Spider-Man 3 Discussion Thread

zero

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the movie on Thursday. After watching that I really, really, want a Venom movie. Too little Venom for my tastes. Bruce Campbell and J. Jonah were hilarious, as was Parker's strut on the street. That emo hairstyle just didn't cut it for me though.

Hmm, but didn't the gun go off as he was paying more attention to his partner in crime and not Ben. If he was 100% focus on Ben the gun might of not gone off.
Edited by Pepsi

Hmm, but didn't the gun go off as he was paying more attention to his partner in crime and not Ben. If he was 100% focus on Ben the gun might of not gone off.

I didn't understand The Sandman plot. Ok so one scene he's like "yeah let's kill Spidey!" but then after he gets blown up (which was the most anti-climatic way for The Sandman to go out) he appears after his partner in crime has been killed and says "I didn't want this to happen" and now all is forgiven at the end? What? :blink:

I didn't understand The Sandman plot. Ok so one scene he's like "yeah let's kill Spidey!" but then after he gets blown up (which was the most anti-climatic way for The Sandman to go out) he appears after his partner in crime has been killed and says "I didn't want this to happen" and now all is forgiven at the end? What? :blink:

Yeah, the game makes more sense regarding that specific plotline. In the game, Venom blackmails Sandman into helping him, threatening Sandman's daughter. In fact, when he first offers to team up with Sandman to kill Spidey, Sandman says "I never said anything about killing him, I just want him out of the way for a while", which is when Brock shows Penny all webbed up and forces Sandy to join him. That made more sense, IMO.

The only problem is, you have to play that horrible game.

But Venom tricking Sandman would have made much more sense. Either way, I'm sure the gripes are being heard and I hope Sony considers it when they start throwing around ridiculous amounts of money when it comes to Spidey 4.

Took the misses and her siblings to see it yesterday, they seemed to enjoy it but I couldn't help feel a little disappointed by it all.

I just didn't get into the story as much as the previous films and I absolutely hated the ending.

Blades of Glory on the other hand...

what may be the true test of the box office power of Spider-Man 3 – i.e. its second weekend in release – as expected the film once again is poised to be the #1 film in the North America, but has experienced a very significant drop-off in week two. …

According to the box office tracking website Box Office Guru, the film made an estimated $17 million on Friday and is on pace for approximately $54 to $58 million for the weekend.

The 72% drop from its opening Friday to second Friday gross is one of the largest ever for a major studio tentpole release, but not unprecedented. Last summer’s X-Men: The Last Stand dropped 78% of its gross Friday to Friday. Because so much of Spider-Man 3’s opening was Thursday midnight showings and hardcore fans lining up to see it on its first day, the overall three-day weekend drop is expected to soften, but still be in the very high low-60% range.

This doesn’t come as much of a surprise; the film has already shown signs of early sales drop-off, perhaps because of the less-than-stellar critical response and word-of-mouth.

Though breaking the all-time three-day box office record with an official $151.1 million in its opening frame, it’s first full week (seven day) total of $182.1 million ranks just fourth, behind Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest with $196 million last summer, Spider-Man 2’s $192.1 million in 2004, and Star Wars Episode III’s $191.4 million in 2005.

While those second chapters in the Pirates and Spider-Man franchises both opened in July when school is out and weekday grosses are traditionally stronger, both films also faced a more competitive marketplace.

The difference may best be illustrated by comparison to the first Spider-Man chapter that also opened on the first weekend of May (of 2002). Spider-Man 3’s first weekend gross was 32% higher than its predecessor, but its midweek gross was actually 16% less, even with the higher average ticket prices five years of inflation brings.

However, Spider-Man 3 is still also performing strongly globally and is expected to webswing past the $500 million mark worldwide on Friday and then the $600 million mark by Sunday.

Courtesy of Newsarama

But the whole movie seem too jam packed as if Sam Raimi just through all he had into one movie. Some stories were started and neveer ended (what the heck happened to Sandmans duaghter in the end!?)

Not quite the drop everyone was predicting, but still a good sized drop off. Bigger news to me is the horrid performance thus far of 28 Weeks Later.

After soaring to new heights in its first few days, gravity set in for Spider-Man 3, halting its record-breaking pace. The superhero sequel plunged 60 percent, in part because intense demand was satiated last weekend with the widest release of all time—over 10,000 screens at 4,252 locations.

