Icky Thump

NobBe Nobbs

It is. I can't offer any more discussion on this because there is only the one track thus far, but it is awesome. Meg should sing more.

So I take it her singing is more "In the Cold, Cold Night" than that horrifingly bad song from Get Behind Me Satan?

Guest mAXi

"YAHEE ICKY THUMP, WHODATHUNK?, SITTIN' DRUNK ON'A WAGON TA MEXICOOO

HERA HAIR WHAT A CHUMP, AND MY HEAD GOT A BUMP WHEN I HIT IT ON THE RADIO"

Yeah, love it.

It is. I can't offer any more discussion on this because there is only the one track thus far, but it is awesome. Meg should sing more.

So I take it her singing is more "In the Cold, Cold Night" than that horrifingly bad song from Get Behind Me Satan?

I have no idea because she doesn't sing on Icky Thump. I just threw that in as an aside, because it's true. And which one was it on Satan? I may have to download it.

Oh. I just Wiki'd it; it's "Passive Manipulation." Really really REALLY bad, but "In the Cold, Cold Night" on the other hand is fantastic.

"White Americans, what, nothing better to do?

Why don't you kick yourself out, you're an immigrant too?"

Awesome song. Probably better than anything off Get Behind Me Satan, and the best White Stripes song since Seven Nation Army. 2007 in music just keeps getting better.

• 3 weeks later...

Bumptime.

Icky Thump Video (First Article)

I must say, that's one of the best videos I can remember seeing. Stylistically great, and the performance bits are lovely - Meg looks better than ever, and Jack just reclining, playing a (what sounds to me like (but probably isn't)) hard part on the guitar, is great. Well worth a watch, and now I want the album. NOW.

The song doesn't really "flow" to me, as it sounds like they just put a bunch of riffs together that didn't fit with any other song they were doing.

That being said, all of those riffs kick major ass and I like the song.

I'm glad it's not just me who got that vibe from it. It's a good song, but I don't even know if it would crack my top five as far as White Stripes singles go. Still, I'm very interested in the new album, far more than I was for the last, so it's done its job well enough.

• 4 weeks later...

Am I the only one that finds the trumpets in "Conquest" rather uneventful. It might have a lot to do with the fact that I have 'heavy' brass musical connection, so know what a GOOD trumpet player/trumpet solo sounds like. But everyone creams over it, and it's like...nothing, basically. It's a good cover though, I give it that.

The album is solid. But not amazing. Now the bagpipe stuff is great. Seriously.

Booo. Outside of the title track they're my favourite 2 songs.

And I listen to a hell of a lot of shit with trumpets in it; indie/ska/'electro'/jazz/bebop etc.

Flea's trumpet stuff is like 100 times better than this...if purely for the fact he can high note scream like a motherfucker. And I respect that in anyone.

I just realised these posts made me come across like a mega arsehole. I in no way mean to mock his ability. It's good. But not, cum-worthy like I've heard people big it up as.

Edited by YI