The Mafia Discussion Thread

Many people hate day starts. I want to use a day start, in my upcoming game, to let every single player get involved for at least one day phase.

Still, people do hate day starts. With my mafia game I was thinking of having people vote for the mayor instead of voting to lynch.

Has that been done that often, in past Mafia games(I think I recall it being in one or two but not many) and would it make a day start more acceptable for you all?

Also one question that I've wanted to ask for a while. Has a mafia ever thrown their Don under the bus for self-preservation or some other reason?

Both have been done.

Regarding mayors, they still don't give a shit. It's weird, we as a whole whine like a motherfucker if we're offed first in the night phase, but god forbid you start in the day phase so we get a chance to play because we'll just piss it away voting to start at night.

As for throwing dons under the bus...I'm sure it's happened but I can't remember a specific instance.

It's not that I don't like day starts... it's just usually what happens is the following.

Person A: "Joke Vote, Person B"

Person B: "Joke Vote, Person A"

lol lol lol

Person C: "Says something stupid"

A and B Person: "OMG Person C has to be scum they slipped!"

Lynch update Person C was lynched he was town...just stupid.

People hate day starts because at that stage there's no reason to not lynch anybody so it's impossible to defend yourself.

It's one thing to get offed by mafia at night because then you get to feel like you were deemed a threat; if you're offed by the town how do you NOT feel like the town thinks they're better off without you (and if they truly are better off without you, how will you ever improve your play if you're constantly eliminated early)?

Well thanks guys, you've given me a bit to think about. :)

One more question, does anyone have any mafia's to recommend which have stellar performances from vanilla townies?

I struggle as vanilla in particular and it'd be nice to read about some great vanilla performances to maybe give me a few pointers.

I prefer day starts, but I understand players that have a tougher time defending themselves, or that don't have a reputation being frustrated by them. It's hard to do anything worthwile unless nearly everyone is participating and the day's given time to progress. We usually just give up trying to get the scum to do something scummy and vote no lynch, which makes day starts pointless.

I prefer night starts not because of anything to do with gameplay, but on the basis that practically every game that starts during the day turns into everyone no lynching to the first night anyway.

Guest Mr. Feta Head

If there's a night start, no way the entire game agrees not to use night abilities. If there's a day start, entirely possible the entire game agrees on a no lynch. Day starts are more democratic because they give everyone the choice of what start they really want.

And Ego, don't think of it as sucking at vanilla townie. Think of it as sucking as any townie. :shifty: But seriously, any of the better players here will be paying more attention to stuff even a vanilla townie could pick up on (i.e. behaviour in the thread), and less attention to what their ability might tell them. Read some of the traditional mafias for examples of how scum can get lynched based solely on play, not because they were investigated or anything.

Rookie game runner mistake, apologies. :(

I'll pre-reg you as an unbeatable don my next game. :shifty:

And those notes in your corpse post are noted, any advice is always welcomed.

Edited by Eddie 'AW' G

So, I'm still kinda frustrated with Ocean's 11 Mafia (see my corpse post), as I feel that I was on my way to leading a mafia victory before getting outed by a write-up.

To be fair, the game was turning into a claimfest, it was down to you and two others. Even without the night update reveal, it was a 2/3 chance of hitting scum....there was no way the mafia was walkign out of that game with the win. You were leading the mafia towards nothing.

Yeah....3 people who haven't claimed, and, what? 5-6 who have? You're obviously high if you thought you were walking out of that claimfest.

Because players being subbed back into games is a new things and changes everything! Except, you know...it really doesn't. EddieG knows what he is doing, he didn't break anything (like I did) when he subbed me back in. Fuck, I was put back into Futurama Mafia 3 damn times!

I have no issues with people being subbed back in, as long as they don't have information that the role they're taking over for didn't.

You were an investigator, paranoid or not, so you had information burny didn't. Therefore, you shouldn't have been allowed back in.

And if you think I couldn't have walked away with victory in that game, you seriously under-estimate my abilities. I'm not going to ruin the game, but the plan was still in effect, and workable.

Also, the town should have just listened to me when I called you out as my main suspect. If they had done so, this game would be completely different. Just pleased that my instinct was right on, that time.

You didn't have much of a chance once it became a claimfest either, as much as you want to think you had a chance, there really wasn't any way out of that one. Such is the problem with a game like this, once people start claiming, the Mafia rarely has a shot.

It was a mistake to bring Ruki back, I must admit. This being said, i'm lined up to do my first one soon, so I shall not pass judgement until I give it a go.

• Like 2