Autographs: Those you have and those you want

Simple really, what autographs are your most treasured? Who's autograph would you most want?

Mine are pretty much all sports.

I have a signed Jan Ullrich cyling promo card from a couple of seasons ago.

I have a magazine cover signed by Jonty Rhodes, the South African fielding genius.

I've got a Wimbledon tennis ticket signed by Greg Rusedski from the first year he represented Britain.

I've got a dentist appointment card signed by the mighty Carl Hooper ex-Kent and West Indies cricketing legend.

I got given a mini cricket bat signed by the entire Kent first team squad after I raised quite a lot of money for a leukaemia charity back in the early 90s.

I've got numerous others but these are the biggies.

Those I'd love to have are:

Michael Rasmussen (cycling)

Robbie Keane (footy)

Lance Klusener (cricket)

Takeshi Kitano (movies)

Jason Statham (movies)

Bjork (music)

Richard D James (music)

Guest Onkel Hans

Have: (unless otherwise stated, it's a postcard/trading card/scrap of paper)

Joe Sakic

Peter Forsberg

Claude Lemieux

Patrick Roy

Valeri Kamensky

Craig Billington

Joe Sakic (puck)

Walter Gretzky

Joe Sakic

Kelly Gruber

Mike Timlin (ball)

Kelly Fairchild

Two AHL players I can't identify

Most assuredly NOT Mike Foligno

Riku Hahl

Another two AHLers I can't identify

Joe Sakic

Pat Lafontaine

Brett Hull

Steve Duchesne

And I'm missing a sheet that has a lot more former Avs, including Bourque and Tanguay :(

I guess I just never understood autographs from a sentimental perspective. The only perk I really see from them is that they boost the retail value of a piece of memorabilia. I can't say I've ever asked for someone's autograph. Hell, when I was a younger (in the Mo Vaughn days) I was taken into the dugout during a game against the Twins, and the all of the Red Sox signed my ball.

Last year I gave it to my roommate (an avid Sox fan) for his birthday because it had no emotional value to me. Was it nice meeting the guys? Yeah, the memory is great but that is what I have to remember it. I don't really need their names on my ball, and I certainly don't need anyones name on a piece of paper.

But to each there own.

I've got some Toronto Maple Leaf and a few other player autographs. I went to Toronto Maple Leafs hockey school when I was a kid and got my jersey signed by Darryl Sittler, Mike Johnson, Johnny Bower, and Tie Domi. I have a hat from a golf tournament I caddied at years ago signed by Mike Bossy, Kirk Muller, and Bernie Nichols. An autographed photo of Peter Zezel (who for whatever reason was my favorite Leaf for a time being). I got my old Leafs jersey signed by Allan McCauley and Shane Corson. But my most prized possessions are my Doug Gilmour, Grant Fuhr, Glenn Anderson, Dave Ellett, Wendel Clark, and Jamie Macoun (who was the fucking man, by the way) autographed hockey cards. So yeah, all but two of the autographs are from players that weren't Leafs.

What else...

Mike Myers (my mom knows his mom, signed photo)

Eugene Levy (signed photo)

Jerome Williams aka Junkyard Dog aka JYD (former Toronto Raptor, the fucking man. Most beloved Raptor ever, next to Mo Pete... off topic, he was sitting front row at Raw years ago and the crowd started a "JYD" chant. Good times. Oh, yeah he signed my Raptors t-shirt)

Billy Koch (former Blue Jays pitcher, signed my Jays hat)

Doug Flutie (the man needs no introduction, signed a mini Argonauts football)

Ric Flair (got his book signed)

Trish Stratus (signed my Wrestlemania magazine, this was after WM 18 at the Skydome. About a million times hotter in person and a lot smaller than I thought. And a pre-nosejob by a few years)

Chris Jericho (who signed everything that people gave him and made sure to exchange a few words with everybody)

And a few more I'm forgetting right now because my mind is wandering after thinking about that JYD story.

Its funny because I have this autographs, but besides a few of them, they're all thrown in my closet or in the basement or in places I don't even know. The only autographs signings I've been to where for Ric Flair, Doug Flutie, and Billy Koch (because he was at my school once). Everything else was spur of the moment thing or because somebody got it for me.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

I don't generally collect autographs to just sit around.

For example, my Ullrich card should soon be joined by signed cards (every team each season produces cards about 4x3 inches for each cyclist in their squad - when signed they make nice "collectables") of another couple of cyclists who I follow. These can then be framed together to make a nice display.

I'm after a Danny Boyle signature at the moment. I've got a movie poster for Sunshine and want the signature (got my eye on one) to place under the poster to be framed (yes I'm old and married now, I FRAME posters). It just makes a nice display for a fan of a sportsman, actor, director etc.

