What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

fog_of_war.jpg

When McNamara argues that Kennedy was rational, Kruschev was rational, Castro was rational, and that the world was only minutes away from nuclear annihilation, and that we were saved by simple luck, I felt as if I had been punched in the stomach. And I realized for the first time that, sometime, someplace, somehow, mankind will destroy itself. It's inevitable. As he later says, "You can't change human nature."

McNamara comes across as very bright, and seemingly quite honest. He admits that had the U.S. lost WWII, he and Curtis LeMay would have been tried as war criminals. How many powerful men have gone on record saying that they are guilty of war crimes? The movie is astonishing if for only that admission. Okay, he fudges a bit, rationalizes his actions, but still its a remarkable moment. Would Henry Kissinger ever say such a thing?

This is a must see film for any student of history or power.

Only negative: the abrupt, MTV style jump cuts which only make things more difficult to follow.

8/10

Guest John Kerry's Evil Twin

Stealing Harvard: 7.5/10

Blazing Saddles: 10/10

Monty Python and the Holy Grail: 10/10

American Pie: 7/10

Meet the Parents: 8/10

Zoolander: 8.5/10

Guest Red Devil

Watched Memento yesterday. I've been meaning to watch it for some time now and finally got around to doing it. Awesome movie that was really different and had me interested all the way through. 10/10!

Traffic - 8/10

I keep changing my opinion on this movie. I definately love it, it's definately grown on me, but then again there are things that could've been so much better than they actually were. Benicio del Toro and Don Cheadle were both fantastic in their roles, and definately the best in the movie, which is huge considering who else was in it. The plot deals with three different stories all interconnected slightly, which deal with the world of drug trafficing (hence the name).

True Romance - 8.5/10

My favorite Tony Scott film ever, written by Tarantino, the movie stars Patricia Arquette as a hooker who decides to leave the life when she finds love with Slater's character, and Christian Slater as a mid-wage kid who stumbles upon a cocaine-filled briefcase. The two go to Hollywood to get as much as they can for their movies, only to get hounded by gangsters and police alike. Look out for all the cameos, my favorite of all being Gary Oldman as the pimp, Drexl. Also look out for the infamous Sicillian Scene between Christopher Walken and Dennis Hopper.

Old School - 7.5/10

The movie that really put the Frat Pack in the limelight, and really started the current surge of Frat Pack movies. The three stars (Vince Vaughn, Will Ferrell and Luke Wilson) as three adults all going through their own crisises (that even a word? >_>) who decide to start a frat. Vince was really great in the film, so if you're a fan of him and have yet to see this movie, somehow, then get it as soon as possible.

Guest John Kerry's Evil Twin

Ever felt like you were surrounded by postwhores?

The Scorpion King: 8/10

Edited by John Kerry's Evil Twin

Spun - 6.5/10

It's.. unique. The directing is odd and quirky, but definately is in sync with the rest of the movie. The plot, in it's simplest form, would be something like this - 'A junkie (Jason Schwartzmann) becomes his dealer's (Mickey Rourke) personal driver while being on a three day speed binge'. Also starring are Brittany Murphy in one of her best roles yet as Rourke's girlfriend, John Leguizamo as one of the dealers of Rourke, Mena Suvari as Leguizamo's girlfriend, and Peter Stormare as an eccentric, meth-addicted cop with a reality TV show. Look out for cameos by Ron Jeremy, Rob Halford and Billy Corgan. I'm probably going to watch it again in the following week, and the rating will more than likely change, so yeah.

The Island 6/10

f*cking boring first hour or so (maybe a bit less) that headed for 5/10 at best territory, bar the excellent Steve Buscemi part..... Then it picks up into a decent film of its kind, though it gets slightly rushed at the end (if the original cut was too long why not cut down the 'pre escape' part of the film that lasts about seven ice ages?), and lacks ANY tension or drama towards the end at all. Is funny in places, but Michael Bay's usual 'style over substance' direction goes too far and does spoil the film a little.

Overall not bad once it gets going, but nothing great. Also, despite liking him a lot in the 'Long Way Round' TV series, I'm starting to think Ewan McGregor is not the brilliant actor some people seem to think he is.....

Edited by timmayy