cutting objects out

I can't seem to actually figure out how exactly to do it. I've been checking on websites, and can't seem to get it done at all. So I turn to you guys, who all seem to be good at it. How can I accomplish it without going insane? Thanks.

Select the eraser tool...Drag it over the bits you want to erase, and hey presto!

Alternatively, if the bits you are erasing are all the same colour, you could use the Magic Eraser tool. This can be used with anything you want to erase, but if it's not all the same colour it tends to erase bits you don't want to erase as well.

Hope that helps ;)

Just select the polygonal lasso mask tool (not the free hand one, then one that makes lines) and just go round your object. You don't need to get it spot on, but close enough. Then, go on select > feather and feather the mask by a few pixels (depending on size or whatever) then copy and paste. Et volia.

PS. This is assuming your using Photoshop. Though I expect it'll be practically the same whatever program your using, just different terms or whatever.

There's various ways to cut things out. I'd try a few and decide which you find best. Personally I like to use the polygonal lasso tool, cutting bit by bit of the background out until I'm left with what I want. The pen tool is good to use as well, you can probably cut more accurately with that but I'd suggest reading a tutorial on how to use the pen in general first as it can be difficult upon first use.

Or if you can't be bothered and are just doing graphics for fun, you can download some pre-cut PSD files from various resource sites, the best probably being www.psdprotocol.com (mainly wrestling based but has others as well).

I personally prefer to use the eraser for cutting out, but the above work too.

PSDProtocol is good, but if you don't donate, you only get 10 results, because they're gay like that.

If it's wrestling stuff your after, IPSD is a good site.

What do you mean you only get 10 results? You can download as much as you want the last time I saw.

The eraser tool isn't very accurate unless you use a really small one which would take ages. Cutting away a bit of a background it's probably useful for but not for accurately cutting an object out of a picture.

Edit: I see what you mean about the 10 results now, but that's not really an obstacle, just browse through the categories, they're sorted very well into groups.

Edited by dwsnuk

I've found that no single method works best , it really depends on the picture you are tackling at the moment. Most of the time I rely on channels to create my masks , but sometimes that doesn't work and I use a black brush and mask out the image by hand. When that doesn't work I use the extra filter and then just do touch ups. If you can get a hang of the pen tool I suggest using that. i still haven't gotten used to it yet lmoa

I use the pen tool, but I seriously wouldn't recommend that to a novice.

Best bet for a beginner is the marquee and eraser tools.

There's so much contradicting information in this thread though, ignore all of us and check out this tutorial...

Pen tool is golden... if you know how to use it. It is similar to the polygon lasoo tool, just make sure you change it to select paths not draw a shape. Then you control click on the path and hey presto.

when doing curves hold alt and click on the point and it will level it off.

but like K said probably not best for the novice

Thanks for the help guys, I'm getting the hang of the cutting out, which is good because it was driving me insane. I've got another stupid question though. I have a picture I cut out, and I have a new image. How would I combine the two?