Spider-Man 3 snared an estimated $60 million, the fourth-highest grossing second weekend ever after Shrek 2's $72.2 million, the first Spider-Man's $71.4 million and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest's $62.3 million. The latter two came off of record-breaking openings like Spider-Man 3 yet fell 38 percent and 54 percent, respectively.

This past week, it became evident a precipitous fall was in store for Spider-Man 3 as it earned less on its initial weekdays than the original Spider-Man. The percentage drop, though, was smaller than X-Men: The Last Stand and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban among third entries for huge franchises released in summer.

In ten days, Spider-Man 3 has accumulated a massive $242.1 million, which ranks behind only the Pirates sequel's $258.4 million among the largest ten-day tallies. The first Spider-Man had $223 million at the same point—which would equal around $255 million adjusted for ticket price inflation—while Spider-Man 2 was at $225.1 million.

Overseas, Spider-Man 3 captured an estimated $85.4 million, bringing its worldwide weekend to $145.4 million (including domestic), down 62 percent. The worldwide total is now $621.7 million, already ranking 30th on the all-time chart. The first two Spider-Man movies wound up in the $800 million range by the end of their runs.

With no major new releases, overall business collapsed along with Spider-Man 3. The weekend tallied an estimated $106 million, which was still seven percent higher than the same frame last year when Mission: Impossible III and Poseidon led.

Best among a weak batch of openers, 28 Weeks Later grabbed an estimated $10 million at 2,303 sites, which was on par with George A. Romero's Land of the Dead from two summers ago among zombie movies. It was not as successful as its predecessor 28 Days Later, which opened to $10.1 million at 1,260 venues four years ago and held up extraordinarily well by zombie standards, closing with $45.1 million.

Georgia Rule mustered a scant $5.9 million at 2,523 theaters. Commercials for the grandmother-mother-daughter drama lacked punch and were awkwardly saddled with the promotion of the demographically similar Because I Said So's DVD release—both have distributor Universal Pictures in common. Georgia Rule co-star Lindsay Lohan had a comparable failure on this same weekend last year with the younger-skewing Just My Luck.

Comedies Delta Farce and The Ex were negligible as expected, managing an estimated $3.5 million and $1.4 million respectively.

Among wide holdovers, Disturbia again had the smallest drop, down 18 percent to an estimated $4.8 million. The $20 million thriller has collected $66.3 million in 31 days.

credit boxofficemojo.com

Not quite the drop everyone was predicting, but still a good sized drop off. Bigger news to me is the horrid performance thus far of 28 Weeks Later.

Apparently, it's just not a good time for R-Rated Horror. Look no further than the abysmal performance of Grindhouse for that. Plus, it still had to compete with Spider-Man, which despite the big drop-off, it still made almost double what the other nine movies in the top ten made, combined.

Apparently, it's just not a good time for R-Rated Horror. Look no further than the abysmal performance of Grindhouse for that. Plus, it still had to compete with Spider-Man, which despite the big drop-off, it still made almost double what the other nine movies in the top ten made, combined.

Halloween is opening on August 31, Summer blockbuster season will be over, so competition will be down. Plus, it only has a $20 million budget, so it's pretty much guaranteed to make a profit. Even if it tanks in theaters (which I don't see how it will), it'll do fine on DVD. I don't think there's much to worry about with Halloween.

Edited by Zero

I'm more worried about companies pulling out of horror movies, or forcing their ratings down in hopes of increasing profits.

Halloween should do fine on its' own. They'll more than recoup the budget at the theatre... with the nostalgia of the name, plus the mainstream attention that having Rob Zombie attached will bring.

I'm more worried about companies pulling out of horror movies, or forcing their ratings down in hopes of increasing profits.

Well that's already happening. Alien vs. Predator was really the big kickstart for that. The new Die Hard is rumored to be PG-13 and R-Rated horror movies are becoming more and more rare. On the bright side though, there's the Saw franchise, which keeps hope alive.

Edited by Zero

Well that's already happening. Alien vs. Predator was really the big kickstart for that. The new Die Hard is rumored to be PG-13 and R-Rated horror movies are becoming more and more rare. On the bright side though, there's the Saw franchise, which keeps hope alive.

AVP still took in almost $175 million. They're likely to do an R Rating though due to the fan backlash, which is probably why they haven't officially released a rating for Live Free or Die Hard because people shit a brick when they heard the PG13 rumors. So it could go either way, but even with these two incidents, if a studio can get a movie down to a PG13 rating, they usually do. They never seem to learn how much it pisses fans off.