Official 2006 College Football Season Thread.

ROC

The comeback was amazing, but the game itself was not. Yes, it was good. But nothing too far beyond that.

Of course, I'm happy for Rutgers and this incredible win for the school, but still... that doesn't make the game itself any larger/better than it was. Magus, just calm down. No one is trying to attack you.

seriously, calm down. Even though some of us (such as Biggz and I) do like teams that are prennial powerhouses (such as FSU - who are stinking this year) that doesn't mean we aren't fans of the game. I LOVE college football, and well I watch damn near everyone .... even Rutgers. Hell, I've watched since Schiano took over, and even made comments a couple of years ago that guys like Hart - Leonard were showing signs that Schaino was getting it done at Rutgers. Looky here, undefeated just 3 years later.

I find it funny that fans of teams such as Rutgers, or any normally not in the spotlight team (or conference) cry out that those of us that follow "big schools" are very tunnel visioned in our views and knowledge of the game. So often it is these people that speak .... and prove it to be just the opposite.

I would have had a brilliant blog post to share with everyone, but last night it magically disappeared when I was about to post it. If I feel like it I'll re-write it tonight and post it. So I'll list some things it contained:

• Early Season Games

• Boise State

• Rutgers, and why the deserve a National Title shot if they win out

• Playoff System

• Plus One System

• Bowl Games

• Mid-Major Argument (See Boise State)

• Plus much more...

Looking forward to it if you rewrite it, Biggz.

But, seriously, Rutgers deserving a title shot if they win out? I REALLY want to hear how you justify that. Whoever loses Michigan\Ohio State (or lost, if its already been played - I've only been up an hour and haven't checked scores yet) probably won't lose anymore games, and a 1 loss Michigan or Ohio State will still be ranked higher than an undefeated Rutgers. The Scarlet Knights need a stronger schedule to justify getting a title shot any time soon.

Its funny that everyone is talking about Boise State and Rutgers, when them going undefeated means jack shit.

On Cold Pizza, they had Woody and Skip predict who they thought would play for the title. Woody picked Ohio State\Florida (which was actually his prediction before the season started, and he's sticking with it) and Skip picked Michigan\Texas. I'll be very surprised if either of those games happens, as I think it could very well be Michigan and Ohio State playing each other again in the title game.

Edited by GhostMachine

Looking forward to it if you rewrite it, Biggz.

But, seriously, Rutgers deserving a title shot if they win out? I REALLY want to hear how you justify that.

Rutgers would have a win over a #3 and WVU would bea top ten as well if they win out, especially with Auburn losing today. They would be the only team in the NCAA with two quality wins of that caliber and UL, WVU, and Rutgers have proven they are no jokes. Comparing RU and BSU is like comparing a Ferrari to a Pinto. It would not happen simply because of the pre-season poll, the pre-season poll put Rutgers in such a deep hole early on that regardless of their wins they couldn't play for the national title. People seem to forget that the Big East is a BCS Conference, and are much stronger than people think. Louisville has a national title caliber offense, but were shut down by Rutgers after the early going, and they have a solid offense that can perform against anyone with Ray Rice. Personally, I want a OSU vs. UM national championship, however if Rutgers would be undefeated they earned their shot and a right at the national championship. Yes they shouldhave a tougher out of conference schedule, but those games are scheduled 2-3 years ago. But with quality wins over Louisville and potentially WVU, they have earned the right in my opinion.

In a related note I have WVU beating Rutgers, but just stating if they do win out, they should get that chance.

Cal has been upset by Arizona, 24-20. Longshore threw an interception that was returned for a touchdown that was the deciding factor. Longshore did not throw well all day. Cal is 8-2 with USC next week. It looks as though the team was looking ahead to next week, and was embarrassed in Tucson. With a win next week, Cal will still win the Pac-10 Conference. I say that because they finish the season against Stanford, and the Cardinal hasn't won all year, and looked terrible every game.

EDIT: Stanford beat Washington 20-3. Doesn't matter though, Cal will still trounce the Cardinal in three weeks.

Edited by mattman1624

Fuck Cal for ripping my heart out, again... oh well, we can still hopefully make the Rose Bowl if we get a win over USC... and just to clarify, Stanford beat the Huskies today, and Stanford always plays pretty tough in the Big Game, but with that said, Cal should beat Stanford easily. But then again, I thought they would destroy Arizona, so.

Edit: Suicide is clearly my only option. Clearly.

Edited by crazedfan