The 2007 Asian Nations Cup Thread

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neill's been poor as well, as have Wilkshire and Grella. But Kisnorbo's probably been the worst on show across the two games thus far. It's time someone like Beauchamp, Thwaite, or Milligan was given a chance at the jersey. I'd shift Neill back out to the right back position too.

Australia 4 defeat Thailand 0

Australia have set up a sudden death quarter final against Japan, who topped their group after a 4-1 win over Vietnam earlier in the night.

Our first half was really superb. We controlled the midfield and the shots on goal. Beauchamp's headed goal (his first for us put us up early. The second half was less promising, as Thailand got control of the midfield and had us under the pump for a while. Only Schwarzer and some desperation from Milligan (MOTM for mine) and Beauchamp (a close second) kept us in front. Cahill and Kewell's injection against a tired side had the desired effect, and the last three goals came relatively easily. The scoreline probably flattered us, to be honest, but it was the result we needed and it'll do confidence no end of good.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us bow out, really. On paper, we're a better team than Japan, but coaching makes a world of difference. Guus Hiddink (or the likely incoming Dick Advocaat) are far superior coaches to Arnie, and it's been shown in this tournament. It was alright to ignore losses to Uruguay and Denmark as friendlies with understrength lineups, but this tournament has seen us struggling against minnows in the true sense of the word.

Bring on Advocaat!

Bomb Kuwait. Atrocious refereeing made it virtually impossible for us to progress after Vinnie Grella was incorrectly red carded. And penalising Australia, one of the few nations in Asian football not to practise the 'tactic', was a further slap in the face after some of the displays we had to endure at group level.

That said, we put ourselves in the position by playing so abysmally in the group stages. We got the choke out of our system, and hopefully that means a relatively drama free World Cup qualification campaign for us next year.

Harry Kewell - hang your head in shame for that penalty attempt. Sure, Neill failed in his too, but at least it took a good save. That penalty was just atrocious.

Iraq through to the final :o

It's been tremendous seeing the national response to their side's success in the Asian Cup thus far. While firing guns into the air isn't the safest or sanest way to celebrate a victory, it's got to be having a unifying effect to see their national team toppling giants (in Asia) such as Australia and now Korea Republic.

Yeah, it was one of the game's of the tournament, save for a little Saudi gamesmanship once it got to 3-2. I don't think I've ever seen more stretchers used than at the Asian Nations Cup. It makes a World War look positively injury free.

Should be a cracking final. While I backed the Saudis to win the tournament, I've got a soft spot for war torn Iraq. It would be tremendous for national morale and the game in the country if they were able to win a first ever Asian Nations Cup.

Well...Iraq win the Asian Cup, against long odds. Whoever bet on them must be rubbing themselves with the cash right now.

Sadly, the suicide bombers and the idiotic gunfire 'celebrations' have killed over fifty people and wounded plenty more, and ruin what little hope I had for Iraq. Fucking idiots.