Official NFL 2007 Thread

ACCBiggz

We are nearing the draft, and to mark the 07 season we shall start with the only announced games until April... Figured with the draft coming up very shortly it's best to seperate last season from this season.

2007 Kickoff Weekend and Thanksgiving national television games

Sept. 6 - Thu. - Saints at Colts (NBC) 8:30 p.m.

Sept. 9 - Sun. - Bears at Chargers (FOX, 4:15pm) & Giants at Cowboys (NBC, 8:15pm)

Sept. 10 - Mon. - Ravens at Bengals (ESPN, 7pm) & Cardinals at 49ers (ESPN, 10:15pm)

THANKSGIVING

Nov. 22 - Thu. - Packers at Lions (FOX 12:30pm), Jets at Cowboys (CBS, 4:15pm), & Colts at Falcons (NFL Network, 8:15pm)

I hope the Chargers wear the throwbacks, but I'm sure they won't.

Also, if the Bears do trade Briggs and the 31st pick for the 6th, I see them either getting Johnson or Thomas, otherwise Angelo will trade down like he usually does.

The latest mock I've seen has it going Russell, Quinn, Peterson, Johnson, and Thomas. That would leave Chicago not being able to get either guy they are probably wanting most, but Gruden is apparently in love with Amobi Okoye and that is a much more pressing need for them then WR, at least in my opinion. And if the Bucs don't get him, I see the Bears being able to grab Johnson.

I agree that the Bucs need to draft defense, and with Gruden loving Amobi Okoye he's certainly a possible choice there (he's only 19 years old), but it would be hard to pass up a player as talented as Calvin Johnson.

I was hoping that we would sign Grant and then maybe just swap picks with The Saints.

Though if we take Johnson, they have to draft defense the rest of the draft. That and I wouldn't mind us trading away Rice as I think he's past his prime. He's been more and more hurt each passing season.

Is he worth a 1st rounder? Maybe a late one, wouldn't mind dealing him to the Colts or the Bears or the Patriots for that matter.

One thing is for sure, with the signing of June, there is going to be a huge amount of competition at the linebacker spot. With Neece, Rudd, June, Brooks, Chuckwanh and a few others. I'm also hoping that we land Brandon Meriweather from the Canes as he is an awesome fucking safety.

One thing is for sure, with the signing of June, there is going to be a huge amount of competition at the linebacker spot. With Neece, Rudd, June, Brooks, Chuckwanh and a few others. I'm also hoping that we land Brandon Meriweather from the Canes as he is an awesome fucking safety.

And he's an intimidator to boot...score on him and he'll come after you swinging his helmet. :shifty:

Drew Rosenhaus compliments the Bears on Sportscenter about how they could have let Briggs go like Thomas, but instead they franchised him and can trade him to move up to the top 6 picks, unheard of from a Superbowl contender the previous season.

Problem?

#1 and #5 are the only picks we really would need/want in the top 10.... outside of the Maybe #11, #15 in the 11-20 range.

(JaMarcus, Johnson, Willis, Olsen)

I think that Johnson may fall. The Bucs, who have Clayton and Galloway, may steer away from Johnson and go for that guy Gruden loves. After Mike Williams (sure, he took a year off, but he dominated when he played in college and was a physical freak at the combine) a few years ago, taking a WR this early when it's not a desperate need isn't something that is a popular decision if it doesn't work out right away. Gruden (and I'm guessing the GM) probably don't have a lot of job security and the defense is aging.

I hope the Chargers wear the throwbacks, but I'm sure they won't.

Also, if the Bears do trade Briggs and the 31st pick for the 6th, I see them either getting Johnson or Thomas, otherwise Angelo will trade down like he usually does.

The latest mock I've seen has it going Russell, Quinn, Peterson, Johnson, and Thomas. That would leave Chicago not being able to get either guy they are probably wanting most, but Gruden is apparently in love with Amobi Okoye and that is a much more pressing need for them then WR, at least in my opinion. And if the Bucs don't get him, I see the Bears being able to grab Johnson.

I don't see how it makes sense to trade Briggs for draft picks - it doesn't add up value-wise. Chicago's not that deep at Linebacker in all honesty. sure you can draft a replacement, but there's no guarantee that they'll be good or that they'll even be ready to start this season. As much as I think he's acted like a complete dick, I'd rather see him playing in Chicago than anywhere else. also, Drew Rosenhaus needs to be banned from being an agent, he creates too many problem children. The tactics used in this Briggs mess have been atrocious (showing up at the owners' meeting to shop Briggs around, doing the deal through the media etc.).

Fortunately, Jerry Angelo's initial reaction to the offer has reportedly been to say no, although he's not officially said anything.

Rosenhuas is a great players agent though. However trading Briggs for a first rounder would make TONS of sense, it's just that whole, let me give up my #31 too thing that is a snag, and the fact that they want it for a #6 pick we won't need at that time. As I said all along, if I were a team wanting a LB, I'd trade my first rounder for Briggs, because you won't find a better pick-up at that time. Plus, as he wants out of Chicago they would get something back from it... as opposed to not signing him this off-season, letting him leave next off-season, or whatever, at least if you trade him for a pick (without giving up another), you are getting another player in return.

Frank Gore was going to be a first round guy, but injuries at college fucked him up big time. He beat Willis McGahee for the staring RB slot then got injured I believe. McGahee went in the first round. I told people that the guy was going to be a star, he just needed to get healthy. I'm happy that I was proven right and I'm glad he's staying with the 49'ers, a young team on the rise. They could be pretty decent this year.