Official NFL 2007 Thread

ACCBiggz

I agree I thought Williams would be good, but this isn't a significant upgrade just yet.

Wow another great move by the cowboys, Jerry Jones has decided its much better to sit out the second round then to sit out the third.

I mean jeez why not, we've been hitting home runs with our late round draft picks for the last few years.

Edit:

Oh snap! We moved up 17 spots in the sixth round! Now we'll be able to get a guy who'll actually make the practice squad!

I like what the Cowboys are doing this year and how they are setting themselves up.

Non-Draft: I still think Tank Johnson getting a second suspension is BS. He was suspended once last year and now probably going to get it again even though he already "served his time".

They suspended him AGAIN? Bullshit. The guy's been through enough, they suspended him, he's serving Jail time, leave him alone. If he fucks up again, by all means suspend his ass, but theres other things to worry about. I don't think they should have suspended anyone, just put the rule out there and said next time you fuck up, you're getting suspended.

I am hoping that the Browns jump in and try and get Bush eventually if he is sitting around for a while. I already am happy with the draft so far getting 3 guys that were or should have been 1st round picks and all postions of need as well. For the rest of the draft for the Browns I hope that they adress the DL with a couple of picks and then just take the BPA the rest of the way.

I realize that the Quinn trade could potentially be a steep price depending on where the Browns finish next year but the Browns would just be drafting a QB next year anyways so esentially they are taking that QB now and giving a year to learn the system. Along with that outside of Brohm and possibly Henne there really isnt a guys that I would clearly want ahead of Quinn so in the end I think the trade works out.

I'm sitting here, waiting for my Pats to pick when what do I see...they traded the pick, for the second time in the row. STOP TRADING YOUR FUCKING PICKS, DRAFT A FUCKING PLAYER YOU CUNTS!*

*I take this all back if they actually traded for something good, but I doubt it.

Raiders get a potential steal with Mario Henderson. If they give him some time to devolop and he plays to his full potential he is a beast.

How long ago did I say Chicago should take Wolfe in the third round to replace Jones? Awhile back, glad they listened.

Edited by ACCBiggz

I know some of you quit watching after the first and second round, so here's the highlights from my perspective.

3rd Round Selections of Note include:

KC Chiefs- Tank Tyler, DE from NC State. The strongest guy in the draft, benched 225 42 times at the combine.

Arizona got Buster Davis, linebacker from Florida State

Carolina picked up Charles Johnson, DE from Georgia. Some had projected him as high as late first round, most had him somewhere in the second.

Denver got Ryan Harris, OT from Notre Dame. INteresting thing about him...if anyone remembers, there was a show on MTV. It wasn't Made, it was one of those True Life shows and a few years back, they did one on a high school athlete, an offensive tackle who was trying to gain weight. At the end, he gets a scholarship from Notre Dame. That was actually Ryan Harris.

Buffalo drafted Trent Edwards, QB from Stanford who was projected early-mid 2nd round.

Dolphins grabbed Lorenzo Booker, running back from Florida State

Bears got RB Garett Wolfe, who'll be trying to duplicate Michael Turner. Provides a nice change of pace to Benson.

Daymeion Hughes, CB, from Cal went to the Colts. Some had him projected as a possible first rounder, then he dropped to second. Good steal for the Colts.

The Saints have been in talks with some of the other QB's like Trent Edwards. So apprently they are looking for a backup somewhere in the draft and I said that would be a great fit for Troy. Could watch him go early tomorrow.

That was a huge reach, with guys like Pittman and Bush on the board. Wolfe is a 3rd down back at best
Edited by ACCBiggz

I'm shocked Wolfe even got picked. I mean, there have been midgets drafted before, but he's a skinny one too.

As for the Steelers draft...not sure how I feel about the pick of Matt "Lost In" Spaeth, but I understand why the did it.

Hopefully we can get a RB tomorrow, along with a WR, a punter and some OLine depth.

At some point, on field production does take precadence over factors like size and how they did at the combine. Garrett Wolfe is 4th all time in yards per game for a career. Herschel Walker and OJ Simpson are two of the three ahead of him.

