Official 2006 College Football Season Thread.

ROC

Phantom Calls? Please.

And I use the turnover thing too with Bears and Noles, but the fact remains... Michigan created the turnover's. Yes, Ohio State has to avoid them, but Michigan forced them.

Michigan, to me, is the #2 team in the nation regardless of conference. If Florida plays OSU, I'd have to look at the spread prior to betting as OSU will dominate that game, f'n South Carolina should have beat them already :pinch:

Final Bowl Projections Before Announcements (Bold Indicates Accepted the Bid):

GMAC - Southern Miss vs. Ohio

International - W. Michigan vs. Cincinnati

Capital One - Arkansas vs. Wisconsin

Outback - Penn State vs. Tennessee

Cotton - Nebraska vs. Auburn

Gator - Georgia Tech vs. W. Virginia

MPC Computers - Nevada vs. Miami (Fla.)

Chick-fil-A - Virginia Tech vs. Georgia

Meineke Car Care - Boston College vs. Navy

Alamo - Texas vs. Iowa

Liberty - Houston vs. South Carolina

Insight - Minnesota vs. Texas Tech

Sun - Missouri vs. Oregon State

Music City - Kentucky vs. Clemson

Champs Sports - Purdue vs. Maryland

Holiday - California vs. Texas A&M

Texas - Kansas State vs. Rutgers

Independence - Oklahoma State vs. Alabama

Emerald - Florida State vs. UCLA

Motor City - C. Michigan vs. Middle Tenn.

Hawaii - Arizona State vs. Hawaii

Armed Forces - Utah vs. Tulsa

PapaJohns.com - E. Carolina vs. South Florida

New Mexico - New Mexico vs. San Jose St.

New Orleans - Troy vs. Rice

Las Vegas - Oregon vs. BYU

Poinsettia - TCU vs. Northern Illinois

Fiesta Bowl - Oklahoma vs. Boise State

Rose Bowl - USC vs. LSU or USC vs. Michigan (Bolded because if Florida jumps Michigan they go here.)

Orange Bowl - Wake Forest vs. Louisville

Sugar Bowl - Florida vs. Notre Dame or LSU vs. Notre Dame (Bolded because if Florida jumps Michigan they go here.)

BCS National Championship - Ohio State vs. Michigan or Ohio State vs. Florida

ESPN.com Poll - Michigan or Florida, over 150,000 votes so far in about 4 hours.... Michigan leads the fan votes 54-46%

Edited by ACCBiggz

It's a tough call, really tough. I feel like Michigan is the #2 team in the nation, so technically they deserve the title game berth...but by the same token I feel they're the definitive #2 team (i.e. they had a shot to beat Ohio State for the trip to the title game and failed to do so, so they're the weaker of the two and as such there's little doubt that Ohio State would beat them again), and as such I feel like Florida (a team with a tougher schedule, and without a game where it was "You win, you go to the title game no matter what") deserves the spot more.

If Michigan goes, we have no definitive champion yet again.

Florida says "We deserved the spot" should Michigan lose AGAIN. Ohio State says "The series is even at 1-1" should Michigan pull off the upset.

People get too caught up in the "rematch" feel. They play the regular season to determine who the top 2 teams are. If the voters TRUELY feel that Florida is the #2 team, put them #2, vice versa for Michigan. I just find it funny Michigan is above them in every poll, but now that it's time for them to get their shot, we have this discussion simply because they didn't play today. Take the rematch out, the BCS is designed to have the two top teams in the title game regardless of conference or being conference champions. It takes that variable out, for good reason, and it's about finding the nation's top two teams.

Myself, I feel and have felt that Michigan is the #2 team in the nation. In my opinion OSU and UM are the ONLY two complete teams in the NCAA this season. This next game will be on a neutral field away from either The Big House or The Horseshoe. I would not penelize Michigan for playing Ohio State already as they just barely lost anyway. After the season has finished it is my opinion that Michigan is the number two team in the nation regardless.

If the voters change their vote simply because they don't want a rematch, they shouldn't vote because that isn't right. I have no problem with them voting for Florida if they feel that Florida is the #2 team, but I find it interesting they haven't thought of that until now...

