Terrell Owens

So you're saying professional is boring and plain? The text doesn't have to have fancy effects to look good. For me, the layout and positioning of text is just as important as the font and effects.

okay, how many times do i have to say that when i said something you did was boring, i meant that text, i know you did well with the layout and positioning, already, so what's the point of me telling you how wonderful it is. By posting how you could make the text look better I'm trying to help out.

I didn't say that my layout and positioning was great, I was saying that in general on any graphic I think that is as important as all these effects you suggest I should apply to the text on my graphic.

i don't understand why you post your graphics to be rated if you only want people posting "oh me luvs u work, u pawn, ur a pro" and not people posting criticism over it. I still stand by with what i said on my first post...

it's not a bad splash, but the text really brings it down. placements looks nice, but overall the splash is kinda boring. not bad though, it looks okay.

i still think the text brings down what would've been a very good piece. I'm sorry if you think the splash is perfect, but being into graphics for awhile now, I've seen loads better, so don't be mad at me for not praising your work.

When did I say I don't want to receive any criticism? You and others criticised my graphic, I responded and made a new version. Just because I disagreed with you on a matter doesn't mean I want only praise for my graphics :\

Again, when have I said that I think the splash is perfect? And how did you come to the conclusion that I'm mad? Please, get it out of your head that this is an argument. Just because people are disagreeing with you doesn't mean it's an argument, we're not shouting or calling you names we're just discussing as Norris said. And I don't know why you're talking about getting banned just because you hold a different opinion to someone else. We're just discussing,not breaking any rules or anything...

we're not shouting or calling you names

with replies like these, i beign to doubt whether you even read the posts other than yours...

I hate it when people voice their opinion and then pussy out of a decent conversation between someone with a conflicting opinion.
i'm pretty sure saying that someone's pussying out is the same as saying someone's being a pussy, which in turns means his calling names. okay?

Nice selective quoting there. He said he hates when somebody does it and he asked you not to. He didn't say "you're a pussy".

Your opinion means nothing because you can't back it up. Anytime somebody challenges your opinion you throw up your hands and run off.

and your opinion does? where did you back up your opinion? huh? just because you sided with the majority doesn't mean you're right. have you proven that you know more about graphics than me, which makes your opinion more credible?e. you haven't proven that you know more in graphics than i do, so why do you think that your opinion counts, when you say mine doesn't?

I'm not saying he's right in saying your opinion doesn't count, because it does. But you don't have to be an expert on graphics to have a viable opinion. The object of graphics is to appeal to a wide audience, designers or not, so anybody can have an opinion as it all comes down to whether or not the graphic appeals to each individual.

seriously though, shut up, you have no connection to any of these, is this like your 15 minutes of fame, being able to side with that norro guy and spice? i'm fine with nitro girl spice replying, even though most of his replies seem like he never actually reads my posts, but at least he made the graphic, so there's a reason for him to react this way. Seriously though, is he god to you or something? or do you feel like he can't "discuss" things by himself? can someone other than nitro girl not talk if you're not going to rate the splash, cause I seriously don't see why you guys are even posting.

This is a discussion forum. He can say whatever he likes, you have no grounds to tell him to shut up. And he did actually rate the graphic...

it might have been selective quoting, but he said that by not replying, which i stated i planned to do, then i was pussying out, soby sayign this, he is implyig i'm a pussy cause i planned to not reply. sheesh.

I'm not saying he's right in saying your opinion doesn't count, because it does. But you don't have to be an expert on graphics to have a viable opinion. The object of graphics is to appeal to a wide audience, designers or not, so anybody can have an opinion as it all comes down to whether or not the graphic appeals to each individual.

I'm really liking the second version , still a tad dark but better than the original.

I've had the pleasure of working/talking with some really talented designers and no matter who I talk to I'm always told that it's best to have the typography compliment but not over shadow the main subject in the graphic. Bevel can be great when done right but most of the time it overloads the graphic as a whole.(I have trouble with this and I'm still struggling to break myself from the habit) . In this case , the typography stands out just enough to give the graphic the extra edge it needs without being too obtrusive. Most new designers think everything should have a bevel and thousands of effects to look good , but that's not the case and this graphic is an example of how simple can look better.

i know that! god, im asking if hes a better designer because he seems to think his opinion is more credible than mine, and im asking him why he would think so

You said that his opinion would be more credible if he was better at graphics than you!

have you proven that you know more about graphics than me, which makes your opinion more credible?
see that's the problem with you, you don't actually read and try to understand people's post, you read it once, and you imply that people is talking crap.

