Def Jam Icon

zero

Good news for anyone with a 360, a demo will be released on Thursday.

Def Jam demo beats on XBL this week

Free trial of EA's Def Jam: Icon headed to Xbox Live Marketplace Thursday; single-player demo includes Big Boi, T.I. as playable.

By Tim Surette, GameSpot

Electronic Arts is hoping that tussles between rappers not only sell records, but also sell games. The California-based publisher is releasing Def Jam: Icon, the first next-gen version of the hip-hop fighting franchise, on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 this March.

To prepare for the game's launch, EA is giving Xbox 360 owners a chance to go toe-to-toe with the game for free. EA has confirmed to GameSpot that a demo of Icon is scheduled to be available on Xbox Live Marketplace this Thursday.

The single-player demo will feature Big Boi--also known as one-half of Outkast--and T.I. as playable brawlers on the Gas Station level. Gameplay will be timed, and the two songs that will keep gamers tapping their toes and kicking their opponents' cans are "Kryptonite" from Purple Ribbon All-Stars featuring Big Boi and "Top Back" from T.I.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the demo for this just.

It's a really good game, and i love the timing system they brought into it (certain things happening only at certain points of the song).

It reminds me a little of the backyard wrestling games (use of enviroment to inflict pain) only this is like 100X better.

I thought it sucked. The controls were really awkward, and I really didn't have a clue what I was doing. Granted, I've never played a Def Jam game before, but based on the demo, I'm not going to be anytime soon. There weren't any lifebars in the demo, so it was seemingly impossible to know what works, what doesn't and who's winning. The music background thing was cool, but it didn't really seem to do much in the game I played. The feature will probably kick ass if you're using you own music though.

I thought it was thoroughly meh, based on the demo.

My confidence and excitement for this game as fallen greatly since initial reviews are coming in. It looks like they completely gutted the core gameplay. I'd need to hear from a fan of FFNY to tell me if this one is worth it.

I only played it a couple times, but the controls seemed really simple, like the old Mortal Kombat games...just high punch, low punch, high kick, low kick, block and grab, which I thought was weird...

I loved scratching to make the gas pumps explode and throwing the guy into the store so the clerk sprayed him with a fire extinguisher, though. Looks like a rental, at least.

• 1 month later...