The 2007 Asian Nations Cup Thread

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:( We were always going to be up against it, I thought. We were playing in conditions we've previously had one game in (and that was an uninspiring 3-0 win over Singapore) and against an Oman side we knew next to nothing about. As far as I'm aware, our coach and players hadn't seen them play - and only knew them by reputation.

Some interesting upset results since the Aussie game. Vietnam, the lowest ranked side in the entire tournament, scored a massive 2-0 upset win over UAE to basically achieve more than they've ever achieved in their entire history in one match. And in tonight's clash, a superb free kick from the naturalised Uruguayan saw Qatar escape with a 1-1 draw with Japan who are, in my eyes, the real favourites to win the tournament.

Cheers for that Misanthrope, I heard from some Leicester fans part of the problem was no-one daring to criticise Neill for his sub-par performances and Kisnorbo had been getting a lot of his stick also. I personally don't rate Luke Wilkshire either so that explains a lot. I hope he settles in eventually - even if he's dropped for the next game.

Out of the three actual central defenders (Kisnorbo, Beauchamp, Milligan) Kisnorbo looks the best by far. Piss Wilkshire off, stick Neill at left back and stick Beauchamp in the middle. Thwaite I have NFI.

Or, failing that, bring back Kevin Muscat! I'd like to have seen him against Oman >_>

A guy that seems to have been overlooked is Michael Spiranovic. He's young, but he's at a reputable club in Europe (Nurnberg in the Budesliga) and was good enough that the Croatian national team has already tried to poach him. I was surprised when he wasn't included in the squad or given a cap in one of the pre tournament friendlies.

As for tonight's games, Indonesia continued a run of upsets with a 2-1 win over Bahrain, who qualified behind only Australia in the qualification tournament. China's 'sleeping giant' may well have been awakened in their visit to Malaysia, with the Chinese side winning 5-1. Malaysia aren't exactly sterling opposition, though. In the pre tournament warm ups they lost 2-0 and 3-0 to A-League sides and also lost to a NSW Premier League (semi professional) side.

Tonight's results:

Iran 2 defeated Uzbekistan 1 after going behind early courtesy of an own goal

South Korea 1 drew with Saudi Arabia 1 after a contentious penalty late in the piece. A power outtage saw play stopped for twenty minutes with just five remaining, and the final five proved goalless (although the Saudis butchered two opportunities to steal the game).

Vietnam vs. Qatar tomorrow. Would be insane to see Vietnam get up or draw to book themselves a first ever knockout stage appearance.

More results. Discuss, mother-fuckers!

Thailand 2 defeated Oman 0 :o

Vietnam 1 drew with Qatar 1

That first result really damages Oman's hopes of progressing. After almost beating Australia on Sunday, they looked absolutely terrible in capitulating to the Thai side. Vietnam valiantly fought to be the first side to qualify for the knock-out stage, but Qatar's Uruguayan import was again the hero to keep them alive.

Australia play Iraq tonight in a near must win match, whilst Japan take on UAE.

I've never been embarassed to be a Socceroos' fan before tonight. A fucking atrocious display engineered by weak as piss, limp wristed pretenders sullying the Socceroo jersey with their feeble efforts. Completely, utterly pathetic.

Lucas Neill and Patrick Kisnorbo are farcical at the back. I've always had time for Neill because it appeared he was committed to the Socceroos' jersey, but the past two performances have shown he has been reading his own press far too much. Harry Kewell, Tim Cahill, and Mark Viduka are just about the only guys who showed a modicum of pride in the jersey.

I don't know if Graham Arnold's the man to blame - but the only genuine difference between the side that made the final sixteen and the side that lost 3-1 to Iraq last night has been coaching. Sure, Scott Chipperfield and Craig Moore are out - but the majority of that side were out there last night. Maybe Arnold just doesn't have the players' respect. It sure as shit seems like motivation is at an all time low when it should be at an all time high.