Nobody can lose 8 in a row.

Guest Grapehead

Montreal loses 3-2 in Shootout. Credit to where credit is due, the second goal in the Shootout, I don't know who shot the puck, but he slapped that thing so hard Huet didn't even react. Good, evenly contested game. I made 25 bucks on the game predicting a 3-2 score in shootout.

Toronto loses 5-1. 7 in a row. They'll break it next game. Nobody can lose 8 in a row.

Havlat returned last night. He immediately scored 2 goals and assisted a third, but Boucher played in net, so the Hawks still lost. But, the overtime loss means Savard still has points in every game as head coach (this season) - 3-0-3.

That's sad about Gainey. He lost his wife not long ago, right?

The Hawks beat the Oilcans 4-1. Havlat was first star, 1+1 and scored on an amazing move on a breakaway. Powerplay was 0 for 10 though. Hopefully Bondra can help in that department.

Sucks for Gainey. I hope they find his daughter and she is alright.

I bet the Senators wished they had kept Havlat. He is just a monster as the go to guy in Chicago. And now with Peter Bondra on the team, they may be able to sneak up on some teams. There is plenty of time for a team to turn it on and make a playoff push...

Havlat could well be the best player in the world right now. Seriously, 10 goals and 8 assists in only 9 games played. Only one point behind Smolinski in team scoring and Smoke has played all 28 games. Tremendous speed and overall skating strength, he is powerful and he can finish. Havlat is a smooth passer too, with better linemates his assist numbers could be doubled. He was leading the league in scoring the time he got hurt and has picked up right from where he left off - 3+2 in two games.

Only weakness seems to be just that - he is so good he attracts a lot of attention from opposing players who know how good he is and how he has a history with injuries and gets targeted lots, which then leads to dangerous situations. With Ruutu constantly having injury problems, I don't know why the Hawks won't dress Reed Low to keep dirty players in check. He doesn't even need to leave the bench - just yell "I'll break your fucking neck!" from time to time to keep all the pussy, dirty hitters who think they can be heroes and change the momentum of the game by taking out Havlat or Ruutu, in check. You think Gretzky would have had such a productive and long career without Dave Semenko and Marty McSorley?