Official 2006 College Football Season Thread.

ROC

Tennessee lost to Penn State 20-10. Got to hand it to the officials; they did a fairly good job and there were not a bunch of bad calls. One against the Vols that I thought was particularly bad was when Ainge through a pass that was caught and they said the receiver was out of bounds when he clearly wasn't, then Ainge threw an interception the next play.

I did get into an argument with my father over the play where Foster fumbled and PSU ran it back for a touchdown, though; he kept saying Foster was down when he fumbled, when it clearly showed both his knees were about 2 inches from the ground when he fumbled from just about every angle they replayed it from.

As for BSU, I'm glad they won. But they're still not good enough to deserve a national title shot. As much as I dislike Florida, they do deserve to be in the championship game. (Which I hope they lose, but still.....)

Apparently the rumor about Nick Saban being offered the Alabama HC job is true. I just hope he isn't insane and turns it down.

Once again Michigan BLOWS. The story of Monday was the fact that USC absolutely steamrolled Michigan. That game was onesided the whole way. Even at 19-11 it wasn't close. The Trojans dominated every facit of the game. THAT right there is why I continue to say that Michigan is overrated every stinkin year. They cannot win games THAT MATTER. USC on the other hand, IS a 'big game' team. I still contend that USC should be playing Ohio State for the National Title. Regardless, everyone say on Monday that Michigan is not as awesome as they think. AGAIN.

As for BSU, .... they still don't deserve to be in the game ? After going 13-0 and jumping through every hoop imagninable, they don't deserve it ? Bullshit. This year they should have a TRUE +1. The winner of OSU/UF plays Boise State for the National Title. Now everyone that says 'mid-major' this and 'no comp' that can shut it. BSU BEAT a BCS Conference Champion. They met all the other bullshit stipulations. They should open the season in the Top 5 next year and have a legit chance from day 1 to get in the Championship game. I absolutely love it. They're doing what Lousiville started doing about 6 years ago. Same damned thing. Teams like this DO deserve a chance.

Boise State played one 1-AA team and then played three non-conference opponents with a combined record of 24-15 and two bowl wins. You talk as if they played complete bumfuck nobody teams when the reality is that they played the best that they could schedule. Nobody wants to play Boise State for the precise reasons shown last night.

Also interesting to note that Ohio State's four non-conference opponents were 28-22 for a win percentage of .560. Boise State's three non-conference 1-A opponents only had a win percentage of .615

Edited by Big Red Fury

Nobody wants to play Boise at Boise, because they havent proven they deserve to get a home game against a big team...they need to start scheduling big time games on the road and prove they belong, then they will start to get respect and then have a shot to play for the title...until then, it wont happen.

No, nobody wants to play Boise at Boise because it doesn't matter who goes in their, they get eaten by the blue turf. Now nobody wants to play Boise at all because they've PROVEN that they deserve a chance, and PROVEN that they ARE a good football team, PERIOD.

Besides, you have to be IGNORANT to say they haven't earned anything or don't deserve anything yet. In just TEN YEARS of Division 1-A football they've gone from being a brand new program to winning a BCS bowl. Yeah, they deserve it.

As they grew as a 1-A team, the were fodder for teams like Wash St, Arkansas, Arizona St, UCLA, and South Carolina. Yeah, they deserve it.

Since 2000 they've gone a combined 76 - 13 with 5 bowl wins. Yeah, they deserve it.

Edited by HailtotheKing

I'm all for the Boise St praise, but there is a limit to what they deserve and a National title, at this point isn't it. They deserve the fact that they went undefeated, beat a good Oklahoma team, but in the end, they don't really have any marquee matchups to speak of so you can't crown them just yet. Yes, they had a great season, but when they beat more than just Oklahoma then they can have a chance. I like Boise St a lot, but they don't deserve to be in any talks about the National Championship. Not yet, at least.

With beating Utah/Oregon State out of conference, they have two "quality wins" over non conference schools. They are at minimum, on par with middle of the road BCS Conference schools. Doing what every one else does in determing strength of schedule, who did Utah/OSU beat ?

Utah (8-5) - TCU

OSU (9-4) - Missou, Hawaii, USC, Arizona State

Boise also beat Hawaii (say what you want, but they're good)

Just those two teams alone give them quality. They also beat Hawaii. Yeah, you're going to saw something about Hawaii .... but they did beat an 8 win Purdue team. You then throw in the surprise of SJSU going 9-4 and winning their bowl, and all of a sudden .... you have a decent schedule.

If a "decent" schedule is good enough for a middle tier BCS school (which it is, we've seen it) then it is good enough for Boise State.

The game against OU was supposed to show us that they DIDN'T belong. They were a good upper mid team, but not at the top level. Um, they proved otherwise by beating OU.

Going undefeated when your schedule contains two 11 win, two 9 win, and an 8 win school then you deserve more than just a "hey, nice job."

Why will he need it?

Alabama is a solid program with a lot of returning starters and a good recruiting class coming in (even one kid couldn't join because they already had given out his scholorship, so instead of going elsewhere he is starting in the Winter @ Bama and when the Bowl Game is over he'll get his scholorship then). They did ok this season, and Saban is a good coach.

I'll say they end up with a top 25 ranking and a decent bowl game... and they'll beat FSU in Jacksonville.

The program itself is in shambles. That's why. Screwy shit has been going on there for years.

Mike Price .... Franchione ...... yeah, something isn't right. You want to go ahead and question their characters, that's fine. I'll question the institution that hired them back to back. They are just coming of sanctions, and have the "dirty program" label still hovering around them. Then you had Mike Shula come in and turn things around and still manage a bowl despite injuries that devistated his chances of winning games. So they fire him.

Yeah, good luck Saban.

He's going to have to do a Coker esque turn around. I don't see that happening with the state of Alabama Football at the moment.

Saban's a good coach and the LSU job wasn't that great before he came into it either, so I'm sure he'll be able to turn it around. With a big name coach that's a proven winner, I'm sure recruiting will be a lot easier for the Tide. And Saban will have the opportunity to coach again in the NFL if he turns Alabama around. I doubt he'd take it, as his heart is probably more into college than the pros, so the debate is pointless.

Oh and not to mention that before Pete Carroll took over at USC, the program was in shambles and look what he did. Just because the program's had down years doesn't mean that it's a dead job to be in. If you can recruit well and you're a good coach, two things Saban's proved he can do before, then you have the ability to turn the program around.