Terrell Owens

I love how simple the text is . my only gripe is I think it would look better if the profile shot was brightened up a bit and the the other cut was lowered in opacity. good job 7/10

Also, it's Terrell Owens, that automatically means it sucks (:shifty:).

So predictable, Be. Just as I posted it I thought you might leave a comment along those lines :P

went a little overboard with the darkness imo.

it's not a bad splash, but the text really brings it down. placements looks nice, but overall the splash is kinda boring. not bad though, it looks okay.

Can you explain how the text brings it down? I'm with rockbox and Doc in that I thought it looked good being simple as it is 'n' stuff :\

I think it'd look better if the main cut was in colour, because at the moment there's nothing that really stands out.

I like the text though, simple, smart and not overly complicated.

Both cuts are actually in colour. If you look at it long enough you can probably tell, it's just that I lowered the opacity quite a bit on them.

the problem with going with a simple text is even though it provides satisfaction to the people looking at the splash, it does nothing to help the graphics, what i mean is, okay, it's there, now what do we do? disregard it? act like it's not there? it doesn't add anything to the graphics. With a much better text, even though you risk aggrivating some people, could result into making the graphics look better. it could make your graphic unique to someone else's, cause right now, the banner is as simple as anybody else's.

i'm not saying it's bad, not at all, that's the good thing with putting a simple text, no one can say that it looks bad, cause it's too simple to even notice. at least with a better text, it would compliment the graphics even more.

p.s. i'm not trying to start any arguement here or something, you asked for opinions, and i gave mine, i just hope people don't start to think that i'm bashing u or anything.

Edited by deepfwiedsushi

The thing you have to ask yourself however is if he's doing this as a simple graphic, or if he's doing this to make it look like a professional design. In my opinion, with some tweaks in color and opacity, leaving the text as is will make it a beautifully professional-looking design. Changing the text to anything more complex would, in my eyes, ruin the piece... because then it would look more like an internet graphic, and less like a professional design.

Simple text is the way to go for something like this, I'd say.

The thing you have to ask yourself however is if he's doing this as a simple graphic, or if he's doing this to make it look like a professional design. In my opinion, with some tweaks in color and opacity, leaving the text as is will make it a beautifully professional-looking design. Changing the text to anything more complex would, in my eyes, ruin the piece... because then it would look more like an internet graphic, and less like a professional design.

Edited by deepfwiedsushi

Before I begin: Don't be a pussy, dude. You're getting talked down, get a spine and defend yourself with your opinions. Don't try and cower off into a corner, I know you don't want to start an argument, but this isn't arguing: this is a discussion. Sure, we're debating a topic, but arguing gets aggressive and derogatory. This isn't, this is a discussion.

I hate it when people voice their opinion and then pussy out of a decent conversation between someone with a conflicting opinion.

That said, I'm in college being taught by people successful in the industry, people who do designs professionally. I know what professional means, and that it does not mean not being creative. That wasn't what I was saying at all, you seem however to hang onto that notion.

There are many things that you, as the designer, have to consider: who is your target audience and what would they like? If he's shooting for a professional design, that's one thing he'd take into account, as well as what the company who he'd do this for would be looking for. Often times, NFL goes for a bolder, simple style like the one he's used. They don't step too far off from that.

Simple is often times better for these companies because they like it that way, which is why I asked the question as to whether or not he wanted it as a professional piece. Now then, once again, consider the context: what if you're doing a banner for a rock concert? Simple isn't the way to go at all, because chances are they're looking for something edgy, or something that really captures a "rock" feel. A simple font won't usually do that.

In this case, with his subject matter, potential target market, and who he would be hired by to design such a thing... as a professional design, it's perfect in structure, layout and font choice. He needs to work on coloring and opacity, and it'd be great. That's taking into account all of those things and applying them to the idea of a professional design.

Note that I continue to say professional, not plain or uncreative. People tend to think that simple lacks creativity, but that's utter bull. Simple can still be very creative, it's all in what the designer does with it.

How is being a better man and not arguing about a stupid splash to someone that doesn't have anything to do with it being a pussy? Seriously, I'd understand if the designer of the splash reacted that way, but why are you getting defensive, are you some sort of expert who's stuck in a wrestling forum? He asked for opinions and I gave mine, I don't see you arguing with other people's comments. How am I getting talked down to, when you haven't made any good arguements that proves my comment wrong.

So, anyways....

That said, I'm in college being taught by people successful in the industry, people who do designs professionally. I know what professional means, and that it does not mean not being creative. That wasn't what I was saying at all, you seem however to hang onto that notion.
Edited by deepfwiedsushi

the problem with going with a simple text is even though it provides satisfaction to the people looking at the splash, it does nothing to help the graphics, what i mean is, okay, it's there, now what do we do? disregard it? act like it's not there? it doesn't add anything to the graphics. With a much better text, even though you risk aggrivating some people, could result into making the graphics look better. it could make your graphic unique to someone else's, cause right now, the banner is as simple as anybody else's.

i'm not saying it's bad, not at all, that's the good thing with putting a simple text, no one can say that it looks bad, cause it's too simple to even notice. at least with a better text, it would compliment the graphics even more.

p.s. i'm not trying to start any arguement here or something, you asked for opinions, and i gave mine, i just hope people don't start to think that i'm bashing u or anything.

This doesn't make any sense to me. You say the text provides satisfaction to people looking at the splash, which is the intention, and then you go on to bash it? I chose to keep it simple, leaving off bevel and other effects because that's the feel I wanted to go for. Adding bevels and whatnot would make the text look out of place IMO.

that's a common misunderstanding though.

people think, professional means you can't be creative or what not, and that's wrong. Even if he wanted the design to be professional, doesn't mean you have to limit yourself to something plain. People can create a design that's professional and yet appealing to the eye, and i just don't see this as one of them. Also, the text he used isn't the only "simple" text available, there are much more text that might've worked better than that. Another thing, just because something looks like an internet graphic, does not mean it's not professional, if you're a descent "pro" you can make something attractive, and not go overboard.

p.s. i really don't want this arguement to continue, so reply anyway you want, i won't be answering back, i just posted my opinion, and i stand by it. i don't want to start any fight over it.

So you're saying professional is boring and plain? The text doesn't have to have fancy effects to look good. For me, the layout and positioning of text is just as important as the font and effects.

This doesn't make any sense to me. You say the text provides satisfaction to people looking at the splash, which is the intention, and then you go on to bash it? I chose to keep it simple, leaving off bevel and other effects because that's the feel I wanted to go for. Adding bevels and whatnot would make the text look out of place IMO.

Edited by deepfwiedsushi

How is being a better man and not arguing about a stupid splash to someone that doesn't have anything to do with it being a pussy? Seriously, I'd understand if the designer of the splash reacted that way, but why are you getting defensive, are you some sort of expert who's stuck in a wrestling forum? He asked for opinions and I gave mine, I don't see you arguing with other people's comments. How am I getting talked down to, when you haven't made any good arguements that proves my comment wrong.

Your opinion means nothing because you can't back it up. Anytime somebody challenges your opinion you throw up your hands and run off.

I never said your opinion was wrong, so I don't know where you got that from.

And again, I don't know where you got the "he won't get banned" rubbish from, because the only one trying to turn this into an argument is you.