2007/2008 Hockey Thread

I'm in love with the Boston Bruins. Not even because it's Montreal, there is just sometimes contagious about the team. Suddenly, everybody has Milan Lucic fever. Me included.

I have barely followed the West outside of the Flames/Sharks, the East is old school playoff hockey at it's finest. The third period of Boston and Montreal was one of the single most exciting periods of hockey I've seen in a few years and the Philly/Caps series is the definition of intensity. I hate Philly and obviously being born and breed a Leaf fan, I'd rather Montreal went down, but Flyers and Habs has potential to be the most intense series ever, with the rabid home crowds and all.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boston's been a pleasant surprise this post-season, but I'd much rather see Montreal/Philadelphia than Pittsburgh/Boston in the second round. The latter just doesn't seem like it would be a very exciting series, whereas the former would more than likely be a barnburner.

Detroit's gotta be hoping for a San Jose win tomorrow night. They match up much better against Colorado than they do against the Flames. That's not a slight against Colorado either, because they're a really good team. I just think because of the style of hockey they play, it wouldn't be as tough of a series for the Red Wings. Of course, I'd still take Colorado to win that series, but it could go either way, and it would be much better for both teams than the alternative.

Either way, I don't see Detroit making it past the second round. If they get Colorado, then they face a team who plays a similar style with a bit more grit, and much better playoff performers. If they get Calgary, then they're getting a team who's had to battle for everything they have, and will likely wear down their geriatric defense and exploit holes in the games of Osgood and/or Hasek.

Ovechkin's break away goal last night was awesome. He makes it look so easy. I'd easily pass on Crosby, Malkin, and co to watch Alexander the Great, he is hands down the best thing going in the NHL right now and for the past few years. With no disrespect to the Pens intended, but nobody screams all out superstar like Overchkin. He's a total fucking badass too, which I love. I love this Philly/Caps series and I'm so glad I don't have to wait another day to see game 7.

I love his attitude too, everybody is talking about how the Caps are this years Pens from last post season and how this year is their learning experience. Then Ovechkin is all like "fuck that, we're getting our experience as we go and plan to use right now" and shit. He's awesome. I can't remember when I've been truly blown away by a player. Though Carey Price is quickly coming in second right now.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

The 8 minutes where San Jose scored their 4 goals tonight was the worst 8 minutes of hockey I've ever seen a Calgary Flames team play.

Aside from that, it was a B+ game that they would have at least taken to overtime if those 8 minutes never happened.

San Jose is going all the way in the West. This series was by far, the biggest stepping stone of any of the four in our conference.

The Flames can take out of this though, that at 90% of their best, they still took San Jose the distance. All we need to do is trim some of the fat in the form of guys who just don't deliver when it matters. Huselius, I'm looking at you. Games 6 and 7 were better, but prior to that, he was completely non-existant. He won't be back next season. The David's, Moss and Hale, had a huge series for us, Iginla was the hardest working guy of the entire series, and Kiprusoff was fantastic aside from a couple of bad bounces. It was a good run for us, and we lost to a team who will probably go to the Cup Finals. No shame in that.

Washington got shafted hard and dry tonight though. The second Philly goal should not have counted, which would have given the Caps a regulation win. Things being as they are though, it was a hell of a series, they played far better than anyone would have guessed a month or two ago, and now Montreal doesn't have to play New York (unless the Rangers somehow make it past the Penguins).

Well I guess all those "The NHL is trying to assure Crosby and the Pens are in the Finals" conspiracy theories were put to rest with the loss of the Crapitals.

It made me sick having to root for that fucking team. Good riddance.

Bring on the Rangers! I don't think the Penguins match up as well with them compared to Washington but I am confident that if the Pens play the way they're capable that they'll take the series.

I hope the Pens win in 5 or 7 so that the last game of Jaromir Jagr's career could be in the building where it started. That is, if he retires.

WWGRD?

Jagr won't retire at the end of the season, but it's very possible that this post-season will be the last we see of him in the NHL.

He may be headed to the new Russian Super League, and if that is the case, we won't see him again until the Olympics, where he'll probably be a large part of the Czech team. It's a shame really, because a motivated Jaromir Jagr is exciting as fuck to watch play hockey.