That said, he's not applying to be a full time back, though I don't rule out the option either. He's gonna contribute on special teams, he's going to come in and change the pace, and he'll be a third down back. He has good hands out of the back field and a whole lotta speed. To speculate that he shouldn't have even been drafted? I'd say that's the dumbest comment of the day, even moreso than the Crouch discussion. For shame.

I'm disappointed in the lack of "NOOOOOOOOOOOO" for the 4th receiver in 5 first-round Lion picks. For shame, guys. For shame.

Why? This one is the best player in the whole draft, "NOOOOOOOOOOOO"ing him would just be stupid.

Calvin Johnson was the most talented player bar none in the draft. They had to take him #2 or trade down. They couldn't get a deal for value at #2 so they took Johnson. You DO NOT take a need in the top 5 with those type of caliber players available. The Lions were not keen on Brady Quinn, Adrian Peterson has shown some injury problems and they have a suitable running back, and Joe Thomas might have been the only guy that would make sense, but you do not pass on Calvin Johnson. That would have been a calamity. If you don't understand that Johnson was the most talented player in this draft, and in this offense ran by Mike Martz he may have the biggest impact of any rookie. He's a special player. There is a reason every known GM, Analysist, Expert, etc. had Johnson #1 overall on their board (not to be picked, but talent wise) and why they give the Lions two thumbs up on that pick.

That's the exact reason the Lions are where they are. Can't you see that?

Every single year they have a top 10 pick. Instead of drafting to fix the team's needs, they go "OMG TEH TALENTZ" and draft the "best" player available. What does this do? Well, it "adds depth" (translated: wastes roster space) to one position, but doesn't fix the NEEDS. So the team still sucks, and as a result the team gets another top 10 pick the next year. The team wastes it on another "talented" "best" player available, and the cycle repeats. At some point you have to combine "Drafting a receiver in the top 10 again" with "Having a bad season due to weak defense, questionable signal-caller capabilities and a soft offensive line" and NOT having it equal "Draft more receivers."

I don't see how Oakland is fine for taking a need over Calvin Johnson, but it is apparently blasphemous for the Lions to take Thomas and fill the O-Line need.

It's different. 2003. They needed a WR, Charles Rogers was there up the board. Porbably could have traded down, but it wasn't a horrible pick.

Cincinnati - Carson Palmer

Detroit - Charles Rogers

Houston - Andre Johnson

N.Y. Jets - Dewayne Robertson

Dallas - Terence Newman

New Orleans - Johnathan Sullivan

Jacksonville - Byron Leftwich

Carolina - Jordan Gross

Minnesota - Kevin Williams

Baltimore - Terrell Suggs

There's that top 10. I tihnk we can say Rogers wasn't a horrible pick at the time. Trading down in hindsight may have been the better bet.

2004, Here are the top 15 (because they were 7th)...

San Diego - Eli Manning

Oakland - Robert Gallery

Arizona - Larry Fitzgerald

N.Y. Giants - Philip Rivers

Washington - Sean Taylor

Cleveland - Kellen Winslow

Detroit - Roy Williams

Atlanta - DeAngelo Hall

Jacksonville - Reggie Williams

Houston - Dunta Robinson

Pittsburgh - Ben Roethlisberger

N.Y. Jets - Jonathan Vilma

Buffalo - Lee Evans

Chicago - Tommie Harris

Tampa Bay - Michael Clayton

I think this worked out for them and again, wasn't horrible. You have to remember the time period and what they wanted to do.

2005, Here is where it started to go awry...

San Francisco - Alex Smith

Miami - Ronnie Brown

Cleveland - Braylon Edwards

Chicago - Cedric Benson

Tampa Bay - Carnell Williams

Tennessee - Adam Jones

Minnesota - Troy Williamson

Arizona - Antrel Rolle

Washington - Carlos Rogers

Detroit - Mike Williams

Dallas - DeMarcus Ware

San Diego - Shawne Merriman

New Orleans - Jammal Brown

Carolina - Thomas Davis

Kansas City - Derrick Johnson

Houston - Travis Johnson

Cincinnati - David Pollack

Minnesota - Erasmus James

St. Louis - Alex Barron

Dallas - Marcus Spears

They could have traded or went defense. They took Williams for no real reason. By this time they had Rogers coming back from injury (if memory serves) and Williams. They were on the brink of the Harrington saga. They screwed this whole draft here up.

