Red Vs. Blue To End

Cactus Drags

Red vs. Blue, the cult hit, web-video series created from in-game Halo footage, concludes its genre-defining run as it airs its 100th and final episode Wednesday evening.

The comedy series, featuring two squads of hapless Halo heroes locked in an endless civil war prolonged mostly by their own ineptitude, took the emerging machinima medium -- movies made with real-time video-game footage -- mainstream.

"(The show) stands in a league of its own", says Philip DeBevoise, who runs the video site Machinima.com.

Machinima isn't just about in-jokes for people who've played the games. The games are an inexpensive, accessible way to film the action. Red vs. Blue embraced the limitations of the medium, using the expressionless, masked Halo soldiers as a vehicle for off-kilter comedy, told in a tight five-minute format. It's funny even if you've never heard of the game.

Having labored on the series for four years, Red vs. Blue creator Michael "Burnie" Burns, who remains the series' writer, editor, director and lead voice talent, wants to make sure fans aren't let down.

The 15-minute final episode will be "the biggest one we've ever done," says Burns, "but The Sopranos stole our ending, so we had to change it completely."

What series will that be that they finish on then, 4 or 5? I intentionally stopped downloading them after the end of series 3 because I intend to buy them on DVD instead (as I already have with everything upto that point).

Edited by stokeriño

This is very old news. Seriously, like over a month. Like three months ago.

I'm planning on getting the whole series on DVD when they do finish, hopefully it'll come with the PSAs and all the other cool stuff they've done with RvB.

Edited by The Kraig