Rocky Balboa

Guest muddatrucker

Guest muddatrucker

Anyone caught this film yet? I'm a massive Rocky fan - regardless of how shitty 5 was (and still is). It'd been put back so many times, I can remember when the first rumours about a 6th started, ages ago.

Either way, I wasn't holding out much hope for it, the first trailer didn't look all that but I finally got to watch it and its actually really good, it couldn't get any shitter than 5, but it was good enough to make up for it. The fight scene was slightly different to the usual but it was good regardless.

There was only one cringeworthy moment too and that was the side shot of him running up a hill, he looked like he was struggling his arse off - his face looked quite plastic too, but I forgive him.

DF-02108_r3.jpg

Guest Tequilla Rockin' Bird

I'm a massive fan aswell, I love the cheesefest that is Rocky IV the most. He looks abit shit in the stills from it but I'm sure the airbrush will be out for the actual film. It's released over here on the 19th of January.

I saw it the day it came out and loved it. I posted a full review in the movies thread, but basically it comes down to the coolness of seeing a Rocky movie as an adult in the theater. It certainly wasn't reinventing the wheel, but it's a great movie and a perfect closing to the franchise. I'm also really surprised at how much love it's getting from critics, I thought they would have ripped it to shreds.

I saw it on Wednesday, and I loved it. I got the Rocky Anthology (box set) for Christmas, and I've watched all of them again. The original is probably the best, but I like all of them equally...except for Rocky V. That was just...ugh. It was a decent movie, but horrible for a Rocky film.

Guest muddatrucker

The thing is, everyone who hasn't seen the movie is saying how its pathetic (even I was thinking that - I didn't wanna be further embarrassed than Rocky 5) but then you see how they do it (no thanks to the trailers I originally saw) and it makes a fair bit of sense. I've even heard people complaining that it was almost TOO real, with the proper commentators, proper sponsors and all that stuff, but its good.

Basically you're going to get the people who'll never watch it but slate it regardless, they've gone from Rocky 5 which is probably one of the worst films I've ever watched and they've saved the day with Balboa and made it one of the better of the franchise.

They've done this one spot on I think, it was never going to be as good as the first, as well, that was just brilliant for it's time. But I love the way this film brings in the Rocky of old into a boxing world he's never really been a part of except of.

I think my favourite part of the film is the development of Paulie, watching him through all the films, I just love how rich and matured this Paulie is.

And on a side note, I was still preying for Clubber Lang to be Dixon's corner or something, can't beat a bit of T. :P

The thing is, everyone who hasn't seen the movie is saying how its pathetic (even I was thinking that - I didn't wanna be further embarrassed than Rocky 5) but then you see how they do it (no thanks to the trailers I originally saw) and it makes a fair bit of sense. I've even heard people complaining that it was almost TOO real, with the proper commentators, proper sponsors and all that stuff, but its good.

Basically you're going to get the people who'll never watch it but slate it regardless, they've gone from Rocky 5 which is probably one of the worst films I've ever watched and they've saved the day with Balboa and made it one of the better of the franchise.

Edited by Thatz

I think the whole problem people had with Rocky V is the fact that there wasn't a boxing match for Rocky. I mean, yes, Rocky's a boxer, but it's not about boxing. It's about a guy doing the only thing he really knows how to do. And in Rocky V, there he is, suddenly broke, and discovering that the only way he could make a living was suddenly taken away from him.

I just wonder, why the hell was Mickey's Gym shut down? That was willed to Robert, so you think that Rocky could've kept it going. Rocky was a hell of a trainer, look what he did for Tommy...

Guest muddatrucker

And its pathetic that such a marketable world champion suddenly had to go back to a shithole and work a crap job and wear his old clothes - it just didn't make sense. Oh and he comes home and his son has aged about 4 years and its 'so great to be home' - apart from the fact that its a completely different house to where you left.

Basically the only reason why I accept it, is because its got the rocky name attached to it and thats the only reason why I dont pull the DVD out and stamp all over it.