Mafia: The Basics

Okay, so here's the idea. Mafia as it stands today is just people voting, right? However, Mafia was originally a party game, where people would be accused, the accusation would be seconded, and the accused would get to defend himself/herself. There were no special roles, except for the Mafioso, the doctor, and the investigator(s).

Thing is, you can't vote on somebody, except at trial. And you only get one trial per day. So you've best be careful.

Me? I'm just the moderator.

Before you sign up, here are the rules.

1. This is a fifteen-person game.

2. We start at night. Everybody will receive a role. Either they're Town, Mafia, Doctor, or Inspector. Just to make the game easier, it's going to be three mafia, one doctor, and one inspector.

3. The night roles are as follows:

- Town: You're screwed. You can't do anything at night except catch some Z's...and potentially die.

- Mafia: You kill people. You are also allowed to PM each other and communicate via MSN or AIM or whateverthefuckyouwantouse to discuss your plans. Obviously, I'm going to tell you who the other Mafia members are.

- Doctor: You get to save one person a night. If you guess right about the Mafia target, a post referring to something of the sort will occur, meaning that nobody dies that night.

- Inspector: The obvious role. However, you only get a "Yes" or a "No". Yes for Mafia, No for other. The inspectors, unlike the Mafia, do not know who the other inspector is. They cannot communicate. They can share their findings whenever they wish, but they do not need to do so.

4. The next post by me will be in the day...and all the night roles will have been taken into account.

5. Now for the twist. There's no voting to lynch. Instead, there's accusations. It'll go something like this.

- A person accuses somebody, with a line like this: Accuse: Player X. You can accuse any number of people that you like.

- For the accusation to stand, somebody else has to second that accusation, like this: Accusation Seconded: Player X

- However, once an accusation is seconded, nobody else can be accused. We move immediately to what I like to call the trial phase.

6. In trial, you're not determining who to lynch. The person who has had the accusation put forward and seconded is the one on trial. You've already chosen a target. Now, you're just determining whether or not to lynch the person that has been accused. The accused gets to defend himself, and the town gets to state reasons why said person should die.

7. After each side is presented (limited to three posts by the accused and three posts by the town, please), the town votes on whether or not the person should be lynched, posting either Guilty or Not Guilty, with the former leading to an execution and the latter leading to the person being set free.

8. The day ends.

9. Lather, rinse, repeat, starting from 3.

Simple enough? Then let's do this.

Signup list:

1. k_mac

2. oldskool

3. SOB

4. Jam

5. C-Mil

6. - Matt -

7. The Canadian Destroyer

Edited by Nick Adams

I'm going to have to say that I'm not signing up for this. Traditional Mafia I was, in my opinion, as close to real life Mafia as you can get on a message board, and I took out the stuff that I didn't think would work. I mean, how can you have a 'race against time' on EWB? People can just claim that they weren't online or whatever. You can't get absolutely everybody to vote every lynch, either. And so on.

Also, this is gimmick infringement. <_<

Oh, one more thing. You don't find out whether or not you got people in the Mafia until the game is over.

lol no. Remove that sentence and this would be interesting, that just makes it way too easy for the Mafia to win.

Original post edited to reflect the criticism.

I'm going to have to say that I'm not signing up for this. Traditional Mafia I was, in my opinion, as close to real life Mafia as you can get on a message board, and I took out the stuff that I didn't think would work. I mean, how can you have a 'race against time' on EWB? People can just claim that they weren't online or whatever. You can't get absolutely everybody to vote every lynch, either. And so on.

Also, this is gimmick infringement. <_<

Okay, fine, no race against time. But consider this an experiment. I'm just seeing if how Mafia operates in real life could work here. It's going to make sudden redirects impossible, unless an accusation hasn't been seconded.

As for gimmick infringement...technically speaking, I'm taking the source code, if you will. The source code upon which everybody else uses. If I were doing something with an actual gimmick besides, "Here are the basic rules of Mafia, and they're what we're going to use," maybe it would be. *Shrug* You don't want to sign up, feel free not to. I'm just doing this because I think the added element of only being able to go after one person per in-game day could be interesting.

Edited by Nick Adams