2006:

Houston - Mario Williams

New Orleans - Reggie Bush

Tennessee - Vince Young

N.Y. Jets - D'Brickashaw Ferguson

Green Bay - A.J. Hawk

San Francisco - Vernon Davis

Oakland - Michael Huff

Buffalo - Donte Whitner

Detroit - Ernie Sims

Arizona - Matt Leinart

Denver - Jay Cutler

Baltimore - Haloti Ngata

Cleveland - Kamerion Wimbley

Philadelphia - Brodrick Bunkley

St. Louis - Tye Hill

Ernie Sims was a stretch here but at least they tried for defense.. the problem? They let Leinart fall past them when it was evident they needed a QB. If they seriously said no to Leinart smarter choice would have been to trade down as they could have gotten more for that pick to address needs.

This year with Calvin. He's simply the best reciever to come out in a LONG, LONG time. And it would have been almost like passing on Bush like Houston did last year. If you don't do it with the improvements they have made then you F up by reaching for someone who isn't worthy of the #2 pick. I think a lot of people, myself included, thought they'd make a trade with Tampa, Atlanta, or someone and somehow end up with Gaines Adams a more picks. The trades never added up to what they needed for the value of Johnson so they had to take him. You can't just say, "Another WR? They blew it!" You have to look at it based on this year alone like this is the first year of the draft. Look at what they have done with coaching changes, persnal changes, and the trades they made. Now I'm with you with not liking Stanton, I mentioned that earlier... but as a team you look at it like, do I want to spend #2 money on Quinn who they were not high on to begin with, or do we get one of those QB's in the second for a cheaper price who we think is just as good? They went with the smart choice, just not the right QB. Had Oakland pulled a trade with Detroit earlier for Cade, they might have taken Calvin and Russell would have been there, but I still doubt it. That is probably the only other option they had. Trade, Russell, or Johnson, and when you can't get a trade for value in that pick you take the most talented player in the draft... not at the time.. in the draft. If they had the #10 pick or something, then I agree you address a need position instead of taking the best player on the board.

So, I'm late as usual, but I gotta get my Jags in here. Outstanding pick and value to get Reggie Nelson at 21. He's an in-state freak at safety and offers an instant fix to FS after losing Deon Grant. The rest of the draft kinda befuddles me. They had Brady Quinn staring them in the face multiple times and they have to get a QB this year, imo. This city has given up on Lefty and when nobody comes to the stadium as it is, that spells franchise disaster. I offer a local news report that said nearly 1/2 the season ticket holders cancelled the day after Byron was re-instated as the starter earlier this year. Ouch! He's regressing and can't stay healthy. They (coaches) don't seem sold on Garrard although personally I love him and the city loves him. He has mobility and looked pretty good when the WRs were actually playing for him. The "lightning in a bottle" Quinn Gray is just the #3 and not getting a chance to even compete for the job. Edwards is a guy who had fallen pretty far and in the 3rd round when we didn't have glaring needs, you had to make the move. So now you pass on Quinn and Edwards in the same draft. We'll have to see if that comes back to bite us in the ass.

That said, I liked the pick of Durant. He's a Del Rio guy at LB and given our drafts lately, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I did NOT like the pick of another big WR. We needed a speedy, deep threat WR. I don't see that in the guy from UCF, Mike Walker. The pros are we have stockpiled a ton of picks this draft and should add some nice players this year. I just wish they would acknowledge the QB issues and let them all compete. I love the team outside of that position. The defense is scary good and the RB core is outstanding. As for day 2, I'm licking my lips with Troy Smith sitting there. I think he's going to be an outstanding QB in this league and I can't understand the hate. He's not that freaking short. He has a good arm and he's mobile which is the name of the game in the NFL at QB. I like the fit and think it certainly will cover our ass when Lefty falls on HIS yet again! I also don't see many other glaring needs, so take a chance and get the Heisman Trophy winner in the 4th freaking round. Pretty safe gamble, imo. He's NOT gonna be Eric Crouch. I think he'll be a very succesful starting QB in this league in a few years.