2007/2008 Hockey Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't get to see the game because I had to work, but from what I understand the Rangers played awesome, the Pens played shitty, and now we go back to Pittsburgh for game 5.

Can't win em all.

Pittsburgh didn't play that badly at all. New York just upped their game to the same level, and Lundqvist made up for his less than stellar performances in the first three games.

The Pens needed this though, I think. They didn't seem ready to go in for the kill at all in this game, and they need to know that it's kill or be killed, which this loss will have shown them.

It was a good game to watch though. Lots of action, and the next one should be even better, with Pittsburgh getting a chance to win the series at home.

Also, Canada will publicly be slaughtering Slovenia tomorrow at 12:20 pacific time, I believe. Hopefully you can all watch.

Damn, lots of bitching and moaning from the losing teams in the NHL.

Jase, where in Pittsburgh are you at if you don't mind me asking?

I live in Brookline.

Sweet, going to school or what?

Nah...my girlfriend (whom I met when she was going to school in Michigan) is from this area (Beaver actually), and she got a job here after she graduated, so we moved to Pittsburgh together.

As far as Colorado goes....I thought putting in Budaj was what Colorado needed to do to get back into the swing of things. As it turns out, I was wrong. Theodore gave up 3 goals in this game. Budaj gave up 5. Not that they were necessarily his fault, but I don't think I was right.

And I have to say, the one thing that I liked about what Colorado did at the end of this game is that they kept playing to the end. They didn't try to act like goons, or start fights, they just played like a team with a lot of pride who's had a tough go of it (Lots of injuries). They were fighting to get the puck, and it almost seemed (with the way they played) like the game was actually close.

Now, I've hated the Avalanche since 1996, but I respect their no-quit attitude in this series, even when the going got tough.

Hopefully now the Sharks can stretch out that series and wear out Dallas some.

Didn't get to see the game because I had to work, but from what I understand the Rangers played awesome, the Pens played shitty, and now we go back to Pittsburgh for game 5.

Can't win em all.

As long as you, presuming you and the Flyers get through, can shut up all the annoying Flyers fans around me I will be happy. I've never wanted to see a sports team lose as much, sans maybe the Patriots in the Super Bowl, as I want to see the Flyers get eliminated. Their fans are everywhere, literally within the last month. Some guy tried to tell me Richards was better than Crosby, Ovechkin, and Malkin because he's meant more to his team. A team with Biron, Briere, and others.

Can't win em all.

As long as you, presuming you and the Flyers get through, can shut up all the annoying Flyers fans around me I will be happy. I've never wanted to see a sports team lose as much, sans maybe the Patriots in the Super Bowl, as I want to see the Flyers get eliminated. Their fans are everywhere, literally within the last month. Some guy tried to tell me Richards was better than Crosby, Ovechkin, and Malkin because he's meant more to his team. A team with Biron, Briere, and others.

Shouldn't you be saying that to a Rangers fan? OH YES THE COMEBACK IS ON.

Can't win em all.

Trust me, if it's Pens/Flyers it's going to be epic.

Richards better than Sid, AO, and Geno? Hardly. Then again I go to school with a lot of Flyers fans so this doesn't surprise me. Their stupidity is rivaled by no one.

Mike Richards is never going to be as explosive or offensively dynamic as Alex or Sid, but he is going to be the best two way player in league. Or he should be. Sid and Alex have a natural ability to handle the puck, they are masters, Richards isn't that type of player. Mike Richards is a guy just by looking at him you can tell one day he is going to be like a modern day Steve Yzerman. A skilled offensive player, heads up on defense, can make or end plays at either end of the ice, efficient, and intelligent.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Mike Richards is never going to be as explosive or offensively dynamic as Alex or Sid, but he is going to be the best two way player in league. Or he should be. Sid and Alex have a natural ability to handle the puck, they are masters, Richards isn't that type of player. Mike Richards is a guy just by looking at him you can tell one day he is going to be like a modern day Steve Yzerman. A skilled offensive player, heads up on defense, can make or end plays at either end of the ice, efficient, and intelligent.

I like Jeff Carter more then Richards. If they keep both, the Flyers are set at center for a long long time.

Can't win em all.

They didn't play bad; The penguins had a penalty shot, a breakaway, some powerplays, and a some 2 -1 rushes, but lundqvist wouldn't bite on anything, especially that lack of effort by Malkin on the penalty shot. (I expected more than that. But, I think part of it was the ice being bad)

Speaking of Malkin.... I didn't like his attitude at the end of the game, and I know sometimes Frustration gets the best of you, but sweeping somebody's leg out from under, isn't necessary. That's more dangerous than it looks. I really feel that players should be fined for doing that.

Credit has to be given to the entire Ranger team, not just Hank. They've really taken it to the penguins in the last 2 games, and the series should really be tied in my eyes, but unfortunately Lundqvist didn't make any "wow" saves in game 3. (I don't think they were all bad goals, or all his fault, but he didn't make any game winning saves)

Anyway, like somebody else pointed out, Penguins needed this loss, and I don't think it could've came at a better time for them. It's not panic mode yet, they're still up 3-1.

The World Championships opened up today, and Canada started the tournament off with a 5-1 victory over Slovenia. Dany Heatley picked up 3 goals and an assist, and is now Canada's all-time leading goal scorer at the World Championships.

Full credit goes to Slovenia though. They never let up at any point in the game, and I wholeheartedly believe that if they weren't part of the main tournament, they'd be a dominant force in the lower tier.

Slovenia's goalie, Robert Kristan, made 60 saves, which is amazing in itself. Add to that, the fact that he did it wearing equipment noticeably smaller than anyone's worn in over a decade, and it becomes all the more impressive. He won player of the game for Slovenia. Heatley won the award for the Canadian team.

Next up: Latvia on Sunday.

God, I love the international game so much. I wish there was more of it on television.