2007/2008 Hockey Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all fairness, I don't think any of us have whined without clearly stating that our teams deserve to be where they're at.

Calgary didn't play well enough to win the series against San Jose. I accepted that and moved on.

Colorado clearly is doing very poorly, and Drags and Plubs have both admitted that.

I'm flabbergasted at the fact that we could see three series sweeps in the second round of the playoffs though. It just doesn't seem right.

It's not impossible to come back. Highly fucking improbable, but if Theo gets back into Pimp Cane mode now he's not ill, and the defense kicks in rather than being shite, and they stop the dump and chase tactic that never bloody works, we might at least snatch a game.

I thank god I don't know any real life Red wings fans :/

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Habs lose again and Guy Carbonneau's post-game press conference face screamed "Why the fuck did Bob trade Huet?" :D

Also, I'm not entirely sure PJ Stock's French-to-English translations are that good :shifty:

...shut the fuck up.

People bitch about things whenever their team loses, regardless which sport.

I wasn't specifically referring to the posters in here, but I have seen it.

Damn, lots of bitching and moaning from the losing teams in the NHL.

Jase, where in Pittsburgh are you at if you don't mind me asking?

I live in Brookline.

Sweet, going to school or what?

Chase: Shut up, its better than being SILENT. Where were you when the pens were sucking, you bandwagoning fair-weather fan?

Yes because you've known for me for years and years and KNOW that I was not a Pens fan during the lean years at the start of the decade.

For your information I have been a Pens fan as long as I can remember, my dad used to take me to games when I was younger right after the Cup years. And in 2003 when my uncle got a new job and couldn't go to most games, he gave his season tickets to me and my dad when he couldn't go.

I don't follow hockey unless it's the Penguins because I don't get Versus and I don't have access to the games. But I know my Penguins, so calling me, someone you never met and don't know, a bandwagon fan is hilarious.

Seriously though, I don't mind when fans complain if they have a legitimate excuse. But it seems to me that the first thing people do when their team loses is immediately blame the officials. That's just bad form.

The Flyers played their best game of the series tonight, and still were outplayed by the Canadiens, even though they looked rough.

I'm not sure how much longer Biron can keep stealing games for them. He's going to be exhausted by the time the finals roll around, if they get there.

Its kind of very frustrating to watch a clearly superior team lose this series. Montreal has outplayed the Flyers in every game cept for game 1. And it's not that the Habs have played marginally better. They have completely out classed the Flyers.

What Montreal seems to not understand, is that if you get 20 scoring chances in a game. You have to PUT THEM INTO THE FUCKING NET! Philly deserves this series based only on the fact that the few chances they get, they make a good effort to put away. Biron has played very well, but nothing spectacular, Montreal's making him look like a demi-god the way they're blowing their chances.

And the worst part, is that if Montreal keeps playing this way but say... WAKES THE FUCK UP AND PUTS THEIR CHANCES IN THE FUCKING NET! They can easily take the series... not that its going to fucking happen.

Also, in response to trading Huet. Price played great for us and has stumbled in the playoffs. Huet played great for Washington and did the same thing. I don't think we'd be any better or worse off with either goalie.

Price stumbled a bit, but the goaltending isn't the issue in Montreal. It's what's being talked about, but the Powerplay has been abysmal and despite playing great hockey, the forwards can't seem to put the puck in the net. What's worked so far for them is hard shots from the point, with lots of traffic in front. It's the only way they've been able to consistently beat Biron, and if they want a chance to take this series to 6, then they should focus on that.

Two possible sweeps tonight. Pittsburgh and Detroit could secure their spots in the Conference Finals with wins tonight.

Haven't seen this posted in here although I am sure everyone has seen.

NHL agitator Sean Avery suffers heart attack print this article

The Prince Albert Daily Herald

New York Rangers forward Sean Avery was rushed to a New York hospital early Wednesday morning in cardiac arrest just a few short hours after his team lost a National Hockey League playoff game to the Pittsburgh Penguins.

As reported in the New York Daily News, Avery was unconscious and not breathing.

The 28-year-old arrived at St. Vincent’s Medical Center about 3 a.m. ET in Manhattan, reports the newspaper.

TSN.ca is reporting that he suffered a lacerated spleen, and the Pickering, Ont., native will be out for the remainder of the playoffs.

The Rangers had just lost 5-3 in Game 3 of the Stanley Cup playoffs Eastern semifinal against the Pittsburgh Penguins at Madison Square Garden.

A source, reportedly close to the team, confirmed Avery had been rushed to the hospital, but declined to offer any more information.

The Daily News had reported in March that the former Ontario Hockey league star with the Owen Sound Platers and Kingston Frontenacs was linked to a Manhattan prostitution ring. Avery was registered as a client of brothel Maison de L’Amour. He later denied having anything to do with the prostitution service.

Avery is a noted agitator on the ice. In the first round of the playoffs, Avery and New Jersey Devils goaltender Martin Brodeur battled on the ice and waged a war of words off it. Brodeur refused to shake Avery’s hand during the player’s traditional lineup after the Rangers defeated the Devils in five games in that first round.

A heart attack isn't true. He had a lacerated spleen that he suffered in the first period of the game, kept playing through the pain, and then after the game he walked into St. Vincents.

From NHL.com:

NEW YORK - Rangers forward Sean Avery remained in an intensive care unit Thursday, two days after his spleen was lacerated during a playoff loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins.

"He won't be removed from there until it stops bleeding, and it hasn't," team spokesman John Rosasco said Thursday after the Rangers held their morning skate before Game 4.

Avery, who will miss the rest of the post-season, spent Wednesday in hospital and is expected to remain there for at least a few days. A CT scan revealed the lacerated spleen, which didn't require surgery. Rosasco said Avery is expected to make a full recovery.

"He was never in a life-threatening situation," Rosasco said.

Some teammates went to see Avery on Wednesday, and coach Tom Renney hoped to visit on his way to Madison Square Garden. The Rangers trail the Penguins 3-0 in the best-of-seven, second-round series.

Avery was injured during Tuesday night's 5-3 loss from a hit, possibly in the first period, but played despite worsening pain.

He took seven shifts in the first period, five in the second, and seven in the third. He spent four minutes 58 seconds on the ice in the final frame.

Rosasco said Avery was evaluated at the arena, then rode in a car with team physician Dr. Andrew Feldman to St. Vincent's Medical Center and walked in shortly after the game.

The spleen, about the size of a fist, is on the left side of the body, behind the stomach. It helps the body fight infection and filter blood. A person can live without a spleen but loses some ability to combat infection.

Avery's mother, Marlene, said that her son's spleen had not ruptured, but he had internal bleeding. Hospital spokesman Michael Fagan said Avery was in stable condition.

The Rangers, who are trying to extend their season, learned Thursday that Blair Betts also will be sidelined. The centre was diagnosed with a broken orbital bone around his left eye and is expected to have surgery this weekend.

Betts was injured while blocking a shot in the second period Tuesday night. Fellow centre Chris Drury skated Thursday and will be a game-time decision. He played through a torso injury that made it difficult for him to even raise his arms during the second half of Game 3.

"He feels quite good," Renney said. "He'll dress in the warmup. It's looking good."

Edited by Plubby