As for a playoff system, no. Simply no. I've always been for a +1 System on a year-by-year basis, with guidelines to follow it. This year, as soon as USC lost, I would say no to a +1 System. If USC had one and you had 3 legit arguments for #2, then I wouldn't mind it. In a playoff system old games like USC/Texas, Miami/OSU, they would be penelized for showing they are the top two teams and then we let in 6 undeserving teams. And in a 4 team system EVERY year sometimes we let in 2 undeserving teams. Year-By-Year +1 System would work out fine in my opinion. No rotating it between bowls... just simply add an extra bowl like they have done, play the 2 games on New Year's and then one week after that on the 8th play the National Championship game. Outside of the year Auburn got shafted I have always felt the BCS worked, and don't give me the year LSU won, because the way I saw it... taking out all the polls and such that humans always screw up by pre-season polls and favoring historical institutions... USC lost to an unranked team, LSU and OU lost to ranked teams... pretty much summed it up for me.

Edited by ACCBiggz

Corso just said that he thinks a lot of coaches are going to think "Michigan had their chance and they didn't get the job done, let's give someone else a shot".

Hmm. He also said that at the very least, he thinks the SEC coaches are going to remember how Auburn got screwed a few years ago and that they'll vote Florida over Michigan out of revenge or something. Interesting theory.

Yeah, and if that is their reason for voting that way... they shouldn't vote. It is about this season and who they think is the #2 team. Yes, UM played OSU already and lost, but it was in the Horseshoe and they lost by 3. Florida played Auburn and lost a close game... so both have legit arguments... if those coaches think UF is #2 based on merit, then fine and dandy by me, but if they are voting simply on that reason by Auburn and not wanting a rematch, screw them it's not right.

Clearly Boise State should be in the title game.

:shifty:

I'm still of the mind that Florida should be in it, since Michigan had their chance and lost. The idea of losing the "big game" to an opponent you already beat makes me a little sick, but it comes down to votes. Should be damn close, but I honestly don't see either team beating Ohio State anyways.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/foot...-home-headlines

There isn't going to be a rematch.

No. 1 Ohio State will play No. 2 Florida, not Michigan, for the Bowl Championship Series national title on Jan. 8 in Glendale, Ariz.

According to a BCS source, Florida moved from fourth to second today ahead of No. 3 Michigan in the final BCS standings.

An official announcement will come this evening in a televised unveiling on Fox.

The news means that USC will play Michigan, not Louisiana State, in the Rose Bowl on Jan. 1.

LSU had pre-sold more than 42,000 tickets in advance of making its first-ever Rose Bowl appearance, but UCLA's upset win over previously No. 2 USC on Saturday, coupled with Florida's win over Arkansas in the Southeastern Conference championship game, changed the final pairings.

The BCS bowl lineup is now expected to be:

Rose: USC vs. Michigan.

Sugar: Notre Dame vs. LSU.

Orange: Louisville vs. Wake Forest.

Fiesta: Oklahoma vs. Boise State.

Florida's jump over No. 3 Michigan, which was idle Saturday and has not played since a three-point loss to No. 1 Ohio State on Nov. 18, likely will cause more uproar in BCS circles.

This will mark the fifth time in the nine-year history of the BCS that there has been controversy involving the title-game participants.

In the end, enough voters in the Harris Interactive and USA Today coaches' polls moved Florida to No. 2, ahead of Michigan, on their final ballots.

Ohio State Coach Jim Tressel released a statement today saying he did not vote in the final coaches' poll to avoid the perception of a conflict of interest.

"After consultation with my director of athletics, Gene Smith, and based on our unique position in the BCS standings, I believe it is only fair that we not participate (in) the final poll," Tressel said in a statement.

Michigan and Florida each finished the regular season with one loss, on the road. Michigan was 11-1 with its defeat at Ohio State, while 12-1 Florida lost at Auburn.

Florida picked up 66 points on Michigan in the coaches' poll and finished with a 26-point advantage.

Bring on Florida, if/when we beat them that will be a very impressive season for us.

Finally. Now we'd better get ready for plenty of bitching against the BCS. This'll be bigger than a presidential recount. :ohwell:

To be fair, Florida played and won 2 very close, very difficult games after OSU finished, and they played one more game total thanks to the SEC title game. There's still probably some bias involved, but there is reasoning for putting Florida over Ohio State that some (not many, but a few) would buy.