Songs in clear English

Guest TheBlueyComplex

Guest TheBlueyComplex

For my return to teaching, I am looking for songs which are sung in pretty clear English. It'll be for ages 6-11, so obviously it needs to have no swearing, but I'd like to find some fun songs I can play the kids. Things like The Beatles, but maybe something a bit more..modern.

billie.jpg

Why you gotta play that song so loud

Because we want to! Because we want to!

Why you always run around in crowds

Why do you have to dance all night

Why do you always say what's on your mind

A couple of Beatles songs that might be good:

*When I am Sixty Four

*Yellow Submarine

Some other tunes:

*Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash (bonus points for using Social Distortion's version)

*Alison by Elvis Costello

*Santeria by Sublime

*Siberian Kiss by Glassjaw :shifty:

He teaches English abroad, so by clear English I am assuming he means songs that would be easy for someone who has a limited vocabulary to understand.

Or maybe how a lot of lyrics in songs are hard to understand in the first place anyway. The Beatles' lyrics are very clear without having to refer somewhere for the written lyrics.

Yeah to Britpop. Common People by Pulp would be excellence. The songs from that era generally involved grammatically sound sentence structures afterall.

I took her to the supermarket. I don't know why but I had to start it somewhere. So it started there.

I said "pretend you've got no money". She just laughed and said "huh, you're so funny" I said "Yeah, I don't see anyone else smiling here. Are you sure...." etc etc.