Official 2007 NCAA Football Season

ACCBiggz

Now that I've actually SEEN this so-called fair catch, I can see how it wasn't called. They're very finicky about fair catch calls, I remember about 10 years ago my grandpa telling me about how some guy called for a fair catch, got lit up and had the flag waved off because he didn't do the arm-wave-over-the-head clearly enough to signify a fair catch.

That said, I can see why it wasn't called but you just know the UL guy gets a flag if he levels the return man as soon as he catches it.

"Needed trick plays to win"....wow. The USF not playing game excuse is bullshit (no pun intended). Did you see the game Teel had by any chance?

Wow is right. I saw the game Teel had (and infact said BEFORE the game that he was an efficient QB), and it still took a fake punt and fake field goal. I watched the game, and saw that despite all of the USF D's woes, and Teel's performance ... Rutgers still had to pull out trick plays. That happened, I didn't make it up. Give them the FG instead of the TD on the fake and what's the score ? Hell, USF had ten penalties in the game. Defensively they played their worst game of the year, that's fact. The difference in the score of the game, is the two trick plays.

And the UCLA-Cal game shows why penalty review is needed; completely missed leg whip gives UCLA a 3rd and 10-ish rather than the first down from the penalty. It's my theory that any play should be reviewable, and you're only penalized for excessive usage of it without having them overturned. Too many plays turn out to be important because something is called when it's not supposed to be and vice versa.

That said, I still fail to see why, in this day and age of technological advances, first downs are determined by a handful of old guys, two sticks and a chain. Can't we put a chip in the ball and sensors on either first down stick to determine if it went past or not?

I'm now convinced that Les Miles is a psycho. If he tries something asinine like that in a title game and loses because of it, he'll be the biggest goat ever. It's almost like watching a video game with how often he goes for it on 4th down and risks taking points off of the board which would tie games up.

I'm now convinced that Les Miles is a psycho. If he tries something asinine like that in a title game and loses because of it, he'll be the biggest goat ever. It's almost like watching a video game with how often he goes for it on 4th down and risks taking points off of the board which would tie games up.

Yeah, there needs to be a human element because non-controversial games that don't involve referee screw-ups just aren't exciting enough. And besides, machines wouldn't give away information to the gambling rings or botch a coin flip. What would ESPN report on?

And besides, Glenn Dorsey didn't need that knee the Auburn O-lineman low-blocked anyway. And the UCLA back prefers having cleat marks in his thigh pads from uncalled leg whips. Louisville likes losing thanks to punt returns that should've been called fair catches.

You don't need 40 angles and a 2-minute pause between snaps to check for mistakes, but for god's sake when it's a personal foul penalty that requires at most one angle and a two-second video review, is it that horrible for the game that the two seconds are spent to be sure cheap shots are penalized? Is it that horrible for the game that all spots for first-downs and touchdowns are reviewed?

It's such bullshit that whenever they do a review, the announcers shill how "It's so important to get the call right", and then they neglect to mention that it's only important to get the call right if a coach uses one of their alloted challenges to have it looked at, and if it happens to be a particular situation that doesn't involve a penalty, force-out or a handful of other questionable, easily miss-able calls.

I'm not saying you should be able to challenge how many blades of grass beyond a certain yard line the ball should be spotted after every snap, but if it's a play that would result in either a first down, touchdown or turnover it should be auto-reviewed. Penalty calls should be made on the obviousness (clearly you can't go watching all the o-line/d-line struggles to check for holding, but obvious chop blocks, leg whips, etc. would be checked); if the stadium guy can get video in time to put it on the big screen, shouldn't, y'know, the REFEREES have a look?

It was third down, and if you looked at the time when he made the catch, there was 4 seconds ... if it falls incomplete, they still have time for a 4th down FG attempt. That, and everyone in the world figured Florida would be calling time out.

As for the fair catch deal ... if you haven't played the game, it's hard to have a say. I played (albiet DIII) and have had several instances with this judgement call. A player is allowed to put his hand up as long as he isn't waving it side to side. In fact, the majority of refs tell you to "make it obvious" that you're fair catching a ball because they want to make sure the play happens as it's supposed too. With no more halo rule, you'd better be waving that hand like a mo'frucker ... and the defensive players know what the signal for a fair catch is.

Besides, if you don't hear the whistle ........ you keep playing.

it was 3rd down wasn't it? Same thing though as there was no time left on the clock. What a crazy play? The man is a lunatic.

Yeah, there needs to be a human element because non-controversial games that don't involve referee screw-ups just aren't exciting enough. And besides, machines wouldn't give away information to the gambling rings or botch a coin flip. What would ESPN report on?

And besides, Glenn Dorsey didn't need that knee the Auburn O-lineman low-blocked anyway. And the UCLA back prefers having cleat marks in his thigh pads from uncalled leg whips. Louisville likes losing thanks to punt returns that should've been called fair catches.

You don't need 40 angles and a 2-minute pause between snaps to check for mistakes, but for god's sake when it's a personal foul penalty that requires at most one angle and a two-second video review, is it that horrible for the game that the two seconds are spent to be sure cheap shots are penalized? Is it that horrible for the game that all spots for first-downs and touchdowns are reviewed?

It's such bullshit that whenever they do a review, the announcers shill how "It's so important to get the call right", and then they neglect to mention that it's only important to get the call right if a coach uses one of their alloted challenges to have it looked at, and if it happens to be a particular situation that doesn't involve a penalty, force-out or a handful of other questionable, easily miss-able calls.

I'm not saying you should be able to challenge how many blades of grass beyond a certain yard line the ball should be spotted after every snap, but if it's a play that would result in either a first down, touchdown or turnover it should be auto-reviewed. Penalty calls should be made on the obviousness (clearly you can't go watching all the o-line/d-line struggles to check for holding, but obvious chop blocks, leg whips, etc. would be checked); if the stadium guy can get video in time to put it on the big screen, shouldn't, y'know, the REFEREES have a look?