Five US gets 'Whose Line...' rights

alldaws1

Five US buys US improv show

Thursday, November 30 2006, 16:15 GMT

By Joanne Oatts, Media Correspondent

Five US has acquired the rights to show 88 episodes of the US version of Whose Line Is It Anyway?.

The improvised comedy show, originally a BBC Radio 4 format, will run over the next two years on the channel, starting from the first week of January.

Katie Keenan, deputy controller of acquistions, brokered the deal from distributor Warner Bros.

The US version is produced by Riverside Productions in association with Hat Trick Productions, which created the UK version for Channel 4 in the 1990's.

Fantastic. I've always loved the US version of Whose Line and I'm glad it's going to be shown again over here.

Are they still making new episodes of it or did it die a while ago?

Ryan Stiles :wub:

EDIT: source - DigitalSpy.co.uk

Edited by AD

:o:wub: I missed that show so much... I have old tapes lying around with random episodes taped onto them which I still watch... Pretty sure they are still making new episodes too.

...I thought they were still making them... :(

Edited by TheEvilOverlordVersion1.0

Guest Mr. Potato Head

They are not TAPING any new episodes of the US version, but they've still been putting together new episodes from previous tapings from time to time, as recently as last month.

Wayne Brady sucks. I never liked him on Whose Line. I would always hope that some of the British comics on the UK WLiiA would participate in the US, particularly Josie Lawrence and Tony Slattery :D

I want older Whose Line eps on BBC-America...not the ones I've seen so many times. :(

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Josie did participate in the American version for one taping...they initially made two episodes of it, I think there might have been another in the last couple of years.

And there were strong rumours of Tony doing an American taping, but I don't think it ever happened.

I :wub: Ryan Stiles in this. I watched the episode were he was trying to deny being Gay last night and that was pretty good.

Edited by Hawkeye

I have the episodes on tape featuring Robin Williams and Richard Simmons, those are classics.

Absolutely, the Robin Williams one in particular has to be amongst my top three favourites.

Scenes From A Hat gets the most laughs from me, I just love that round. I think it was that that began the 'how does food become poo' from Colin in one of the shows. That was hilarious.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

IIRC, it's not even the whole season out on DVD, just a handful of episodes and two reels of outtakes. From what I've heard, it's not worth the price, especially when it's almost all on Youtube or the Idiotsite (cheap plug).