Electronic Entertainment Expo '07

Vilge Duin

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly think Sony had the best conference. Nintendo's sucked because it focused on brain and word games and wiifit which I would have no interest in if I were to buy their systems. Microsoft had mainly stuff I have already seen. Microsoft could have in my opinion stolen the show if they had focused a bit more on games coming out in 2008 or unknown games and if there was more 360 coverage. Instead microsoft opted to have a segment of playing rockband and a couple plays in madden with reggie bush. Plus I don't know what microsoft was thinking when they decided to put Gears of War on PC this early. Sony's was pretty good it showed what everyone wanted to see (MGS4 and Killzone 2), also announced the timed exclusive (I think) Haze and UT3. UT3 will also allow pc mods to be used on the ps3. Two things sony should have done was announce the home open beta and some kind of firmware update to fix the playstation store plus other features.

So my order of best to worst for the press conferences is: Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo.

Oh one last thing. What did everyone think about Assassin's Creed. I liked most of the combat and the chase but how the demonstration started I was very disappointed by the bumping into people and the floating guy glitch. Hopefully it is all fixed by release.

From Gamespot:

SANTA MONICA, Calif.--Earlier this week, Sony dropped the price on its PlayStation 3 60GB model from $599 to $499. Analysts responded favorably to the announcement, saying it would put pressure on Microsoft to drop the price of its Xbox 360 system, the priciest configuration of which currently costs $479. But while analysts might think the cut is enough to make the PS3 cost-competitive, one of Sony's biggest publishing partners appears underwhelmed.

Speaking with Reuters, Konami North American and European operations head Kazumi Kitaue expressed doubt. "I wonder if Sony can win back user support by the price cut of just $100," Kitaue said, adding, "I don't expect a substantial impact...With $500, you can buy a personal computer."

Kitaue no doubt would like a cheaper PS3 in order to spike sales of the machine and have a larger installed user base in place for Konami's highly anticipated PS3 exclusive Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. However, the executive said Konami might have to bring the series to non-Sony systems in order to make its development money back.

"Since Metal Gear Solid was born for the PlayStation, we would like to keep it a PlayStation game," Kitaue said. "But we might have to take some steps."

Well, at E3, Sony confirmed that MGS4 is exclusive for the PS3 however as I have mentioned before, I think that this is just a "timed exclusive."

and from Kotaku

This is certainly one of the strangest E3 appointment reminders we've received. Konami's media briefing begins at 5:45PM PST, and Konami has sent a cryptic poem, hinting at a major, unexpected announcement:

What better way

to end your day

at Konami's media briefing collecting ...

News for a major announcement

you were not expecting.

Edited by Riceman 4K

Well, at E3, Sony confirmed that MGS4 is exclusive for the PS3 however as I have mentioned before, I think that this is just a "timed exclusive."

and from Kotaku

This is certainly one of the strangest E3 appointment reminders we've received. Konami's media briefing begins at 5:45PM PST, and Konami has sent a cryptic poem, hinting at a major, unexpected announcement:

What better way

to end your day

at Konami's media briefing collecting ...

News for a major announcement

you were not expecting.

Let's hope for MGS4 on the 360 :)

Edited by CKN

Well I was excited for E3 this year and so far I'm a bit let down. Not much in the way of new developments but I'm hyped as hell for this Christmas when the release lists just look like a road map of where tons of my money is going to go. If I had to rank them it'd be Microsoft, Sony, then Nintendo.

First off was Microsoft, who I think held off on big announcements for their X07 show down the road. What they did was show us all what we'll be playing THIS year for certain including Mass Effect (FINALLY an official date), Assassin's Creed, GTA IV, etc, etc. A lot of quality there for sure. I'm also glad to see some people being swayed by what I consider superior software on the 360. Things like the new Viva Pinata, Mistwalker's RPGs, and Eternal Sonata tell me the 360 is going to much more diverse than the original Xbox. MS really picked up the ball and started running with it this gen. Solid stuff overall.

Secondly is Sony who are rebounding nicely after last year's disaster. It was tough to choose between Sony and Nintendo because neither has much that interests me personally. Haze and Unreal Tournament 3 both look good but I could honestly wait for their 360 releases. MGS4 also looks great but I expect a 360 release once the PS3 version comes down the pipeline. I don't expect Killzone 2 to amount to anything much, and Home is neat; but not really my thing. PSP isn't something I'm interested in so no comment. Much better than last year but still not as great as I'd hoped.

Last for me is Nintendo. I'm honestly just thinking of selling my Wii and forgetting about it. All I keep seeing is more and more "non-games" and very few games to suit me. All I've got to look forward to is the odd Nintendo flagship (Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, Metroid) and really how much fucking Mario does one person need? This Brain Training, Personal Fitness, and whatever else isn't for me. Kudos for Nintendo for trying something new and I'm glad it's been successful but they're not winning me over personally.

Where my money will likely be going (as far as E3 covered content goes...)

- Mass Effect (360)

- GTA IV (360)

- Assassin's Creed (360)

- Guitar Hero 3 (360)

- All Pro Football 2k8 (360)

- Fable 2 (360)

- Haze (PS3)

- Unreal Tournament 3 (PS3)

- Warhawk (PS3)

- Mario Galaxy (Wii)

- Mario Kart (Wii)

Edited by Drifter_2000

Metal Gear Solid 4 is his last Metal Gear Solid game. He will be finished with the series. It's not his last game ever.

Which he says every time a new Metal Gear is on the horizon.

I doubt it would be that as Kojima says he wants it to stay on PS3 and Konami can't make him put it on 360. Rumours are ZOE3, Silent Hill 5, new kojima game (not expected because he said mgs4 was his last game).

EDIT: I am hoping for MGS: Portable Ops 2

Metal Gear Solid 4 is his last Metal Gear Solid game. He will be finished with the series. It's not his last game ever.

Yeah, Kojima just wants to move on. I'm guessing that he'll wrap up the Metal Gear Solid series with this one, but then he'll hand over the reigns to Metal Gear to someone else, probably with a new story and new characters.

Anyway, Microsoft pretty much has me now. The only game I want for PS3 is Metal Gear, and there's still a chance that it might show up for the 360 sometime in the future. Nintendo almost won me over too, but I can't see myself spending the next few years with a Wii alone, it's too gimmicky for my taste. I'd end up buying only a few games, and that's no good. Maybe I'll get one towards the end of its life-cycle, since the price will surely be down and all the good games will be out (new Zelda, eventually). 360 though...it just looks killer. I hope the price drops down a bit, because when it does, I'll definitely be getting one. Call of Duty 4, GTA IV, Halo 3, Assassin's Creed, etc. all for a cheaper price than the PS3.

It's been hinted at, though. Kojima is always sure to specify that it's his last Metal Gear Solid game, and that it's the last with Solid Snake. He never says that it's the last Metal Gear game, though. I believe I've actually read some interviews where he talks about turning things over to the younger guys, too.

I'm sure that Kojima knew when he completed MGS2 that he'd have to make a sequel to it eventually. I mean, look at the ending he gave it. He left things pretty open. It might have been his intention originally to end the series at two games, though.

I don't think so. Because when he said this it was very close to the release of MGS2. So I don't think he would make such ignorant statements when he has left such a awful cliffhanger (How long have we been waiting for the end of this?) And I believe his statement was That this was the last game he was going to direct.