Official 2007 NCAA Football Season

ACCBiggz

Uh, App State had the bragging rights already. They're the two time defending 1-AA champions.

and I said that if things fell into place ........ and they did.

The best thing of all of this, is that FINALLY, every Michigan everywhere can shut the fuck up. Congrats on your coming out party Wolverines. Annually overrated and now finally the big exposure. God bless college football.

There are several teams at the top of 1-AA that are probably better than several of the teams playing 1-A ball. The athletic gap isn't all that much, as there are multitudes of Division 1 players littering D 1-AA rosters.

The difference though, is the depth at which the 1-A teams play. Over a 10-14 game schedule, only one or two of the 1-AA teams could keep pace. Sure, they can one-off anyone as was proven today. Realistically though they'd have no chance over a full season.

That said, I absolutely love that the trend set last year is continuing. Northwestern shouldn't feel to bad about losing to New Hampshire. A good football team is a good football team no matter what division you play in. Hell, last year D-3 went 7-8 against 1-AA ... that's a jump of TWO divisions.

I'd say teams like Montana, Georgia Southern, or App State (I'm not as informed on their program, I don't think they have quite the history of Montana), could probably compete in the non-BCS conferences. I'm not saying Montana would go out and win the Mountain West or WAC, but they'd compete.

lol, Georgia Southern actually blows now .... but I too feel that there are several teams at the 1-AA level that could step up in their current state, and with the addition of the 1-A scholorships and such ... could be very good at the lower end of 1-A.

Just look at what Troy, Marshall, and USF have all done. They are the perfect examples of what we're talking about.

Yeah, reminded me of Peter Warrick against Illinois .......... remember that Biggzy ?

for the "lack" of good games this week (so said the experts) there sure have been some great stories today.

ECU looked amazing at VaTech ... the upset of EVER in college football ... this Cal/Tenn game ...... CSU/Col was great .... Wyoming make Virginia look down right shitty ......

yeah, I love college football

This is why college teams need one or two scrimmage/pre-season games. I'm not saying some of these teams would have won but you see more upsets and surprises during the first week than anywhere else.

This Cal/Tenn game is good, but that special teams play was horrid. Cal's offense is benefitting more from poor tackling and such than anything else. White shirts EVERYWHERE then Cal RB's and WR's just split them magically out of nowhere. It's like Tennessee is just watching them.

And it hurts teams that play conference games right away. Because it's a conference loss before your team even gets going. Can murder a season right away. Except for the advantage if it is two ranked teams, then its better. So there are pros and cons to it all I suppose.

Edited by ACCBiggz

Upset alert

Other than the ones I've named above, other games on the schedule look to be very dangerous. Others just seem like good fun.

Appalachian State @ Michigan (The two time defending 1-AA champs get their shot at a 1-A powerhouse. What game it would be if things fell into place.)

Wow, now isn't this the most lucky pick in the world....

There are several teams at the top of 1-AA that are probably better than several of the teams playing 1-A ball. The athletic gap isn't all that much, as there are multitudes of Division 1 players littering D 1-AA rosters.

The difference though, is the depth at which the 1-A teams play. Over a 10-14 game schedule, only one or two of the 1-AA teams could keep pace. Sure, they can one-off anyone as was proven today. Realistically though they'd have no chance over a full season.

That said, I absolutely love that the trend set last year is continuing. Northwestern shouldn't feel to bad about losing to New Hampshire. A good football team is a good football team no matter what division you play in. Hell, last year D-3 went 7-8 against 1-AA ... that's a jump of TWO divisions.

There are some I-AA schools that could do fairly well for themselves in 1-A. I won't say compete for the BCS, that's highly unlikely. But your App St or UMass or New Hampshire ... they probably could be over .500 in 1-A in a smaller conference.

And I don't know where you get your 7-8 stat of D3 over 1-AA, but I at least know of two. The MAAC is primarily a basketball conference, their football teams are garbage that couldn't hold a candle to most D3. My college (Western Conn. St., which lost yesterday 20-7 to 1-AA Wagner) won both games against 1-AA schools... St. Peter's (which don't have a program anymore) and Iona. Oh yeah, we were 5-5 last year IIRC.

Upset alert

Other than the ones I've named above, other games on the schedule look to be very dangerous. Others just seem like good fun.

Appalachian State @ Michigan (The two time defending 1-AA champs get their shot at a 1-A powerhouse. What game it would be if things fell into place.)

Wow, now isn't this the most lucky pick in the world....

And I don't know where you get your 7-8 stat of D3 over 1-AA, but I at least know of two. The MAAC is primarily a basketball conference, their football teams are garbage that couldn't hold a candle to most D3. My college (Western Conn. St., which lost yesterday 20-7 to 1-AA Wagner) won both games against 1-AA schools... St. Peter's (which don't have a program anymore) and Iona. Oh yeah, we were 5-5 last year IIRC.

Lucky ? Or maybe I knew that App St wouldn't be a cakewalk ........ I never expected them to actually win, but I absolutely did expect them to play a damn good game and push Michigan ...... but as I said ... everything just fell into place.

as for the D3 stat against 1-AA last year, that comes directly from D3football.com ...... I played D3 ball, so I keep up with it.

not sure what all the teams were last year, but one I do know off the top of my head is Urisnis (sp) over LaSalle

A bit off-topic for the 2007 season, but Ohio State has USC schuduled for next season and listening to the radio broadcast of their game today they had the athletic director on talking about scheduling Youngstown St and why Michigan scheduled App State. Has to do with that 12th game and trying to find people on short notice, I think he said Michigan didn't sign App State until April, and then OSU AD said that, and I can't confirm this or find a source online, that they have added Georgia for next season. If that's true OSU play UGA and USC before the Big 10 is a heck of a schedule.