The Orange Box

Maxx

I'm trading in Halo 3, which has only served to remind me why I stopped playing Halo 2, and picking this up tomorrow, mostly for Team Fortress 2, which looks to be awesome.

But 3 games for $60 is good all around in my book.

Can I expect to see anyone on Live with it?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had no idea it was this close to release, even although the European release is the 19th. I've already got Half-Life 2 and Episode 1 on the PC, so I might just save this for the old Christmas list. (Y)

Oh you mean on PS3? I was shocked when I read your post but then looked it up. Tomorrow it'll be out for the PC.

What I don't like about this is that The Black Box has been cancelled so that means I HAVE to buy Episode One and HL2 as well because they are in The Orange Box. I'm paying more for something I already have, which is just kinda gay. Nonetheless if this is the only way I'll buy it anyways ofcourse, 'cause I want to know what happens next and I'm really interested in Portal.

Actually, it’s more like December.

I can’t wait for Team Fortress 2, because I like class based shooters more so than frag fests. Halo 3 is awesome when playing with people on your friends list, but I’m getting sick of playing with random people who either don’t know what we’re playing, or don’ do anything, thus crippling our team. I’ll probably be an Engineer or Medic, because I love assist classes.

For those who don't know, here are the 9 classes:

● 1) Demoman

Primary Weapon: Sticky Bomb Launcher

Secondary Weapon: Grenade Launcher

Melee Weapon: Bottle

Valve says: A versatile combat class packing an absurd amount of high explosives, the Demoman is great at holding a map's choke points. Whether he's shutting down an enemy route by laying sticky bombs along it, shelling an area with long distance grenade fire, or simply blowing up anything that blocks the team's way, the Demoman is the class of choice for anyone interested in making a lot of noise.

● 2) Engineer

Primary Weapon: Shotgun

Secondary Weapon: Pistol

Melee Weapon: Wrench

Other Weapon: Construction PDA

Valve says: The defensive backbone of any team, the Engineer builds useful devices such as sentry guns, health & ammo dispensers, and personal teleporters. Tactical placement of these devices and the ability to maintain them under fire are the keys to being a successful Engineer. If you're better at planning and thinking than fighting, you're a natural born Engineer.

● 3) Heavy

Primary Weapon: Minigun

Secondary Weapon: Shotgun

Melee Weapon: Fists

Valve says: The slowest, most powerful class, the Heavy carries a massive minigun capable of clearing roomfuls of enemies. He's vital on defense to deal with Scouts, who can easily avoid Soldiers and Demomen. If you're a player who wants to be in the thick of the action, but your aim is a little rusty, the Heavy is the perfect class for you.

● 4) Medic

Primary Weapon: Syringe Launcher

Secondary Weapon: Medi-Gun

Melee Weapon: Bonesaw

Valve says: The core support class, the Medic is invaluable on both offense and defense. When attached to an offensive squad, he's critical to keeping it alive inside the enemy base (while also boosting its offensive capability.) On defense, his ability to keep defenders healthy means they won't have to leave their posts. If you want to be loved by your entire team, or to indirectly kill a horde of enemies without firing a shot, then the Medic is just what the doctor ordered.

● 5) Pyro

Primary Weapon: Flamethrower

Melee Weapon: Fire Axe

Valve says: The nastiest class to run into when turning a corner. The flamethrower produces a massive amount of damage over a short range, making the Pyro the most lethal close-quarter class there is. Pyros are often seen playing a defensive role near the front line, ambushing enemies as they enter tight spaces. On offense, they're terrific at harassing the enemy's defense, since it's hard to maintain a solid defensive line when you're on fire.

● 6) Spy

Primary Weapon: Revolver

Secondary Weapon: Disguise Kit

Melee Weapon: Butterfly Knife

Other Weapon: Sapper

Valve says: The Spy excels at the black arts of infiltration and assassination. With the ability to disguise himself to look like an enemy, or even become fully invisible on command, the Spy creates havoc behind enemy lines. He's an enemy's worst nightmare -- a dangerous foe indistinguishable from a friend. If you prefer guile to brute force, the Spy is what you're looking for.

● 7) Sniper

Primary Weapon: Sniper Rifle

Secondary Weapon: Submachine Gun

Melee Weapon: Machete

Valve says: Nobody beats the Sniper at long-range combat. With a little time to find a perch and dig in, he can significantly slow an enemy advance. If knocking the helmet off a Soldier at 400 paces sounds fun, then the Sniper is the class for you.

● 8) Soldier

Primary Weapon: Rocket Launcher

Melee Weapon: Shovel

Valve says: The core of any offensive push, the Soldier comes armed with a devastating rocket launcher. Faster and slightly more fragile than the Heavy, the Soldier's a true all-arounder. From taking out Engineer sentry guns to using his rockets to launch himself into the air, the Soldier is useful in a wide variety of situations. If you're an old school deathmatcher, or just quick on your feet in the middle of combat, the Soldier's your man.

● 9) Scout

Primary Weapon: Scattergun

Secondary Weapon: Pistol

Melee Weapon: Aluminum Baseball Bat

Valve says: The fastest and lightest of all the classes, the Scout uses his speed to punch through enemy lines before opposing defenders can react. What he lacks in health and weaponry, he makes up for with his incredible speed and aerial maneuverability. If you'd like to sprint gracefully through enemy fire, look into the Scout.

Edited by abundant

3 games, it's 5 <_<

HL 2, HL Episode 1, HL Episode 2, Portal and TF2.

I'll probably pick it up Thursday night, but I might grab it on Wednesday if I get the chance. 5 games for $60 is just something I can't pass up, especially since it's another few weeks before the massive end-of-year rush for games comes about.

Played TF2 for eight hours straight. I've still got my sniper skills from TFC. Notched the "Grey Matter" achievement within two hours, and I've got almost 400 kills, probably around 80% with sniper. Proudest moment: on 2Fort, nailed a headshot on an airborne solider while scoring Dominations on the opposing two snipers.

I'd still be playing but my head hurts and I feel like I'm going to throw up.

Edited by Heel Turn

I can't wait to get the Orange Box! I still play TFC almost daily, and have beaten Half Life. Working on HL2 still, but damn that's a great deal for all five games.

My PC can run HL2 fine, but I'm not so sure about the newer ones. It probably can. Oh well, I'm buying a new computer around February anyways which WILL be able to rock the shit out of it!

Glad to hear that TF2 is still addicting and fun, though. I've spent many long nights on TFC haha. Not so much lately, but still it's one of the most fun games ever. How is Portal?

Played some more TF2 and right now, the three classes I always stick to are the Engineer (defense), Medic (offence), and Demoman (for taking out enemy sentries.) People are still getting the hang of TF2. The most common mistakes I see are:

- engineers laying down sentries without a dispenser and then leaving it alone.

- Spies who ignore my sentry in 2Fort, grabbing the intelligence, thus removing their disguise, leaving them open for my sentry to destroy them.

- people running away from fights when their ubercharged.

Also, Dust Bowl is a bitch to win on offence. The first capture point goes down quickly, but the second one is always guarded by pyros, heavies, and sentries.