I don't generally collect autographs to just sit around.

For example, my Ullrich card should soon be joined by signed cards (every team each season produces cards about 4x3 inches for each cyclist in their squad - when signed they make nice "collectables") of another couple of cyclists who I follow. These can then be framed together to make a nice display.

I'm after a Danny Boyle signature at the moment. I've got a movie poster for Sunshine and want the signature (got my eye on one) to place under the poster to be framed (yes I'm old and married now, I FRAME posters). It just makes a nice display for a fan of a sportsman, actor, director etc.

Mike Bossy

Wayne Gretzky

Maurice Richard

Jean Beliveau

The 1992/1993 Canadiens:

Patrick Roy

Vincent Damphousse

Kevin Haller

Mario Roberge

Lyle Odelein

Gilbert Dionne

John LeClair

Eric Desjardins

Andre Racicot

Paul DiPietro

J.J. Daigneault

Ron Tugnutt

Mike Keane

Guy Carboneau

Patrice Brisebois

Ron Wilson

Pierre Sevigny

Ed Ronan

Bryan Fogarty

Mathieu Schneider

Brian Bellows

Yvan Cournoyer.

I don't have many autographs except those i get from TNA Meet and Greets, but I do have some others.

Samoa Joe

Homicide

Kurt Angle

So Cal Val

Christian

AJ Styles

Tomko

The Dudleyz

Low-Ki

Hernandez

Christopher Daniels

James Storm

Jackie Moore

Jimmy Rave

Sonjay Dutt

Jay Lethal

Kevin Nash

Alex Shelley

Chris Sabin

Ron Killings

...and I'm sure I've missed some

Nigel McGuinness

Bryan Danielson

Matt Sydal

Delirious

The Briscoes

Morishima

Naomichi Marufuji

KENTA

Pacman Jones

Randy Couture

Rich Franklin

Andrei Arlovski

Tim Sylvia

Hulk Hogan

Ronnie Garvin

I've probably passed up more opportunities than that. I know at the Arnold Classic alone Batista, Cena, Wanderlei, etc. were around and I didn't get theirs. At sporting events I don't do the whole wait around thing to get their signatures, and it costs a lot of money to go to the sports show in Cleveland. My friend goes every year and he got a football signed by Barry Sanders, I think it was 45 for the ball, then 25 for each additional line with stats and/or the HOF class they were in. He has TONS of autographs that I'd love to have like Bob Gibson and so forth.

Edited by ACCBiggz

I have a signed Arkansas Travelers (minor league baseball team) ball and signed photos of Mick Foley & Molly Holly.

-Bushwacker Luke

-Honky Tonk Man

-Several Winnipeg Blue Bombers(Including the two mascots)

-Several Montreal Expos

-Goldie(Winnipeg Goldeyes mascot, who happens to be my former gym teacher)

Not exactly an autograph guy, not exactly a going to places where you would want the autograph of someone guy.

I've got an Evil Dead 2 VHS signed by Bruce Campbell, which I got on eBay because I hadn't got the film yet, and I figured I may as well get a signed copy if there was one going cheap. I've got a Jersey Live Festival leaflet signed by two members of Art Brut, from hanging out with them at said festival, and I've got a copy of the 2nd edition Discworld Companion signed by Terry Pratchett, with the message "In your heart you know it's real", from a book signing many many years ago.

My father and brother also have countless autographs from old Touring Cars and Superbike people, they used to go to Donnington all the time to watch them when we still lived in England, and the most prized of those is a signed Carl Fogarty jacket and shirt.

As for autographs I'd want...there aren't really any. I don't especially treasure them, my signed Pratchett book is as dog-eared and beaten up as any other book to have survived so long, and it wouldn't really prove anything to myself or anyone...maybe if I got a personalised "To, from" like with my Pratchett autograph, maybe, but I'm not interested in just a signature.

The only person who maybe I'd be interested in with just a signature would be Hunter S. Thompson...I saw a signed Fear & Loathing manuscript on eBay once, and it was damn tempting.

That said, I wouldn't mind an autograph from David Lynch, Haruki Murakami, Ralph Steadman, Tom Waits or Björk, but only if I got to meet them to get it. I'm not interested in just buying something they've pre-signed.

My Grandad is friends with the Dad of Jason Wilcox, and when Jason was at Leeds, my Grandad asked Jason's Dad if he could get me some autographs. So I've got a book full of autographs of Leeds players. Who at the time included Rio Ferdinand, Robbie Keane, Jonathan Woodgate and more that I can't remember.

I'll find the book 'n write out what ones I've got.