Top 5 Fighting Games

FireDoughnut

Be... Mortal Kombat Armageddon? It completely killed the series' trademark fatalities. MK2 is the best 2D, MKD is the best 3D.

Street Fighters are a tough call, Third Strike is awesome. But Capcom's best 2D fighter is Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

And Tekken 3 was definitely the best.

And do Brits have a different definition of fighting game? Streets of Rage is a side-scrolling beat 'em up. Tekken/VF/MK... those are fighting games.

And Kaney, if you need characters, go with Killer Instinct.

AHEM.

Steet Fighter 2 Turbo

Mortal Kombat 2

Tekken 3

That is all.

Maybe in Soviet Russia, you listed three games that aren't even the best of their series. Third Strike/Armageddon/T4 > your shitty choices.

They're classics, and as such, had the greatest impact on the series.

I've always considered "fighting game" and "beat 'em up" to be synonymous, encompassing both side-scrolling beat 'em ups like Streets Of Rage and games like Tekken or Street Fighter.

I liked Mortal Kombat Armageddon, but the Fatality system is it's major flaw, that idea sucked. The Konquest mode or whatever it was called was far better than it could have got away with, Motor Kombat was a laugh, the Kreate mode was a bit shit, but a nice addition...it's a good game, but the lack of ridiculous trademark Fatalities lets it down on the Mortal Kombat front, because that's all we really care about there. I'd give the nod to MK Trilogy.

I'd go with Virtua Fighter, although you might want to throw Soul Edge/Calibur in there for completeness even though that makes six.

And to me a beat 'em up is Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, etc. I'd call Streets Of Rage a side-scrolling beat 'em up. A fighting game is harder to define, although I'd probably use it interchangably with beat 'em up.