Hip hop just died this morning.

ROC

So I was checking out the internets again, and saw another fine example of hip-hop culture in the new video "A Bay Bay" from the simply named Hurricane Chris. And it's the funniest song I've ever heard. How do you not bust out laughing at a rapper yammering a chorus that consists mainly of saying "A Bay Bay" about 80 times? Actually, that isn't the best part of the video.

This is:

abaybay.jpg

abaybay2.jpg

Sorry, black people. You get this, "Party Like A Rock Star", "This Is Why I'm Hot", and a Bobby Lashley main event push on your crest all in the same year. Kind of funny that I pine for the halcyon days of 2006, when "Tell Me When To Go" and "Snap Yo Fingers" were the major songs.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The artistic side of hip hop has been dead for years.

Well, yeah, but even last year, the music was remotely catchy. I mean, "Tell Me When To Go" sounded like shit, but it was catchy as all hell.

I don't listen to this Hip Hop music you speak of. I listen to Old School Rap. :shifty:

Think of Curt Hennig and the West Texas Rednecks. *clearing throat*

I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I HATE RAP!!! :P

God bless Curt Hennig and Bobby Duncum Jr.

Think of Curt Hennig and the West Texas Rednecks. *clearing throat*

I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I HATE RAP!!! :P

God bless Curt Hennig and Bobby Duncum Jr.

Edited by Mr. Sebastian Grainger

Art almost always takes a back seat in the mainstream. Criticizing rap as being "inartistic" as if it's somehow the exception to the rule is silly. It's not like Hinder and James Blunt represent the apex of artistic expression either. Look at your less mainstream stuff: El P, Del Tha Funky Homosapien, MC Abdominal, Busdriver, Gangstarr, Consequence, M.I.A. Hell even in the mainstream: Kanye, Lupe, Lil Wayne, T.I., The Roots, Outkast, k-os (in Canada), Dizzee Rascal (in the UK), Nas, Common, Jay-Z, Eminem, D-12, Jadakiss, CRS, The Clipse and even A Tribe Called Quest, who I believe are working on another album. Those names are all off the top of my head and if called upon, I could probably think of countless others. And the other stuff... whatever. I mean, it may not read like Shakespearean poetry or anything but it's catchy, and that's really what it's made for. It's the mainstream; every genre has its inexplicable successes.