Noel Gallaghar's Thoughts on Australian Football

Chris the Human

Oasis frontman Noel Gallagher has let rip at the Socceroos, saying Australians should stick to sports they're better at.

The keen soccer fan saw the Socceroos play at the World Cup in Germany this year and says he wasn't impressed.

Gallagher, renowned for his controversial outbursts, said he did not have a great deal of respect for Australians playing soccer.

"Stick to the Aussie Rules and the tennis and the cricket and the rugby, you are good at that," he told AAP from the United Kingdom.

"Football is the game of the intelligentsia and you are shit at it.

"You will never win anything so give it up."

The 39-year-old is a keen follower of his hometown club Manchester City and was the unofficial mascot of Italian World Cup striker Alessandro Del Piero.

It was the Italians that dumped the Socceroos out of the World Cup under controversial circumstances, thanks to a hotly disputed last-minute penalty.

"What do they call them, the Socceroos?"

"Do me a f---ing favour, you could come up with a better nickname than that."

Gallagher says he has a particular dislike for Socceroos midfielder Tim Cahill, who plays for Liverpool club Everton.

"I don't know, there is something about him. I would love to kick him right in the bollocks."

Cahill scored two goals for the Socceroos in the World Cup match against Japan and was widely considered one of the country's best players of the tournament.

"He has just got one of those faces," said Gallagher, whose brother Liam is also in Oasis.

"Don't you find his face really slapable? I can assure you, lots of people in England do."

Oasis toured Australia last December and next month release a "best of" album, titled Stop the Clocks.

The album features a selection of what Gallagher considers the band's best work, including tracks such as Wonderwall and Morning Glory.

Despite his outburst, Gallagher said he liked visiting Australia and that he was "gagging" to get over for the Ashes cricket series.

"The last time was just brilliant so the sooner the better for me," he said.

:lol:

Well, it made front page here, which I guess is a good indication of just how far 'soccer' has come in the eyes of the Australian public. A few years ago, the comment would have been an afterthought and would have had a poll of 'Do you agree with Noel Gallaghar' attached.

What a royal twat. He goes for Man City and bags us out for not winning anything? We shall say hello to him after we win the Asian Cup thingy.

I shall want to bring a sign to the cricket saying "Gallagher, your band is shit and so is your team".

And technically, we have won things, even if they are only the shithouse OFC Nations Cups :lol:

Asian Nations Cup is a likely victory for us, assuming we hire a coach who isn't Graham Arnold. The man isn't qualified to be guiding our side, as evidenced by our ordinary form since the World Cup. A 2-0 win over Kuwait, 2-0 loss to Kuwait, 2-0 win over Bahrain, and 1-1 draw with Paraguay aren't good enough.

Guest Tequilla Rockin' Bird

A round earlier was the difference between this apparent shitty team who can only beat the Solomon Islands and the team who apparently already had the tournement in the bag before a ball was kicked.

I'm English by the way.

Only idiots (aka the press) thought England would win it.

Though I did think we had a massive change going into a game with an understregnth Portugal team, a combination of a shit manager and well..a shit manager became our downfall.

I don't really have a problem with Australia, I just like how they've just discovered football while the rest of the world has been playing it for years and years, and now they're acting as if they're a major force after one World Cup second round appearance.

Noel Gallagher is a legend. Partly down to his out right hatred towards Man Utd.

And yeah, Australians, don't cling on the fact you lot made it to the second round for fucks sake. So did Senegal in 2002, and yeah, what have they done since? Fuck all. Ireland made it to the second round as well in 2002, and were hammered 5-1 by Cyprus not too long ago.

And come on, nobody even compare Australia to England in football. England are up there with the likes of France, Brazil and whoever else on their day.

A 2-0 win over Kuwait, 2-0 loss to Kuwait, 2-0 win over Bahrain, and 1-1 draw with Paraguay aren't good enough.
Edited by Lost Soul

Guest Tequilla Rockin' Bird

And come on, nobody even compare Australia to England in football. England are up there with the likes of France, Brazil and whoever else on their day.

Edited by Tequilla Rockin' Bird

Yeah, yeah we've heard all that before. Whens this day gonna come when we become as good as France and Brazil? We're average at best and that's based on our performances in every major tournement on away soil not on my own personal opinion.