Underground Hip-Hop

Yeah, so, I just found out about El-P, and I've totally dug on shit like Atmosphere and Necro for years now, but I'm looking to expand my horizons in terms of underground.

Basically, the underground I listen to right now is mostly Atmosphere, Jedi Mind Tricks, Necro, shit like that (and I know thats like, totally different shit, sue me). I'm digging El-P, even if I've only heard one song ('Flyentology'), so I'm basically looking for pretty much anything interesting.

I'm not a fan of hip-hop much. But check out "The Same Channel" by Fat Jon and Styrofoam. It's hip-hop meets electronica. Good album. Something 'different' I guess.

Edited by YI

Gotta check out some Tech N9ne if you haven't already. Not really that underground, but he's got some good shit nonetheless.

And while I'm here I've gotta pimp out my Kottonmouth Kings. If you don't listen to them you're gay. Check out KMK and Tech N9ne's "City 2 City", and "FTI2". Not straight up hip-hop I guess, but still... LISTEN!

Blue Scholars. They're really good. Their best songs are The Ave, Evening Chai, No Rest For The Weary, and Southside Revival. Listen to them, you'll like it. Sounds like some classic hip hop, only it's new.

Gotta check out some Tech N9ne if you haven't already. Not really that underground, but he's got some good shit nonetheless.

And while I'm here I've gotta pimp out my Kottonmouth Kings. If you don't listen to them you're gay. Check out KMK and Tech N9ne's "City 2 City", and "FTI2". Not straight up hip-hop I guess, but still... LISTEN!

Yeah, I know Tech N9ne, but don't like it that much. I might have to give it another chance, though.

And I used to HATE KMK, but, having given it a chance, its alright. I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to them, but they have some catchy stuff.

Yeah, I know Tech N9ne, but don't like it that much. I might have to give it another chance, though.

And I used to HATE KMK, but, having given it a chance, its alright. I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to them, but they have some catchy stuff.

I'm not sure if it's considered 'underground' but El-P for sure. Living Legends, Clipse (Underground?), GZA (again, underground? Certainly not mainstream), Compton's Most Wanted, DJ Spinna (crap name but fantastic music), LTJ Bukem and Maze.

Woot! This is my kind of topic. A lot of underground/alternative hip-hop is out there. If you'd like to discuss this further I'm more than willing to talk about this on AIM or MSN.

Anyway, here's a pretty brief list of what I'd consider "essentials". Some of these artists I wouldn't necessarily count as underground, but if you don't listen to them you should.

A Tribe Called Quest

Cyne

CunninLynguists

Aesop Rock

Hieroglyphics

The Roots

The Pharcyde

Nujabes

Immortal Technique

Brother Ali

MF DOOM

Madvillain

Busdriver

Take your pick.

Busdrivers a little too.........."out there" I think especially "Fear of a Black Tangent" hes good, but for a new head, I dont know.

Well it's not like I was just recommending to DMN. Sure he made the topic, but there's definitely some other posters who have an interest, and possibly more experience, in the underground than him. Hence me recommending some artists who, yeah definitely, are more "out there".

I don't know if I'd be considered a 'new head'. I mean, I've been listening to Atmosphere since the Lucy Ford LP, I dig Sage Francis, Necro, plus I know most of the names damshow listed, so I am kinda looking for some 'out there' stuff, its just been awhile since I've had an urge to look for new underground.