The 2007 Asian Nations Cup Thread

Sure, it's not on quite the same level as Euro 2008, but the Asian Nations Cup is fast approaching and it's a month to the day until Australia make their top level international debut into Asia with their clash againt Oman. The Australian squad was named today:

Goalkeepers: Mark Schwarzer, Brad Jones, Michael Petkovic.

Defenders: Lucas Neill, Brett Emerton, Michael Beauchamp, Michael Thwaite, Mark Milligan, Patrick Kisnorbo.

Midfielders: Mark Bresciano, Harry Kewell, Tim Cahill, Vince Grella, Mile Sterjovski, Luke Wilkshire, Jason Culina, Carl Valeri, Nick Carle, David Carney.

Forwards: Mark Viduka, John Aloisi, Archie Thompson, Brett Holman.

And I'm quite impressed. A good mix of experienced European campaigners and rising Australian talents like Carle, Milligan, and Carney. I think, if we're switched on, we should have little trouble in dominating our group. I'll be disappointed with anything less than a semi final berth, and on current international form, I'd be hoping we're able to win it.

Of the other nations, I'm more worried about Saudi Arabia than Japan or South Korea. Iran too.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skoko didn't want in and wants to commit to Wigan. Chipperfield's wife has gotten preggo and he wants to be with her. McDonald got left out so he could settle in at Celtic. Good squad, but our backs are missing a bit of depth.

Skoko didn't want in and wants to commit to Wigan. Chipperfield's wife has gotten preggo and he wants to be with her. McDonald got left out so he could settle in at Celtic. Good squad, but our backs are missing a bit of depth.

• 4 weeks later...

Tournament starts tonight! Australia looked a little lacklustre against a rapidly improving Singapore national team (who went down 2-1 to Saudi Arabia only a week before our game) but still came away with a 3-0 win. Oman tomorrow night could be tough with the heat conditions something we're not too familiar with - but Graham has spent a lot of time acclimatising the players, so hopefully they'll be better equipped this time around.

Football on almost every night until the final. God, it's good to be out of the OFC :lol:

Team I'd play:

GK: Mark Schwarzer

DR: Brett Emerton

DL: Lucas Neill

DC: Patrick Kisnorbo

DC: Michael Beauchamp

MR: Mark Bresciano

ML: Harry Kewell

MC: Tim Cahill

MC: Vincenzo Grella

FC: Mark Viduka

FC: John Aloisi

OR

GK: Mark Schwarzer

DR: Lucas Neill

DL: Michael Thwaite

DC: Patrick Kisnorbo

DC: Michael Beauchamp

MR: Brett Emerton

ML: Mark Bresciano

MC: Tim Cahill

MC: Vincenzo Grella

FC: Mark Viduka

FC: Harry Kewell

Gees we lack a lot in the back. An injury Neill or Kisnorbo and we're shot. Don't know much about our central defenders, so I could be off a bit there.

In the midfield, Grella should be a good foil to Cahill. Sterjovski will probably get a game or two starting on the left wing as well as he looked good there against Uruguay. If anyone else apart from Kewell, Viduka or Aloisi starts up front (ie. Thompson or Holman) we're in trouble =/

I'd ask for CWB's starting team, but I'd just be expecting a lot of Nick Carle >_>

It seems Australia is the only country in the Asian Nations Cup :shifty:

They shouldn't have any problems with the climate, they've been training in Singapore for the past two weeks. It'd be pretty disappointing if Australia doesn't win the Cup tbh.

I think Australia will win this time around considering the Japanese players are unfit and the coach himself keeps saying they have no chance, the Chinese have been very very poor in their warm up matches while South Korea have been ravaged by injuries...I am going for an Australia-Saudi Arabia final.

Australia are probably the best team in Asia when it comes to first team experience and quality, but it's in our depth that we struggle. Without the A-League in its infancy - nations like Japan, South Korea, and the like have a head start on us in terms of quality youth development. If we can avoid injuries to key guys like Grella, Neill, Kewell, and Viduka - we should win it and win it fairly comfortably, but the conditions will play against us if we're not careful.

I know I'm probably alone in it, but has anyone been watching Thailand vs. Iraq tonight? Very well played, free flowing game with some great scoring opportunities created by Iraq. Thailand took an early age through a fairly debateable penalty, and Iraq got an equaliser late in the half after some goalkeeping heroics from the Thailand keeper. Still 1 all at the moment, and Iraq looking the better.

Australia really got out of jail there. We were deadset atrocious, and while I can't say that Oman's disgraceful diving display didn't contribute, we were lucky to get away with a draw after that performance.

Several things were made clear to me tonight:

1). Playing one striker up front doesn't work for us. Viduka was nullified entirely.

2). We're not at all adjusted to the conditions

3). We've been believing our own hype

4). Tim Cahill is the only man I'd want on the pitch 1-0 down with seconds remaining. The man is a deadset freak when it comes to finding that desperately needed goal.

On the up side, we can only improve from tonight and of Oman, Iraq, and Thailand - Oman were probably our biggest threat. Hopefully we can recover, look at our formation, take Wilkshire out into a field and shoot him, and turn in a big performance on Friday.