The 2006/2007 TV Season Thus Far

TGC

So I decided I'd come in here after a few episodes of each new show that I am going to watch airs and give my two cents on them thus far. I hope others do the same.

Vanished

I had a lot to say about this thing in the Prison Break Season Two thread yesterday, and while it is applicable I don't want to simply copy and paste that, so here we go with something slightly new. This show is simply not very good, but it's not completely unwatchable crap either. The acting is pretty god awful from two thirds of the cast, the writing is cliched, the characters are about as one dimensional as you can get, and thus far nothing has truly grabbed me and made me need to continue watching. What gets me most is this show is from a former Executive Producer and writer of CSI, a show that know how to make its characters real from week to week for 42 minutes. I've thus far watched three episodes of Vanished and nobody is more than a cliche or a stock character. Sadly it has become a show that two of my kids like, so we sit together and watch it, so i'm not going to cut and run on it just yet, but it seriously needs to be retooled and fast or I don't think it's going to last the season. The ratings for the show show that it loses a significant amount of the Prison Break lead in audience, and that's not good at all. I'm not going to go into great detail about what the conspiracy is or even who might be involved, because I just don't care. Wanna know what it's about? The Governor's wife who we meet for all of 8 minutes disappears and everyone starts looking for her. You don't get to know her, you don't get to like her, in fact, you have no feelings for her whatsoever. Then, as the first three episodes continue you don't get to like her any more or feel any sympathy for her family, you grow to despise them all. The victim, the family, the media, the FBI, you grow to dislike every damn person in this show. Not a good way to run a TV show at all.

Overall Grade D

Justice

I had heard that this show was bad from the opening scene of the first episode to the last second, and boy do I disagree. I like a good police procedural show such as a CSI, L&O, and especially Criminal Minds. Something with a unique twist will always capture my attention as well, and Justice has a unique twist. From the POV of the hottest trial law firm in LA, we follow the defense from their hiring of the suspect through their planning processes all the way to the verdict from the trial, and then after the client is convicted or acquitted, they show you what actually took place. Did the Real Estate guy kill his wife in a jealous rage because she was a whore or did she slip and fall banging her head and accidentally died while he was tucking their child in bed? You get to decide, then you get to see if you were right or wrong. The show stars Victor Garber and Kerr Smith, both of whom have been on a hit TV show in the past, along with two people whose faces don't look familiar at all. The main cast of four has a good chemistry thus far, the acting is solid, and the writing is well done also. So far I have no complaints. It's not ground breaking TV and it won't win any awards I'm sure, but it's a solid show that is fun, sometimes funny, and a nice way to kill an hour. Plus, a novel twist this year, it's a drama where you don't have to watch every episode or you'll be lost. Come and go from episode to episode at your own leisure, because this show has no convoluted continuing story thus far.

Overall Grade B+

After tonight's second episode of Standoff I'll give my thoughts on it tomorrow.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heartily agree on the two shows you mention. I was massively disappointed while watching Vanished and haven't bothered to watch the second or third episodes. Kidnapped was better than it on the basis of the pilots and I'd imagine it'll stay that way.

I was also pleasantly surprised by Justice. I'm normally not a fan of procedural dramas at all, but the legal spin on this (as well as the awesome Victor Garber) pleasantly surprised me. I was also genuinely left guessing as to whether the suspect was guilty - and the end-of-episode revelation will be a great selling point.

I'm really anticipating The Office Season 3. I saw Family Guy and thought it was mediocre, it seems like South Park's cartoon wars kind of proved a huge point that Family Guy is a string of jokes that have nothing to do with the "plot" and it's gotten a lot less funny. Meh, the entire Fox comedy line-up is kind of dead to me anyways, other than the fact that they've thrown in Scrubs re-runs on the Laugh Pack every weekday (Y)

The only TV show I seem to follow these days is Top Gear...

Series 8 in the Summer was all kinds of awesome. Some of their more hilarious exploits rather shattered the willing suspension of disbelief because they were so obviously staged, but as a pro-wrestling fan I can't really be complaining about that sort of thing.

Series 9 to start again on 8th October, just a few weeks away. (Y)

The only TV show I seem to follow these days is Top Gear...

Series 8 in the Summer was all kinds of awesome. Some of their more hilarious exploits rather shattered the willing suspension of disbelief because they were so obviously staged, but as a pro-wrestling fan I can't really be complaining about that sort of thing.

Series 9 to start again on 8th October, just a few weeks away. (Y)