Photoshop 7 Question

Is there a way to prevent a brush that isn't set at 100% Opacity to look like its been layered over once you stop holding your mouse and click over the same place again?

Actually thats really confusing..I'll tell you an example

I am colouring a pic but the pic has lines through it so I don't want them to be covered over in black. I set the brush to maybe 50% Opacity and start colouring. I get to an edge so I let go of the mouse to stop colouring but when I go back over it the colour makes it look like it overlapped and some parts go the colour I want but the parts I did before go a darker colour.

Can someone fix that?

Interesting question. I'll have a think about it. The first thing that comes to mind is, instead of brushing 100% black at 50% opacity, can't you brush 50% gray at 100% opacity, or is that not what you want?

Edit: Sorry, I read your post again, that's not what you want. I'll keep thinking

hmm if I understand what you are saying . couldn't you isolate the lines and have them on a separate layer above everything. and set it to multiply ? I'f I'm off the mark let me know and I'll think this over as well

No I meant something like this

untitled1hu2.th.jpg

The darker parts are when I went back over the scribble

What you could do is first make a new layer and colour on that. When you stop, instead of colouring on the same layer, make another new one and colour (don't matter if you go over like you have there) and so forth.

The, when you've finished, use the mask on the layer (Ctrl and click the icon on the layers box on CS2, probably the same on 7), got and delete the overlapped parts on the other layers.

A bit fiddley yeah, but I think that's a way of getting round it. Hope it helps and hope you get me lol.

I see what you are saying now. You want to pain but you don't won't the paint to get on the outlines , so you adjust the opacity thinking it would work , instead you get what you show in the pic above.

Do you have a screenshot of what exactly you are trying to color ? Because if it's lineart. you can make the later with the outlines blend mode to multiply. and below it on a new layer , pain on there,

I'll be able to help you better if you cna post a screenshot of what you are wanting to color

OK I gotcha. it's easier if you get the outline on a separate layer and all the white parts deleted. To do this. Duplicated the layer that the base tattoo image is on. Now go to the channels palette.Duplicate the blue channel. Now you should have a new channel called Blue copy.

Click that channel and hit Ctrl + I (or go to image-adjustments-Invert). Now the image should be white on black. Hold Ctrl and click on the blue copy channel. This should select all the white parts. now either hit ctrl + C to copy or go to the layer palette , create a new layer and fill with black. Now you should have the black outline on a separate layer. Set this new outline layer to multiply blend mode.

Create a new layer below the outline layer and start your painting on that layer. For some of the tricky spots you might have to use the magic wand or the lasso tool to select the tricky areas in order to color them.

For that tattoo image . you might have to adjust levels before inverting the color in the channel palette.

Just do it in 100% opacity and then lower the layer's opacity once you're done. And if you want things done at different levels, i.e. something at 50% opacity and something at 80%, then you'll have to make 2 layers.

Easiest way about it, unless I'm misunderstanding what you're wanting.