I do read and try to understand, but it's a bit difficult when your grammar and sentences are so confusing.

You're also implying that I'm talking crap. We're on two different sides, of course that's going to happen.

This is a discussion forum. He can say whatever he likes, you have no grounds to tell him to shut up. And he did actually rate the graphic...

this is a discussion forum about the graphic being asked to be rated, not people's criticism, i haven't seen people talk about people who compliment other people's work, why is it different with people criticizing it.

Maybe because people who praise the work give reasoning whereas your criticisms are so vague. "the text really brings it down". You should say what you think is wrong with it specifically. And that's why he's criticising you... for not backing up your opinion.

seriously, can you stop being so negative minded and try to see it from other people's side, because it seems that just because you think people have been arguing with you that all their posts are negative

I have seen it from other people's side! Did I not take the criticism and create a new version of the poster? Your posts are negative, that's what criticism is. It points out the negative points of something. How am I being negative minded when I took the criticisms and developed a new version based upon them?

seriously though, shut up, you have no connection to any of these, is this like your 15 minutes of fame, being able to side with that norro guy and spice? i'm fine with nitro girl spice replying, even though most of his replies seem like he never actually reads my posts, but at least he made the graphic, so there's a reason for him to react this way. Seriously though, is he god to you or something? or do you feel like he can't "discuss" things by himself? can someone other than nitro girl not talk if you're not going to rate the splash, cause I seriously don't see why you guys are even posting.

Deep, shut the hell up.

You obviously can't take your opinion being debated over, because you feel it's more of an "argument" and an attack against you then it is a simple discussion. You want to know why people are siding with me? Because I was only trying to discuss the graphic with you, and you decided to make yourself out to be a victim. All people have been trying to do is dispute your claim about how it's boring, and bring up a discussion. You turned it into an argument by not knowing how to properly handle people disagreeing with your criticism.

All of your advice is all good and well, but it's far too general. That's the problem with you that I've noticed: for a person trying to push that they know what they're talking about, you focus far to heavily on general things. You don't seem to realize the potential that any piece has based on simplicity, or beyond simplicity. Instead of selective quoting people's posts and trying to pick apart whatever's convenient for you, why don't you try and dispute the WHOLE claim?

There are a NUMBER of things he could have done, but what I've been saying is that from a professional standpoint, it's great. There's nothing really that *NEEDS* to be done. Sure, there's things that could be done, but I doubt that say, for example, adding a soft bevel to the text will make it any better. In fact, the solid look it has now adds more to the piece then if it weren't solid at all.

I'm not trying to pick things apart here, I'm just stating that from a professional standpoint the piece works well-- especially the second version.

Now if you'd kindly quit trying to attack people for disputing your opinion, and try and discuss it civilly, maybe we can get things back on track. But if I see another post by you in this thread or anywhere else that is attacking someone for "defending my opinion", I'll be giving you a warning for flamebaiting, because that's exactly what it is. You're straying from the topic to attack them for defending someone's opinion that they agree with, and trying to get a reaction out of them.

Understood? Discuss the issue, don't try to go out of your way to piss people off, because you WILL be warned for it if you do it again. And before you even TRY it: no, I am not saying this because you're disagreeing with me or anyone else. I'm not threatening you because we have different opinions, and I'm not trying to get you to stop giving negative feedback. I'm letting you know that if you stray off-topic and insult someone in here again, you will be warned. If you dispute the warning, or continue to insult people in here, you will be warned again.

Oh, and as an aside? My comment about me being taught? No, that wasn't the problem at all. I have my own style, I have my own viewpoint, but I was using that as an example of how certain things are looked at in the industry. No, it's not a universal view, but it's one of the dominant ones. Maybe if you could learn how to read into things a little more, instead of reading something and latching onto one fucking sentence out of a paragraph to pick apart, you would have understood that.

Edited by The Mask of Norro